PowerBook6,7 usb install success

rgcinjp
ppc@

just sharing information about this post
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=155231977928919&q=mbox

succeeded in installing 6.6-release on an iBook G4 (PowerBook6,7) via a USB stick.

a micro SD -> USB adapter did not work!
a true USB stick (Sandisk Cruzer) in my case worked properly

if the OF device tree does not show a /disk@N i suggest using another USB stick

yorosiku ~

Re: PowerBook6,7 usb install success

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
Hi yorosiku

Good to hear it worked - I wasn't sure how useful these notes were.

Thanks!

Regards,
Wolfgang

January 16, 2020 7:27 AM, "Wolfgang Pfeiffer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi yorosiku
>
> Good to hear it worked - I wasn't sure how useful these notes were.

adding some more notes:

other people have already described the posibility of booting via USB

2006 http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384

2010 http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20101011105729488

but not for use in OpenBSD or any *nix system.

- the above documents mention a 'ud' device showing up in 'devalias'.
i verified this does occur only if the USB stick is recognized. this
is a very clear indication you can boot off the USB stick.

- hot-plug seems sketchy. i got the good results by plugging in the
USB stick then powering on the machine.

- if the USB stick does not get detected try the other USB port. still
not detected, try another USB stick.

tested the USB detection/boot on:

Powerbook6,7 OF version 4.9.3f0 07/05/05
Powerbook5,8 OF version 4.9.6f0 10/05/05

yorosiku ~

BTW, *yorosiku* is like "Best Regards" in Japanese

> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Wolfgang
>
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 08:50:22AM +0900, rgc wrote:
>
>> ppc@
>>
>> just sharing information about this post
>> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=155231977928919&q=mbox
>>
>> succeeded in installing 6.6-release on an iBook G4 (PowerBook6,7) via a USB stick.
>>
>> a micro SD -> USB adapter did not work!
>> a true USB stick (Sandisk Cruzer) in my case worked properly
>>
>> if the OF device tree does not show a /disk@N i suggest using another USB stick
>>
>> yorosiku ~

Re: PowerBook6,7 usb install success

rgcinjp
> tested the USB detection/boot on:
>
> Powerbook6,7 OF version 4.9.3f0 07/05/05
> Powerbook5,8 OF version 4.9.6f0 10/05/05

s/OF/BootROM/

yorosiku ~