Powerbook G4 german keyboard

Marian Hettwer
Hi List,

yesterday I installed OpenBSD 5.0 on my 2006 Powerbook G4 model. First
of all, thanks for an impressive job!
The installation worked like a charm. The powerbook came up with
ethernet, wlan, audio and X working. This is impressive! Thanks :-)

However, I have a few open questions, I couldn't answer myself after
reading the documentation, asking google and cruising the ppc@
mailinglist via gmane.org.

1.) In console mode, using "kbd de", I'm missing some very important
keys. Namely: < > | [ ] { } @
It's kinda hard to use a unix without them... ;)
Any clue where they are? Or how to map them to some keys?

2.) Same counts for X. I just used start x and as said above, I'm glad
that X came up and looked good.
But without them keys, again, it's hard too use.
Even shot myself into the foot when I installed fluxbox and realized,
that ctrl+alt+backspace wasn't working. Crivens!
Does somebody has a good working xmodmap for german keyboard on
powerbook G4 lying around?

I remember a graphical tool which helped building an own xmodmap. But I
just can't remember how that one was called. I tried xev, but that was
just plain confusing.

3.) Battery status: Any tool to read out that one?

If I'm able to solve those questions, I'm a lucky OpenBSD/ppc user :)

While I'm at it, some minor questions:

- Is it possible to switch between Fn keys and the second function, like
brightness, sound volume and that-would-be-awesome, keyboard backlight?
I guess not... but asking doesn't hurt.

Thanks for any help in advance and keep up the good work!

./Marian

PS.: Please keep me CC'ed, I'm not subscribed.

Re: Powerbook G4 german keyboard

Martin Pieuchot-2
Marian,

On 09/12/11(Fri) 19:47, Marian Hettwer wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> yesterday I installed OpenBSD 5.0 on my 2006 Powerbook G4 model.
> First of all, thanks for an impressive job!
> The installation worked like a charm. The powerbook came up with
> ethernet, wlan, audio and X working. This is impressive! Thanks :-)

Do not hesitate to send your dmesg along with your questions/reports it
always help.

> However, I have a few open questions, I couldn't answer myself after
> reading the documentation, asking google and cruising the ppc@
> mailinglist via gmane.org.
>
> 1.) In console mode, using "kbd de", I'm missing some very important
> keys. Namely: < > | [ ] { } @
> It's kinda hard to use a unix without them... ;)
> Any clue where they are? Or how to map them to some keys?

For the moment, most of the European layouts are not really supported in
console with an Apple USB keyboard. It's a known issue and I'm working
on it.

> 2.) Same counts for X. I just used start x and as said above, I'm
> glad that X came up and looked good.
> But without them keys, again, it's hard too use.
> Even shot myself into the foot when I installed fluxbox and
> realized, that ctrl+alt+backspace wasn't working. Crivens!
> Does somebody has a good working xmodmap for german keyboard on
> powerbook G4 lying around?

I don't have an xmodmap, but you should remap one of the Super keys
(mapped to the Apple keys) Super_L/Super_R to Alt_R to be able to write
all your characters.

> I remember a graphical tool which helped building an own xmodmap.
> But I just can't remember how that one was called. I tried xev, but
> that was just plain confusing.
>
> 3.) Battery status: Any tool to read out that one?

have a look at apm(4) and apmd(8)

Martin

Re: Powerbook G4 german keyboard

Martin Pieuchot-2
On 09/12/11(Fri) 19:47, Marian Hettwer wrote:
> [...]
> While I'm at it, some minor questions:
>
> - Is it possible to switch between Fn keys and the second function,
> like brightness, sound volume and that-would-be-awesome, keyboard
> backlight?

It's possible in -current

Re: Powerbook G4 german keyboard

Christian Weisgerber
Marian Hettwer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I remember a graphical tool which helped building an own xmodmap. But I
> just can't remember how that one was called.

ports/x11/xkeycaps