Please help upvote OpenBSD at DigitalOcean (again)

Please help upvote OpenBSD at DigitalOcean (again)

opendaddy
Hi,

As we all know DigitalOcean now supports FreeBSD. Despite over half of the upvotes at the main BSD thread (https://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digitalocean/suggestions/3232571-support-bsd-os) being for OpenBSD, OpenBSD users have been forced to open up their own separate request thread:

http://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digitalocean/suggestions/6963821-support-openbsd

So please stop by and give us your upvotes.

Thanks!

O.D.

Re: Please help advertise DigitalOcean on OpenBSD Misc (again)

Steven Shockley
On 1/19/2015 9:06 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> So please stop by and give us your upvotes.

So, is this advertising or SEO?

Re: Please help advertise DigitalOcean on OpenBSD Misc (again)

Libertas
On 01/20/2015 09:12 PM, Steve Shockley wrote:
>> So please stop by and give us your upvotes.
>
> So, is this advertising or SEO?

Probably not. They're a cheap, common, and reliable provider, and a lot
of people would like to run OpenBSD with them.

Personally, I got $100 of credit from the Github Student Developer Pack
(and you can too, if you're a college student:
https://education.github.com/), and I'd rather be running OpenBSD on it
than Debian or FreeBSD.

        Libertas

Re: Please help advertise DigitalOcean on OpenBSD Misc (again)

patric conant
On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Libertas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/20/2015 09:12 PM, Steve Shockley wrote:
> > On 1/19/2015 9:06 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >> So please stop by and give us your upvotes.
> >
> > So, is this advertising or SEO?
> >

> Probably not. They're a cheap, common, and reliable provider, and a lot
> of people would like to run OpenBSD with them.
>
> Personally, I got $100 of credit from the Github Student Developer Pack
> (and you can too, if you're a college student:
> https://education.github.com/), and I'd rather be running OpenBSD on it
> than Debian or FreeBSD.
>
>         Libertas
>
> They don't offer OpenBSD,
https://www.digitalocean.com/features/one-click-apps/ and without some
relevance to OpenBSD, this message doesn't belong on this list. In the
event that DigitalOcean does someday offer something relevant to this list,
like OpenBSD hosting, it would be a shame if they'd alienated this
potential market with spam. I'd like to never see DigitalOcean discussed on
misc@ again, while they have no OpenBSD offerings.

Re: Please help advertise DigitalOcean on OpenBSD Misc (again)

Constantine A. Murenin
On 20 January 2015 at 18:12, Steve Shockley <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> So please stop by and give us your upvotes.
>

> So, is this advertising or SEO?

DigitalOcean is a shady provider with a lack of documentation, who
doesn't even give you IPv6 address space across their fleet, or in
those few locations they do, they do it in violation of all known RFCs
and the best practices -- I've heard a rumour that they only give out
16 IPv6 addresses.  Why a rumour?  Because, as already mentioned, they
completely lack the documentation!

I don't know why you would want to run OpenBSD on it.  If you're just
in it for the "OpenBSD" part, just go with real hardware like
online.net -- they start at 5,99 EUR/mo, there's not much reason to
have to rent a virtual server if dedi is that cheap.

Lots of other dedi options at http://lowendcore.com/.

With dedi prices that low, virtual hosting for OpenBSD is kinda dead, IMHO.

C.

Re: Please help advertise DigitalOcean on OpenBSD Misc (again)

Calvin
Or you can just use any cheap KVM-based VPS provider that allows you to upload ISOs.

On 20 January 2015 at 18:12, Steve Shockley <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> So please stop by and give us your upvotes.
>

> So, is this advertising or SEO?

DigitalOcean is a shady provider with a lack of documentation, who doesn't even give you IPv6 address space across their fleet, or in those few locations they do, they do it in violation of all known RFCs and the best practices -- I've heard a rumour that they only give out
16 IPv6 addresses.  Why a rumour?  Because, as already mentioned, they completely lack the documentation!

I don't know why you would want to run OpenBSD on it.  If you're just in it for the "OpenBSD" part, just go with real hardware like online.net -- they start at 5,99 EUR/mo, there's not much reason to have to rent a virtual server if dedi is that cheap.

Lots of other dedi options at http://lowendcore.com/.

With dedi prices that low, virtual hosting for OpenBSD is kinda dead, IMHO.

C.

Re: Please help advertise DigitalOcean on OpenBSD Misc (again)

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera-2
wrote:

> > On 1/19/2015 9:06 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >>
> >> So please stop by and give us your upvotes.
> >

> > So, is this advertising or SEO?
>
> DigitalOcean is a shady provider with a lack of documentation, who
> doesn't even give you IPv6 address space across their fleet, or in
> those few locations they do, they do it in violation of all known RFCs
> and the best practices -- I've heard a rumour that they only give out
> 16 IPv6 addresses.  Why a rumour?  Because, as already mentioned, they
> completely lack the documentation!

For those interested, I can confirm this (copy-paste from their dev console):

    Public IPv6 Network
    Public IPv6 Address:    2a03:b0c0:1:d0::190:c001/64
    Public IPv6 Gateway:    2a03:b0c0:1:d0::1
    Configurable address range:     2a03:b0c0:1:d0::190:c000 -
2a03:b0c0:1:d0::190:c00f

> I don't know why you would want to run OpenBSD on it.  If you're just
> in it for the "OpenBSD" part, just go with real hardware like
> online.net -- they start at 5,99 EUR/mo, there's not much reason to
> have to rent a virtual server if dedi is that cheap.
>
> Lots of other dedi options at http://lowendcore.com/.
>
> With dedi prices that low, virtual hosting for OpenBSD is kinda dead, IMHO.

DO give you 100USD free if you're a student/teacher. At 5USD a month, that's
20months free. Hard to beat that, regrettably.

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera
A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.