PgUp and PgDown on a Serial Console?

Evan Root-2
Hi list,
Does anybody know how to scroll back in a serial line console?
I have a serial line connected to my box and I'm on the ftp site
at the ftp client's command prompt wondering if anybody else
has solved the problem of 1) not having a pager 2) trying to look
at too many files that scroll off the screen and 3)using a VT100
or whatever with it's measly 80x24

Thanks
Evan Root, CCNA

Re: PgUp and PgDown on a Serial Console?

Christian Weisgerber
Evan Root <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anybody know how to scroll back in a serial line console?

That's a function of your local terminal.

> I have a serial line connected to my box and I'm on the ftp site
> at the ftp client's command prompt wondering if anybody else
> has solved the problem of 1) not having a pager 2) trying to look
> at too many files that scroll off the screen and

ftp> ls . |less

Re: PgUp and PgDown on a Serial Console?

Adam Jensen
On 12/15/2013 07:43 AM, Evan Root wrote:
> Hi list,
> Does anybody know how to scroll back in a serial line console?
> I have a serial line connected to my box and I'm on the ftp site
> at the ftp client's command prompt wondering if anybody else
> has solved the problem of 1) not having a pager 2) trying to look
> at too many files that scroll off the screen and 3)using a VT100
> or whatever with it's measly 80x24

Could you use tmux?

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#tmux

On 12/15/2013 09:14 PM, Adam Jensen wrote:

> On 12/15/2013 07:43 AM, Evan Root wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> Does anybody know how to scroll back in a serial line console?
>> I have a serial line connected to my box and I'm on the ftp site
>> at the ftp client's command prompt wondering if anybody else
>> has solved the problem of 1) not having a pager 2) trying to look
>> at too many files that scroll off the screen and 3)using a VT100
>> or whatever with it's measly 80x24
>>

> Could you use tmux?
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#tmux

If you want to try tmux, you might want a .tmux.conf file in your home
directory with a line that sets the scrollback buffer size. For example,
if you want 6000 lines of scrollback rather than the default 2000 lines,
put this line in your .tmux.conf file:

set-option -g history-limit 6000

After starting tmux and accessing the ftp sight, you can scroll with
Ctrl-b followed by Page-Up, Page-Down.

Re: PgUp and PgDown on a Serial Console?

Evan Root-2
Hi Ville and Christian,
Tmux is a very good idea, I hadn't thought of it before but I'm already
using screen as the serial console client, I could just use it again
"inside" openbsd.

Or as you suggest tmux, which I've heard good things about.

Evan Root, CCNA

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Evan Root <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know how to scroll back in a serial line console?
>
> That's a function of your local terminal.
>
> > I have a serial line connected to my box and I'm on the ftp site
> > at the ftp client's command prompt wondering if anybody else
> > has solved the problem of 1) not having a pager 2) trying to look
> > at too many files that scroll off the screen and
>
> ftp> ls . |less

> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [hidden email]

Re: PgUp and PgDown on a Serial Console?

Christian Weisgerber
Evan Root <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tmux is a very good idea, I hadn't thought of it before but I'm already
> using screen as the serial console client,

So why don't you use screen's scrollback buffer?

Re: PgUp and PgDown on a Serial Console?

Evan Root-2
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys, I am now happily using
screen's copy mode for scroll back on my Serial Console sessions.

Evan Root, CCNA