PowerMac 11,2 status

Donovan Watteau
Hello,

I was recently offered a G5 which is not supported yet by OpenBSD
(per www.openbsd.org/macppc.html):
    * Power Macintosh G5 (October 2005, dual core (PowerMac 11,2))
      is not supported yet.
    * SATA does not work on PowerMac G5 and Xserve G5 systems.
(I do have the PowerMac 11,2 model)

I was wondering what is preventing this hardware from being
supported.  Especially, if this is because of a lack of access
to the hardware, I could provide such an access to the OpenBSD
developpers, or I could help by testing kernels or such.

Having this running OpenBSD would help testing and building big
ppc ports, so I'd gladly help making it supported if this is
possible!

BTW, a big thank you to Dale Rahn for the PowerPC interrupt
rewrite.  This fixed all the "device timeout" I was having
with wd0 and bm0 on my B&W G3.  I haven't experienced a single
device timeout since then.

Thanks again,
Donovan.

Re: PowerMac 11,2 status

Jonathan Gray-11
The final models had a different host bridge (u4 instead of u3).

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 10:43:47AM +0200, Donovan Watteau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was recently offered a G5 which is not supported yet by OpenBSD
> (per www.openbsd.org/macppc.html):
>     * Power Macintosh G5 (October 2005, dual core (PowerMac 11,2))
>       is not supported yet.
>     * SATA does not work on PowerMac G5 and Xserve G5 systems.
> (I do have the PowerMac 11,2 model)
>
> I was wondering what is preventing this hardware from being
> supported.  Especially, if this is because of a lack of access
> to the hardware, I could provide such an access to the OpenBSD
> developpers, or I could help by testing kernels or such.
>
> Having this running OpenBSD would help testing and building big
> ppc ports, so I'd gladly help making it supported if this is
> possible!
>
> BTW, a big thank you to Dale Rahn for the PowerPC interrupt
> rewrite.  This fixed all the "device timeout" I was having
> with wd0 and bm0 on my B&W G3.  I haven't experienced a single
> device timeout since then.
>
> Thanks again,
> Donovan.

Re: PowerMac 11,2 status

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 20:16:34 +1000
> From: Jonathan Gray <[hidden email]>
>
> The final models had a different host bridge (u4 instead of u3).

Not sure if that was the big stumbling block though.  It might
actually make things easier since apparently the u4 is in fact an IBM
CPC945 bridge for wich documentation is available.

As usual the problem is to get people with the appropriate skill and
time to get access to the right hardware.