PayPal pool for developer M1 Mac mini for OpenBSD port

PayPal pool for developer M1 Mac mini for OpenBSD port

Ben Goren
Greetings, all!

Patrick Wildt has set up a PayPal pool to raise funds to purchase an M1 Mac mini so he can start porting OpenBSD to the platform. If you’d like to be able to run OpenBSD on an M1 system, now would be a great time to throw some pennies his way.

The donation link: https://paypal.me/pools/c/8uPSkfNJMp

Read below for an idea of what one might expect if we can get a machine into Patrick’s hands.

Cheers,

b&

Patrick wrote:

> Yes, kettenis@ and me are the two ones doing the major work on porting
> to new devices.  Not sure if kettenis@ is interested, but I can ask him.
> I definitely am, a Mac Mini as a dedicated machine to do stuff with and
> not care about what is installed would really help.
>
> Marcan has started a crowdfunding on Patreon.  He's a really capable
> person, and he'll definitely lay a lot of groundwork needed for porting
> OpenBSD to the platform.  He apparenetly will also do his work in a
> dual-licensed fashion, so the BSDs will easily profit from it.
>
> So, the first steps are basically to follow Marcan's work and use all
> that information and code to port OpenBSD as well.
>
> This *will* take some time, because essentially there are only the
> binary drivers, but it's doable and I think with a bit of patience
> we will have OpenBSD running on the M1 as well.
>
> Biggest hurdle, as always, will be support for graphics acceleration.

Re: PayPal pool for developer M1 Mac mini for OpenBSD port

Ben Goren
Oh, wow — it hasn’t even been a full day since I sent this out...and already enough of you have chipped in enough to buy not just a single M1 system for Patrick, but also a second one for his partner in crime, Mark Kettenis.

Thank you to all! This show of generosity and support and excitement is most welcome. (And, frankly, a bit overwhelming.)

If anybody reading this still wishes to donate to the cause, despite the immediate needs being met, the money will be put to good use. There are other developers who will eventually need their own hardware, and there are always other sorts of expenses related to development. Feel free to chip in at Patrick’s original link:

https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/8uPSkfNJMp

...or, of course, to the OpenBSD general fund (which can *ALWAYS* use donations):

https://www.openbsd.org/donations.html

Thanks again, everybody!

b&

> On Dec 2, 2020, at 2:59 PM, Ben Goren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings, all!
>
> Patrick Wildt has set up a PayPal pool to raise funds to purchase an M1 Mac mini so he can start porting OpenBSD to the platform. If you’d like to be able to run OpenBSD on an M1 system, now would be a great time to throw some pennies his way.
>
> The donation link: https://paypal.me/pools/c/8uPSkfNJMp
>
> Read below for an idea of what one might expect if we can get a machine into Patrick’s hands.
>
> Cheers,
>
> b&
>
> Patrick wrote:
>
>> Yes, kettenis@ and me are the two ones doing the major work on porting
>> to new devices.  Not sure if kettenis@ is interested, but I can ask him.
>> I definitely am, a Mac Mini as a dedicated machine to do stuff with and
>> not care about what is installed would really help.
>>
>> Marcan has started a crowdfunding on Patreon.  He's a really capable
>> person, and he'll definitely lay a lot of groundwork needed for porting
>> OpenBSD to the platform.  He apparenetly will also do his work in a
>> dual-licensed fashion, so the BSDs will easily profit from it.
>>
>> So, the first steps are basically to follow Marcan's work and use all
>> that information and code to port OpenBSD as well.
>>
>> This *will* take some time, because essentially there are only the
>> binary drivers, but it's doable and I think with a bit of patience
>> we will have OpenBSD running on the M1 as well.
>>
>> Biggest hurdle, as always, will be support for graphics acceleration.

Re: PayPal pool for developer M1 Mac mini for OpenBSD port

Patrick Wildt-3
This really has shown how much interest there is in having OpenBSD
running on those machines.  Still, we would all not be here without
the OpenBSD project itself.  Not being able to host hackathons due to
COVID-19 leaves an impact, and I hope that soon(TM) we'll be able to
get back together to shut up and hack.

I'm sure you all love using OpenBSD and hacking on OpenBSD as much as I
do, so to help OpenBSD run infrastructure, organize hackathons and to
flourish even more, please consider donating!

https://www.openbsdfoundation.org/donations.html
https://www.openbsd.org/donations.html

Also a shoutout to marcan, who'll be doing a lot of reverse engineering
on the M1.  He's pretty good, and I'm supporting his project by being a
patron.  I'm looking forward to his work, because of all the people out
there who can do it, he's definitely one of them.

https://www.patreon.com/marcan

Patrick

Am Thu, Dec 03, 2020 at 02:33:34PM -0700 schrieb Ben Goren:

> Oh, wow — it hasn’t even been a full day since I sent this out...and already enough of you have chipped in enough to buy not just a single M1 system for Patrick, but also a second one for his partner in crime, Mark Kettenis.
>
> Thank you to all! This show of generosity and support and excitement is most welcome. (And, frankly, a bit overwhelming.)
>
> If anybody reading this still wishes to donate to the cause, despite the immediate needs being met, the money will be put to good use. There are other developers who will eventually need their own hardware, and there are always other sorts of expenses related to development. Feel free to chip in at Patrick’s original link:
>
> https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/8uPSkfNJMp
>
> ...or, of course, to the OpenBSD general fund (which can *ALWAYS* use donations):
>
> https://www.openbsd.org/donations.html
>
> Thanks again, everybody!
>
> b&
>
> > On Dec 2, 2020, at 2:59 PM, Ben Goren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Greetings, all!
> >
> > Patrick Wildt has set up a PayPal pool to raise funds to purchase an M1 Mac mini so he can start porting OpenBSD to the platform. If you’d like to be able to run OpenBSD on an M1 system, now would be a great time to throw some pennies his way.
> >
> > The donation link: https://paypal.me/pools/c/8uPSkfNJMp
> >
> > Read below for an idea of what one might expect if we can get a machine into Patrick’s hands.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > b&
> >
> > Patrick wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, kettenis@ and me are the two ones doing the major work on porting
> >> to new devices.  Not sure if kettenis@ is interested, but I can ask him.
> >> I definitely am, a Mac Mini as a dedicated machine to do stuff with and
> >> not care about what is installed would really help.
> >>
> >> Marcan has started a crowdfunding on Patreon.  He's a really capable
> >> person, and he'll definitely lay a lot of groundwork needed for porting
> >> OpenBSD to the platform.  He apparenetly will also do his work in a
> >> dual-licensed fashion, so the BSDs will easily profit from it.
> >>
> >> So, the first steps are basically to follow Marcan's work and use all
> >> that information and code to port OpenBSD as well.
> >>
> >> This *will* take some time, because essentially there are only the
> >> binary drivers, but it's doable and I think with a bit of patience
> >> we will have OpenBSD running on the M1 as well.
> >>
> >> Biggest hurdle, as always, will be support for graphics acceleration.

Re: PayPal pool for developer M1 Mac mini for OpenBSD port

Tom Smyth
Thanks Patrik,  Marcan, and Theo...

Interesting project...  OpenBSD on the M1 :) ...  best of luck with it

Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth.

Re: PayPal pool for developer M1 Mac mini for OpenBSD port

sogebu_3411_363166709
Thanks everyone, this is very good news.

Some people are maybe upset by Apple's recent move, but I think OpenBSD devs should be the most enthusiast.

In a world of IT hell, "paradise" (simple, neat) software should welcome "paradise" hardware & infrastructure, this is why there was so much chipping in only a few days I think. "simple, neat" hardware & infrastructure doesn't mean "pull in more energy, make it hotter, more complex, and do everything".

"free software" is really a way to enrich "some companies" to provide them complex technology for free while labelling "non free" stuff as evil.

Someone has to do simple, neat hard&infra and it has always been Apple. Cooperating will certainly lead to good results because companies like Apple put goodness before everything else, otherwise they wouldn't do what they are doing now. (ditching Them)

Just throwing in random opinions for those who mistake free software and goodness, it's not as simple.

Apple Silicon a lot faster and neat for less power, this is the way to the future.

Of course you cannot disclose everything as soon as you release it because otherwise "they" would try to terminate it and nothing would ever be done.

Chippers are wiser than fear mongerers

Kawashima
(just a periodic donator)