PowerBook G4 3.5 hangs during boot

lnelson
I have just been handed a PowerBook G4 3.5 with no OS.  I am attempting
 to install the latest snapshot as of June 13.  The install from CDROM
completes and it syncs time, so I know that it has working Ethernet
connectivity.

During boot after install, it hangs.  The last lines the kernel prints
are:

bootpath: /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:/bsd
root on wd0a (d857303cb8fe2d43.a) swap on wd0b dump on wd0b
initializing kernel modesetting (RV250 0x1002:0x4C66 0X1002:0X4C66
0X01).
[drm] *ERROR* Unable to locate a BIOS ROM
radeon_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/R200_cp.bin"
[drm] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware!
drm:pid0:r100_startup *ERROR* failed initializing CP (-2)
drm:pid:r100_init *ERROR* Disabling GPU acceleration

There is no IP connectivity at this point, so I don't seem to have any
way to poke around in the machine.  There is no built-in serial, and
even if I used a Serial/USB adapter, I don't know if it would be
recognized let alone spin up a tty.

What additional information can I provide or what should I attempt
next?

Link to picture of screen after freeze:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/29irzpAygf3n9koG9

Thanks in advance for any help

Re: PowerBook G4 3.5 hangs during boot

Jonathan Gray-11
On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 08:46:57PM -0700, Lee Nelson wrote:

> I have just been handed a PowerBook G4 3.5 with no OS.  I am attempting
>  to install the latest snapshot as of June 13.  The install from CDROM
> completes and it syncs time, so I know that it has working Ethernet
> connectivity.
>
> During boot after install, it hangs.  The last lines the kernel prints
> are:
>
> bootpath: /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:/bsd
> root on wd0a (d857303cb8fe2d43.a) swap on wd0b dump on wd0b
> initializing kernel modesetting (RV250 0x1002:0x4C66 0X1002:0X4C66
> 0X01).
> [drm] *ERROR* Unable to locate a BIOS ROM
> radeon_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/R200_cp.bin"
> [drm] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware!
> drm:pid0:r100_startup *ERROR* failed initializing CP (-2)
> drm:pid:r100_init *ERROR* Disabling GPU acceleration
>
> There is no IP connectivity at this point, so I don't seem to have any
> way to poke around in the machine.  There is no built-in serial, and
> even if I used a Serial/USB adapter, I don't know if it would be
> recognized let alone spin up a tty.
>
> What additional information can I provide or what should I attempt
> next?

It is possible the radeondrm force detach path is broken on macppc,
I have no way of testing it.

You should be able to boot without radeondrm, install the firmware
and reboot with something along the lines of:

        boot -c
        disable radeondrm*
        quit

Then login and run

        fw_update radeondrm
        reboot

> Link to picture of screen after freeze:
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/29irzpAygf3n9koG9
>
> Thanks in advance for any help

Re: PowerBook G4 3.5 hangs during boot

lnelson
Thank you so much. I did not know those boot commands.