Powerbook install

Sky McKinley
Hello.  I've been trying to get my g4 powerbook to dual boot OpenBSD
3.8 and OS X.  I partitioned the hard disk with 50 G for OS X and 10 G
for OpenBSD using the OS X partitioner.  I then installed OS X into the
50 G partition.

When I attempt to install OpenBSD, I change the name and type of the 10
G partition to OpenBSD, then go on to slice up the partition into /,
/usr, etc.  When defining the last slice, I usually tell the installer
to use the remaining available space, which I assumed would be the
available space within the 10 G slice.  With the 3.8 install, however,
the installer tries to use up the remaining 54 G or so on the whole
disk.  Not cool!

I manually defined the last slice to end before I hit the 10 G
boundary, but even then my install didn't work properly.  Upon
rebooting, OS X will not start.  The grey screen with the apple comes
up and the little throbber thingy goes round and round, but that's all
it does.

Why is OpenBSD always clobbering my OS X install?  How can I make it
not do that?

Thank you.

- Sky.

Re: Powerbook install

Joel Rees
On 2006.2.23, at 09:55 AM, Sky McKinley wrote:

> Hello.  I've been trying to get my g4 powerbook to dual boot OpenBSD
> 3.8 and OS X.  I partitioned the hard disk with 50 G for OS X and 10 G
> for OpenBSD using the OS X partitioner.  I then installed OS X into
> the 50 G partition.
>
> When I attempt to install OpenBSD, I change the name and type of the
> 10 G partition to OpenBSD, then go on to slice up the partition into
> /, /usr, etc.  When defining the last slice, I usually tell the
> installer to use the remaining available space, which I assumed would
> be the available space within the 10 G slice.  With the 3.8 install,
> however, the installer tries to use up the remaining 54 G or so on the
> whole disk.  Not cool!

You have to tell the partitioning tool (pdisk, was it?) where the
limits of the openbsd partition are. I think it's the "b" command, but
I'm likely misremembering it. Apologies for not taking the time to look
it up, but if you know you're supposed to be looking for it, you won't
miss it.

Once it knows its limits, it behaves well.

> I manually defined the last slice to end before I hit the 10 G
> boundary, but even then my install didn't work properly.  Upon
> rebooting, OS X will not start.  The grey screen with the apple comes
> up and the little throbber thingy goes round and round, but that's all
> it does.
>
> Why is OpenBSD always clobbering my OS X install?  How can I make it
> not do that?
>
> Thank you.
>
> - Sky.

Re: Powerbook install

almeja
I wrote step by step instructions for install OpenBSD in a powerbook, the thing
is that is in spanish, but you can see some photos! maybe this can help you a
little bit....

http://www.blogati.com/instalacion-openbsd-powerbook/

--

Jorge Moreno