Pinebook (if anyones up for it)

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pinebook (if anyones up for it)

Christer Solskogen-3
Hi!

I've gotten myself a Pinebook (https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=3707) - and
as far as I understand it's not supported by OpenBSD. If somebody is up for
the job, order one and I'll pay for it.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pinebook (if anyones up for it)

Andrew Gwozdziewycz-2
My understanding is that there is some support for the Pine64 platform, though it requires access to the pins to get a serial console. I haven't opened mine up yet, but I assume it's a Pine64, on a different footprint PCB. Though... I have no idea about any other IO pins...

> On May 13, 2017, at 13:27, Christer Solskogen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I've gotten myself a Pinebook (https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=3707) - and
> as far as I understand it's not supported by OpenBSD. If somebody is up for
> the job, order one and I'll pay for it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pinebook (if anyones up for it)

Christer Solskogen-3
On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Andrew Gwozdziewycz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My understanding is that there is some support for the Pine64 platform,
> though it requires access to the pins to get a serial console. I haven't
> opened mine up yet, but I assume it's a Pine64, on a different footprint
> PCB. Though... I have no idea about any other IO pins...
>

And that's why I offered to buy one to a OpenBSD developer :-)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pinebook (if anyones up for it)

Alex Naumov
Hello,

there is one enthusiast, who wants to make it possible:
http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Working-on-support-for-Pinebook-td318562.html

I don't know the current state, but I also have a Pinebook and would
like to run OpenBSD on it.


Some info you can find there: https://www.openbsd.org/arm64.html
======
The Pine64 currently requires an image based on a non-redistributable
boot0 file from Allwinner to be installed on the system disk. This
will hopefully be resolved by a replacement in a future U-Boot
release. The install media does not include these boot images or a
Pine64 device tree. For similar reasons we do not provide install
media for the Firefly-RK3399 either.
======

So, it seems that it's impossible yet.


Cheers,
Alex

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Christer Solskogen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Andrew Gwozdziewycz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that there is some support for the Pine64 platform,
>> though it requires access to the pins to get a serial console. I haven't
>> opened mine up yet, but I assume it's a Pine64, on a different footprint
>> PCB. Though... I have no idea about any other IO pins...
>>
>
> And that's why I offered to buy one to a OpenBSD developer :-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pinebook (if anyones up for it)

Rui Ribeiro
In reply to this post by Christer Solskogen-3
The pinebook is reportedly neither well engineered and there are
non-confirmed rumours it also do not has a reliable system/developer team.

The future of their support appears to be no better than your regular
off-the-mill Chinese no-name boards.

Whilst the idea in paper sounds good, I would stay way from it.

On 14 August 2017 at 13:27, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Probably the most sensitive spot will be implementing proper Mali chip
> graphics support for X.
>
> See this post: http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-arm&m=150069580728434&w=2 .
>
> As I understand it, someone implemented an unaccelerated, blob-free
> graphics driver for the Mali.
>
> There's more ARM laptops out there, for instance the Samsung Chromebook
> Plus.
>
> Tinker
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > there is one enthusiast, who wants to make it possible:
> > http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Working-on-
> support-for-Pinebook-td318562.html
> >
> > I don't know the current state, but I also have a Pinebook and would
> > like to run OpenBSD on it.
> >
> >
> > Some info you can find there: https://www.openbsd.org/arm64.html
> > ======
> > The Pine64 currently requires an image based on a non-redistributable
> > boot0 file from Allwinner to be installed on the system disk. This
> > will hopefully be resolved by a replacement in a future U-Boot
> > release. The install media does not include these boot images or a
> > Pine64 device tree. For similar reasons we do not provide install
> > media for the Firefly-RK3399 either.
> > ======
> >
> > So, it seems that it's impossible yet.
> >
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alex
> >
> > On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Christer Solskogen
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Andrew Gwozdziewycz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>> My understanding is that there is some support for the Pine64 platform,
> >>> though it requires access to the pins to get a serial console. I
> haven't
> >>> opened mine up yet, but I assume it's a Pine64, on a different
> footprint
> >>> PCB. Though... I have no idea about any other IO pins...
> >>>
> >>
> >> And that's why I offered to buy one to a OpenBSD developer :-)
>



--
Regards,

--
Rui Ribeiro
Senior Linux Architect and Network Administrator
ISCTE-IUL
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/rui-ribeiro/16/ab8/434
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pinebook (if anyones up for it)

valerij zaporogeci
In reply to this post by Alex Naumov
2017-08-14 10:21 GMT+03:00, Alex Naumov <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> there is one enthusiast, who wants to make it possible:
> http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Working-on-support-for-Pinebook-td318562.html
>
> I don't know the current state, but I also have a Pinebook and would
> like to run OpenBSD on it.
>
>
> Some info you can find there: https://www.openbsd.org/arm64.html
> ======
> The Pine64 currently requires an image based on a non-redistributable
> boot0 file from Allwinner to be installed on the system disk. This
> will hopefully be resolved by a replacement in a future U-Boot
> release. The install media does not include these boot images or a
> Pine64 device tree. For similar reasons we do not provide install
> media for the Firefly-RK3399 either.
> ======
>
> So, it seems that it's impossible yet.
>
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>

this boot0 thing is a part of the firmware. why its redistributability
state should influence an OS support? are x86 BIOS parts all
redistributable?

Is it obtainable? This is that "security world" thing and it will be
anywhere where the Security Extension is implemented. I have Pine64+
board and am planning to do my project on it, which is a UEFI
implementation. x^D Will be OpenBSD happy if there were UEFI on it as
a FW and that boot0 thing is a part of UEFI installation?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pinebook (if anyones up for it)

Patrick Wildt-3
On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 10:08:13PM +0300, valerij zaporogeci wrote:

> 2017-08-14 10:21 GMT+03:00, Alex Naumov <[hidden email]>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > there is one enthusiast, who wants to make it possible:
> > http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Working-on-support-for-Pinebook-td318562.html
> >
> > I don't know the current state, but I also have a Pinebook and would
> > like to run OpenBSD on it.
> >
> >
> > Some info you can find there: https://www.openbsd.org/arm64.html
> > ======
> > The Pine64 currently requires an image based on a non-redistributable
> > boot0 file from Allwinner to be installed on the system disk. This
> > will hopefully be resolved by a replacement in a future U-Boot
> > release. The install media does not include these boot images or a
> > Pine64 device tree. For similar reasons we do not provide install
> > media for the Firefly-RK3399 either.
> > ======

Correction: The problem of the boot0 file has been solved thanks to
changes in u-boot.  Work on install media for the Pine64 is now in
progress, without unredistributable blobs.

> >
> > So, it seems that it's impossible yet.
> >
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alex
> >
>
> this boot0 thing is a part of the firmware. why its redistributability
> state should influence an OS support? are x86 BIOS parts all
> redistributable?
>
> Is it obtainable? This is that "security world" thing and it will be
> anywhere where the Security Extension is implemented. I have Pine64+
> board and am planning to do my project on it, which is a UEFI
> implementation. x^D Will be OpenBSD happy if there were UEFI on it as
> a FW and that boot0 thing is a part of UEFI installation?
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pinebook (if anyones up for it)

Jonathan Gray-11
On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 09:48:14AM -0400, Patrick Wildt wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 10:08:13PM +0300, valerij zaporogeci wrote:
> > 2017-08-14 10:21 GMT+03:00, Alex Naumov <[hidden email]>:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > there is one enthusiast, who wants to make it possible:
> > > http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Working-on-support-for-Pinebook-td318562.html
> > >
> > > I don't know the current state, but I also have a Pinebook and would
> > > like to run OpenBSD on it.
> > >
> > >
> > > Some info you can find there: https://www.openbsd.org/arm64.html
> > > ======
> > > The Pine64 currently requires an image based on a non-redistributable
> > > boot0 file from Allwinner to be installed on the system disk. This
> > > will hopefully be resolved by a replacement in a future U-Boot
> > > release. The install media does not include these boot images or a
> > > Pine64 device tree. For similar reasons we do not provide install
> > > media for the Firefly-RK3399 either.
> > > ======
>
> Correction: The problem of the boot0 file has been solved thanks to
> changes in u-boot.  Work on install media for the Pine64 is now in
> progress, without unredistributable blobs.

pine64 firmware that doesn't require boot0 is included in
https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/arm64/miniroot61.fs

Looking for testers.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pinebook (if anyones up for it)

Jonathan Gray-11
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 12:17:20AM +1000, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 09:48:14AM -0400, Patrick Wildt wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 10:08:13PM +0300, valerij zaporogeci wrote:
> > > 2017-08-14 10:21 GMT+03:00, Alex Naumov <[hidden email]>:
> > > > Hello,
> > > >
> > > > there is one enthusiast, who wants to make it possible:
> > > > http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Working-on-support-for-Pinebook-td318562.html
> > > >
> > > > I don't know the current state, but I also have a Pinebook and would
> > > > like to run OpenBSD on it.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Some info you can find there: https://www.openbsd.org/arm64.html
> > > > ======
> > > > The Pine64 currently requires an image based on a non-redistributable
> > > > boot0 file from Allwinner to be installed on the system disk. This
> > > > will hopefully be resolved by a replacement in a future U-Boot
> > > > release. The install media does not include these boot images or a
> > > > Pine64 device tree. For similar reasons we do not provide install
> > > > media for the Firefly-RK3399 either.
> > > > ======
> >
> > Correction: The problem of the boot0 file has been solved thanks to
> > changes in u-boot.  Work on install media for the Pine64 is now in
> > progress, without unredistributable blobs.
>
> pine64 firmware that doesn't require boot0 is included in
> https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/arm64/miniroot61.fs
>
> Looking for testers.
>

Though the pinebook may require a different device tree
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9591501/

And will likely require 3.3v serial instead of video
http://linux-sunxi.org/Pine_Pinebook#Adding_a_serial_port