Play mono mp3s in stereo?

Craig Skinner-3
Hello,

A set of mp3 recordings has been made in mono (right channel only),
which is irritating to listen to with only one speaker/headphone.

Is there a way to play these through both left & right equally?

xmms is what I usually use.

Craig Skinner | http://twitter.com/Craig_Skinner http://linkd.in/yGqkv7

Re: Play mono mp3s in stereo?

Neil Hughes-3
On 07/26/2015 09:00 AM, Craig Skinner wrote:

> A set of mp3 recordings has been made in mono (right channel only),
> which is irritating to listen to with only one speaker/headphone.
>
> Is there a way to play these through both left & right equally?
>
> xmms is what I usually use.

If you don't mind the command-line, you could use mpg123 --stereo

Neil

Re: Play mono mp3s in stereo?

Craig Skinner-3
On 2015-07-26 Sun 16:21 PM |, Neil Hughes wrote:

> If you don't mind the command-line, you could use mpg123 --stereo

Nice one!

Re: Play mono mp3s in stereo?

Christian Weisgerber
On 2015-07-26, Craig Skinner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A set of mp3 recordings has been made in mono (right channel only),
> which is irritating to listen to with only one speaker/headphone.
> Is there a way to play these through both left & right equally?

If I had such a file, I'd investigate mpg123's options.

$ mpg123 --longhelp
 -0     --left --single0   play only left channel
 -1     --right --single1  play only right channel
 -m     --mono --mix       mix stereo to mono
        --stereo           duplicate mono channel

Not sure how these interact exactly, but I'd start there.

> xmms is what I usually use.

Again, under...

  -> Preferences
     -> Audio I/O Plugins
        -> MPEG Layer 1/2/3 Player
           -> Configure
              -> Decoder

... there's a "Mono" button that I'd try.