Partitioning on MacBook Pro for triple booting

SFM

Partitioning on MacBook Pro for triple booting

SFM
Hi everyone !

Up to now I have failed to do what the header says and I would love to know the reason, probably I am missing an/some important step(s).

The hardware:

MacBook Pro mid 2012 with EFI, a single 480GB SSD and 16GB RAM.

The preps:

Installed latest MacOS X (I am using the new “Apple file system”),  encrypted the drive using FileVault, GPT partitioned the drive in three equal Partitions using disk utility.

The target:

Triple boot Mac OS X, OpenBSD and DragonFly BSD from the same drive (there are quite a few reasons for this, do not call me a masochist, at least not in public).

The problem: As I, of course, do not intend to use the whole disk for OpenBSD, I choose “E” at the prompt which asks so. As expected, fdisk is summoned. I then mark, according to the instructions, my second partition, where I want my OpenBSD installation to sit, as an active A06 partition and exit, saving my progress. I would expect the installer to summon disklabel, which does not happen. It complains that no OpenBSD active partition is present. I can do that over and over again and there is no way that I go beyond that point.

Am I missing something really stupid ? am I in a no-go zone because of the encrypted drive?  Is this a bug?
ANY comments and suggestions appreciated !

Thanks in advance !

Raymundo.-

Re: Partitioning on MacBook Pro for triple booting

Nick Holland
On 11/09/17 13:42, SFM wrote:
> The target:
>
> Triple boot Mac OS X, OpenBSD and DragonFly BSD from the same drive
> (there are quite a few reasons for this, do not call me a masochist,
> at least not in public).

no need, you already described your behavior. ;)

> The problem: As I, of course, do not intend to use the whole disk for
> OpenBSD, I choose “E” at the prompt which asks so. As expected,
> fdisk is summoned. I then mark, according to the instructions, my
> second partition, where I want my OpenBSD installation to sit, as an
> active A06 partition and exit, saving my progress. I would expect the
> installer to summon disklabel, which does not happen. It complains
> that no OpenBSD active partition is present. I can do that over and
> over again and there is no way that I go beyond that point.

did you really create an A06 partition?  If so (and I don't fdisk should
let you do that, but I've never tried) what you describe is what should
happen.

it's "a6", not "a06".

Nick.

SFM

Fwd: Partitioning on MacBook Pro for triple booting

SFM
Sorry, I meant “A6” of course!

بداية الرسالة المحولة: