PowerMac G5 7,2 root & swap on SATA

Ian Allison
Hi List,

I have a PowerMac7,2 Dual PPC970 which I attempting to put OpenBSD on. A
post from last month
(http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=141215377210183&w=2) indicated that
they were having trouble with the root and swap partitions using the MP
kernel, but that the SP kernel was working fine for them. I get stuck at
the same point with both the MP and SP kernels, the final line I see
during a boot is

root on wd0a (0dd4441153447d67.a) swap on wd0b dump on wd0b

or occasionally

drm: initializing kernel modesetting (R350 0x1002:0x4E48 0x1002:0x4E48)

Then the system just hangs, eventually it spins up the fans and I power
it off.

I see similar behavior with SP and MP on both 5.5 and 5.6. bsd.rd works
fine; I can complete the partitioning and labeling of the disk, install
the sets and boot into bsd.rd and mount / (or any other partition). The
problem only seems to happen when trying to boot the system with the SP
or MP kernels.

My guess was that this is related to the last bullet point under
"Unsupported Hardware" which says that SATA "does not work on some
PowerMac G5 and Xserve G5 systems". My wd0 is indeed SATA but I wanted
to confirm that the problem I am having is a known issue.

I am currently trying to extract a dmesg from the bsd.rd but I'm not
having much luck.

Thanks in advance,
-Ian.

Re: PowerMac G5 7,2 root & swap on SATA

Martin Pieuchot-2
Hello Ian,

On 01/11/14(Sat) 10:31, Ian Allison wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I have a PowerMac7,2 Dual PPC970 which I attempting to put OpenBSD on. A
> post from last month
> (http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=141215377210183&w=2) indicated that
> they were having trouble with the root and swap partitions using the MP
> kernel, but that the SP kernel was working fine for them. I get stuck at
> the same point with both the MP and SP kernels, the final line I see
> during a boot is
>
> root on wd0a (0dd4441153447d67.a) swap on wd0b dump on wd0b
>
> or occasionally
>
> drm: initializing kernel modesetting (R350 0x1002:0x4E48 0x1002:0x4E48)
>
> Then the system just hangs, eventually it spins up the fans and I power
> it off.
>
> I see similar behavior with SP and MP on both 5.5 and 5.6. bsd.rd works
> fine; I can complete the partitioning and labeling of the disk, install
> the sets and boot into bsd.rd and mount / (or any other partition). The
> problem only seems to happen when trying to boot the system with the SP
> or MP kernels.
>

> My guess was that this is related to the last bullet point under
> "Unsupported Hardware" which says that SATA "does not work on some
> PowerMac G5 and Xserve G5 systems". My wd0 is indeed SATA but I wanted
> to confirm that the problem I am having is a known issue.
>
> I am currently trying to extract a dmesg from the bsd.rd but I'm not
> having much luck.

There's a problem related to radeondrm(4) on such machines.  If you
don't need X, you can disable it and the kernel will fall back to
vgafb(4) like in the RAMDISK.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 02:12:41PM +0100, Martin Pieuchot wrote:

> On 01/11/14(Sat) 10:31, Ian Allison wrote:
> > the same point with both the MP and SP kernels, the final line I see
> > during a boot is
> >
> > root on wd0a (0dd4441153447d67.a) swap on wd0b dump on wd0b
> >
> > or occasionally
> >
> > drm: initializing kernel modesetting (R350 0x1002:0x4E48 0x1002:0x4E48)
>
> There's a problem related to radeondrm(4) on such machines.  If you
> don't need X, you can disable it and the kernel will fall back to
> vgafb(4) like in the RAMDISK.

Thanks Martin, that worked! Out of interest I now see exactly the same
behavior as the post I referenced before
(http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=141215377210183&w=2). MP doesn't get
past mounting root, but SP works just fine. I'll take your advice from
that post and stick to SP for the moment.

Thanks,
  Ian.