Polish localization

Radek
Hello,

I'm trying to set Polish locales in my new desktop (6.4/amd64, xenodm, WindowMaker).

$ cat /etc/kbdtype
pl

$ cat /etc/wsconsctl.conf
keyboard.encoding=pl

$ grep LC ~/.xsession
export LC_CTYPE="pl_PL.UTF-8"

$ grep LC ~/.profile
export LC_CTYPE="pl_PL.UTF-8"

It doesn't work as expected. I can't type Polish characters anywhere (console, X). I have English menu bars in Firefox and in claws-mail.

Then, I changed LC_CTYPE to LC_ALL
I still can't type Polish characters anywhere but now I have Polish menu bar in claws-mail.
Did I miss something?

$ locale
LANG=
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

radek

Re: Polish localization

Dumitru Moldovan-2
On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 02:52:21PM +0000, Radek wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to set Polish locales in my new desktop (6.4/amd64, xenodm, WindowMaker).
>
> […]

Don't know about the console, but to set (default) Polish keyboard in X
you need to run "setxkbmap pl", eg. in your .xsession file.

To have Polish interface displayed (when available) you need to set LANG
and LC_MESSAGES as pl_PL.UTF-8 (not sure if both or only one of it).
Setting LC_ALL will do that too (and more).

For Firefox there is a separate package for the Polish localization:
firefox-i18n-pl.  For the other program, I don't know…  Maybe nobody
localized it or the translation was removed?

HTH!

Re: Polish localization

Radek
> Don't know about the console,
Sorry, I meant XTERM.

>but to set (default) Polish keyboard in X
>you need to run "setxkbmap pl", eg. in your .xsession file.
Thank you, that is exactly what I need!
I just want to be able to type and display Polish characters in X. Polish interfaces are not obligatorily needed.

--
radek