Postscript printer recommendations

Re: Postscript printer recommendations

Roderick

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019, Jonathan Drews wrote:

> These are the notes I made for printing on my old OpenBSD computer: [...]

It seems too complicated. In principle only the a field "if" to
printcap should be necessary.

> 1) Go to http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=HP
> and look for the Deskjet 6940

Unfortunately dj6940 uses hplip. A filter from HP. That is not
ghostscript.

Does hplip run in OpenBSD? Do someone know how to configure a
printer with hplip? Ist it possible with lpd or only cups?

Rodrigo

Re: Postscript printer recommendations

Jonathan Drews-3
On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 08:06:20AM +0000, Roderick wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2019, Jonathan Drews wrote:
>
> > These are the notes I made for printing on my old OpenBSD computer: [...]
>
> It seems too complicated. In principle only the a field "if" to
> printcap should be necessary.
>
> > 1) Go to http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=HP
> > and look for the Deskjet 6940
>
> Unfortunately dj6940 uses hplip. A filter from HP. That is not
> ghostscript.
>
> Does hplip run in OpenBSD? Do someone know how to configure a
> printer with hplip? Ist it possible with lpd or only cups?
>
> Rodrigo

Hi Rodrigo:

 I spent most of tonight and into the early morning trying
to get printing working on OpenBSD, without using CUPS. I
downloaded and compiled foomatic-rip and got it installed. It
worked but the *.ppd file could not be read. I got this message
from lpd-errs:

foomatic-rip version 4.0.12.246 running...
called with arguments: '-w132', '-l66', '-i0', '-n', 'root', '-j',
'PrintTest.txt', '-h',
+'jaguar.users.co', '/usr/local/sbin/hp-deskjet_6940_series.ppd
.
.
.
CUPS filter for this PPD file not found ....

so the *.ppd files depend on CUPS, it seems.

At this point, I am going to look for another printer that is more
OpenBSD friendly. My Desjet 6940 is pretty old and the cartridges
cost a lot (> USD $120.00)

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Re: Postscript printer recommendations

Stuart Henderson
On 2019-07-16, Jonathan Drews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 08:06:20AM +0000, Roderick wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 16 Jul 2019, Jonathan Drews wrote:
>>
>> > These are the notes I made for printing on my old OpenBSD computer: [...]
>>
>> It seems too complicated. In principle only the a field "if" to
>> printcap should be necessary.
>>
>> > 1) Go to http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=HP
>> > and look for the Deskjet 6940
>>
>> Unfortunately dj6940 uses hplip. A filter from HP. That is not
>> ghostscript.
>>
>> Does hplip run in OpenBSD? Do someone know how to configure a
>> printer with hplip? Ist it possible with lpd or only cups?
>>
>> Rodrigo
>>
> Hi Rodrigo:
>
>  I spent most of tonight and into the early morning trying
> to get printing working on OpenBSD, without using CUPS. I
> downloaded and compiled foomatic-rip and got it installed. It
> worked but the *.ppd file could not be read. I got this message
> from lpd-errs:
>
> foomatic-rip version 4.0.12.246 running...
> called with arguments: '-w132', '-l66', '-i0', '-n', 'root', '-j',
> 'PrintTest.txt', '-h',
> +'jaguar.users.co', '/usr/local/sbin/hp-deskjet_6940_series.ppd
> .
> .
> .
> CUPS filter for this PPD file not found ....
>
> so the *.ppd files depend on CUPS, it seems.
>

> At this point, I am going to look for another printer that is more
> OpenBSD friendly. My Desjet 6940 is pretty old and the cartridges
> cost a lot (> USD $120.00)
>
> Kind regards,
> Jonathan

You are making life much harder for yourself by rejecting CUPS.

Re: Postscript printer recommendations

gjones5555
This may help:

https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/print/cups-filters/pkg/README?rev=1.10

On 7/16/19 7:13 AM, Jonathan Drews wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 08:06:20AM +0000, Roderick wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Jul 2019, Jonathan Drews wrote:
>>
>>> These are the notes I made for printing on my old OpenBSD computer: [...]
>> It seems too complicated. In principle only the a field "if" to
>> printcap should be necessary.
>>
>>> 1) Go to http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=HP
>>> and look for the Deskjet 6940
>> Unfortunately dj6940 uses hplip. A filter from HP. That is not
>> ghostscript.
>>
>> Does hplip run in OpenBSD? Do someone know how to configure a
>> printer with hplip? Ist it possible with lpd or only cups?
>>
>> Rodrigo
>>
> Hi Rodrigo:
>
>   I spent most of tonight and into the early morning trying
> to get printing working on OpenBSD, without using CUPS. I
> downloaded and compiled foomatic-rip and got it installed. It
> worked but the *.ppd file could not be read. I got this message
> from lpd-errs:
>
> foomatic-rip version 4.0.12.246 running...
> called with arguments: '-w132', '-l66', '-i0', '-n', 'root', '-j',
> 'PrintTest.txt', '-h',
> +'jaguar.users.co', '/usr/local/sbin/hp-deskjet_6940_series.ppd
> .
> .
> .
> CUPS filter for this PPD file not found ....
>
> so the *.ppd files depend on CUPS, it seems.
>

> At this point, I am going to look for another printer that is more
> OpenBSD friendly. My Desjet 6940 is pretty old and the cartridges
> cost a lot (> USD $120.00)
>
> Kind regards,
> Jonathan

Re: Postscript printer recommendations

BSD user-3

On 7/16/19 4:13 AM, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 08:06:20AM +0000, Roderick wrote:
>
> At this point, I am going to look for another printer that is more
> OpenBSD friendly. My Desjet 6940 is pretty old and the cartridges
> cost a lot (> USD $120.00)
>
> Kind regards,
> Jonathan

I may just be a luddite, but after wasting multiple days messing around
with cups, ghostscript, hplip et al, I decided it was just easier to
print everything via postscript.

My printing "workflow" is quite rudimentary, but it has yet to fail me.
I set up a simple lpd server on my desktop pointing to my Brother
printer, from which I can print raw .txt, pdf or postscript files
directly via lpr/lpd. If I find myself needing to print a file that
isn't in one of these formats, I simply convert them to that format
manually.

If I need to print a .doc or .odt file, I just open them in LibreOffice
and export them to pdf, which can then be printed via lpr. (As an aside,
LibreOffice supports rendering pages to postscript and printing them
directly as it seems to detect my lpd setup and offers "Generic Printer"
as an option, allowing me to print directly from within LibreOffice.)

This solution doesn't offer the convenience of automagically converting
arbitrary file formats to PCL or whatever the printer format of the day
is, but it works for me without having to have add a ridiculous number
of packages and configs.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 10:36:03AM -0700, BSD user wrote:

> On 7/16/19 4:13 AM, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 08:06:20AM +0000, Roderick wrote:
> >
> > At this point, I am going to look for another printer that is more
> > OpenBSD friendly. My Desjet 6940 is pretty old and the cartridges
> > cost a lot (> USD $120.00)
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Jonathan
> >

> I may just be a luddite, but after wasting multiple days messing around
> with cups, ghostscript, hplip et al, I decided it was just easier to
> print everything via postscript.

.
.
.
> This solution doesn't offer the convenience of automagically converting
> arbitrary file formats to PCL or whatever the printer format of the day
> is, but it works for me without having to have add a ridiculous number
> of packages and configs.

Thanks Roderick:

I got to this instruction in the CUPS Readme:

*** WARNING ***
ulpt(4) needs to be disabled in the kernel (see config(8)) or the printer
will not be available to libusb.

I read the manpage for config (8) and I can't seem to find the appropriate
configuration file in /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile. I'll have to
read up on compiling the kernel and modifying it's configuration file.
Once again thanks for all the generous help form you guys.

Regards,
Jonathan

On 7/16/19 11:03 AM, Jonathan Drews wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 10:36:03AM -0700, BSD user wrote:
>>

>> On 7/16/19 4:13 AM, Jonathan Drews wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 08:06:20AM +0000, Roderick wrote:
>>>
>>> At this point, I am going to look for another printer that is more
>>> OpenBSD friendly. My Desjet 6940 is pretty old and the cartridges
>>> cost a lot (> USD $120.00)
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Jonathan
>>>

>> I may just be a luddite, but after wasting multiple days messing around
>> with cups, ghostscript, hplip et al, I decided it was just easier to
>> print everything via postscript.
>>
> .
> .
> .
>> This solution doesn't offer the convenience of automagically converting
>> arbitrary file formats to PCL or whatever the printer format of the day
>> is, but it works for me without having to have add a ridiculous number
>> of packages and configs.
>>

> Thanks Roderick:
>
> I got to this instruction in the CUPS Readme:
>

> *** WARNING ***
> ulpt(4) needs to be disabled in the kernel (see config(8)) or the printer
> will not be available to libusb.
>

> I read the manpage for config (8) and I can't seem to find the appropriate
> configuration file in /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile. I'll have to
> read up on compiling the kernel and modifying it's configuration file.
> Once again thanks for all the generous help form you guys.
>
> Regards,
> Jonathan

I think you can temporarily disable ulpt via ukc, but I can't confirm as
I'm currently travelling.

As sthen@ said (IIRC) earlier in the thread, if your printer has
networking (ethernet or wifi) support, it's usually easiest to just
print over the network as it saves having to mess with kernel configs
and device node permissions.

Because I don't trust printers and their ancient firmware and "cloud"
features, I threw my printer on an isolated VLAN with a firewall rule
set in my router to block any outgoing internet traffic from the printer.

Cheers

Re: Postscript printer recommendations

Robert Klein
On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 20:03:14 +0200,
Jonathan Drews wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 10:36:03AM -0700, BSD user wrote:
> >

> > On 7/16/19 4:13 AM, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 08:06:20AM +0000, Roderick wrote:
> > >
> > > At this point, I am going to look for another printer that is more
> > > OpenBSD friendly. My Desjet 6940 is pretty old and the cartridges
> > > cost a lot (> USD $120.00)
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > > Jonathan
> > >

> > I may just be a luddite, but after wasting multiple days messing around
> > with cups, ghostscript, hplip et al, I decided it was just easier to
> > print everything via postscript.
> >
> .
> .
> .
> > This solution doesn't offer the convenience of automagically converting
> > arbitrary file formats to PCL or whatever the printer format of the day
> > is, but it works for me without having to have add a ridiculous number
> > of packages and configs.
> >

> Thanks Roderick:
>
> I got to this instruction in the CUPS Readme:
>

> *** WARNING ***
> ulpt(4) needs to be disabled in the kernel (see config(8)) or the printer
> will not be available to libusb.
>

> I read the manpage for config (8) and I can't seem to find the appropriate
> configuration file in /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile. I'll have to
> read up on compiling the kernel and modifying it's configuration file.
> Once again thanks for all the generous help form you guys.

How about:

config -ef /bsd <<EOF
disable ulpt
quit
EOF

Dunno if that still works, though, I networked my printer.

Best regards
Robert

Re: Postscript printer recommendations

Paolo Aglialoro
+1 :)))

For instance, with epson C5790 (but also 5690, etc all xx90 printers) the
PPD file is available:
http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02/DriverDownloadInfo.do?LG2=IT&CN2=&DSCMI=69279&DSCCHK=7ab2791f6b67457707398fa7a534e6acdf4bce44

and CUPS does the job!

On 2019-07-16, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about:
>
> config -ef /bsd <<EOF
> disable ulpt
> quit
> EOF
>

> Dunno if that still works, though, I networked my printer.

It still works, but it prevents "kernel reordering" from taking place, which is
both a security mitigation and (for release users) the mechanism used for applying
syspatches to the kernel. And of course for snapshot users it needs to be
re-applied every update. We don't have a good solution for this yet.

Re: Postscript printer recommendations

Gregory Edigarov-5
Just for myself  until the better solution arive I for a while have put
such lines into rc.shutdown

On 18.07.19 10:57, Gregory Edigarov wrote:
> Just for myself  until the better solution arive I for a while have
> put such lines into rc.shutdown

also, how about having kernel.conf file, that will be used by rc script
after kernel relinking.

i.e something like this in the end of /etc/rc

if [ -f /etc/kernel.conf ]; then

config -ef /bsd < /etc/kernel.conf

fi

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 11:18:16AM -0700, BSD user wrote:

> On 7/16/19 11:03 AM, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> >
> > *** WARNING ***
> > ulpt(4) needs to be disabled in the kernel (see config(8)) or the printer
> > will not be available to libusb.
> >

> > I read the manpage for config (8) and I can't seem to find the appropriate
> > configuration file in /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile. I'll have to
> > read up on compiling the kernel and modifying it's configuration file.
> > Once again thanks for all the generous help form you guys.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jonathan
> >

> I think you can temporarily disable ulpt via ukc, but I can't confirm as
> I'm currently travelling.
>
> As sthen@ said (IIRC) earlier in the thread, if your printer has
> networking (ethernet or wifi) support, it's usually easiest to just
> print over the network as it saves having to mess with kernel configs
> and device node permissions.

Thanks for your suggestion. I got a Xerox Phaser 6022 Laser printer. It's
working great. I made a separate post about configuring it using
CUPS.

Re: Postscript printer recommendations

Stuart Longland
On 14/7/19 4:09 pm, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> "Unlike PCL, PostScript is device independent. This means that the
> PostScript language creates all of the print data and does not rely
> on the printer for print data. This allow the output to be
> consistent when printed on more than one type of printer or print
> device. Specifically, the graphic objects will be consistent and in
> some cases of higher quality than PCL."

This could be re-written:

"Unlike PCL, PostScript is device independent.   that the print quality
is at the mercy of the PostScript interpreter implemented inside the
printer.  If they have done a good job, graphic objects will be
consistent and in some cases of higher quality than PCL, but can equally
be terrible if the firmware developer has done a shoddy job."

Really it's just moving the problem.  If the PostScript interpreter in
the printer does a poor job of generating the raster image to be
printed, it's going to look crap no matter what.

That does mean that PCL printers do have an up-side in that you can at
least control the PostScript→PCL end of the equation, and if the PCL is
well documented, it is theoretically possible to get good quality output.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.