PINEphone

Mihai Popescu-3

Re: PINEphone

ian@
On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 12:38:28AM +0200, Mihai Popescu wrote:
> https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinephone-braveheart-limited-edition-linux-smartphone-for-early-adaptor

Your message is a bit terse. I presume you are wondering whether
this device is close enough to the Pine64 Pine 64/64+ boards that
the distribution for those boards might boot as far as printing
the "OpenBSD 6.6" string and try some autoconfigure?

It probably won't put up an onscreen keyboard or let you make
phone calls, but if it gets that far, it's a start.

I don't know the answer. If you're anxious to find out,
for that price, why not just "buy and try"?

Re: PINEphone

Patrick Wildt-3
On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 12:38:28AM +0200, Mihai Popescu wrote:
> https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinephone-braveheart-limited-edition-linux-smartphone-for-early-adaptor

We probably support the PinePhone as well es the Librem5.  Which
means that we'll run on them, but we'll probably have no output on
the display, unless PinePhone's bootloader provides a framebuffer
for us.  And definitely no sound or touchscreen or so, all those
drivers still need to be written.

Re: PINEphone

Wayne Oliver

On 2019/12/11 12:46, Patrick Wildt wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 12:38:28AM +0200, Mihai Popescu wrote:
>> https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinephone-braveheart-limited-edition-linux-smartphone-for-early-adaptor
>
> We probably support the PinePhone as well es the Librem5.  Which
> means that we'll run on them, but we'll probably have no output on
> the display, unless PinePhone's bootloader provides a framebuffer
> for us.  And definitely no sound or touchscreen or so, all those
> drivers still need to be written.

FWIW I have bought one with the intention of running OpenBSD.

Re: PINEphone

ian@
On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 02:02:51PM +0200, Wayne Oliver wrote:

> On 2019/12/11 12:46, Patrick Wildt wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 12:38:28AM +0200, Mihai Popescu wrote:
> > > https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinephone-braveheart-limited-edition-linux-smartphone-for-early-adaptor
> >
> > We probably support the PinePhone as well es the Librem5.  Which
> > means that we'll run on them, but we'll probably have no output on
> > the display, unless PinePhone's bootloader provides a framebuffer
> > for us.  And definitely no sound or touchscreen or so, all those
> > drivers still need to be written.
>
> FWIW I have bought one with the intention of running OpenBSD.

I'm on the fence and may get one too, as t'would be great to have OpenBSD
running on your phone. Just remember that the road there is paved with
projects (e.g. MeeGo, OpenMoko) that died out against one brutal fact: making a
working, useful smartphone environment is bloody hard. You'd probably
want oFono for the telephony stack (it's what UBTouch uses), as well as
various kernel drivers that Patrick mentioned.

Re: PINEphone

Wayne Oliver
On 2019/12/11 15:23, Ian Darwin wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 02:02:51PM +0200, Wayne Oliver wrote:
>>>
>>> We probably support the PinePhone as well es the Librem5.  Which
>>> means that we'll run on them, but we'll probably have no output on
>>> the display, unless PinePhone's bootloader provides a framebuffer
>>> for us.  And definitely no sound or touchscreen or so, all those
>>> drivers still need to be written.
>>
>> FWIW I have bought one with the intention of running OpenBSD.
>
> I'm on the fence and may get one too, as t'would be great to have OpenBSD
> running on your phone. Just remember that the road there is paved with
> projects (e.g. MeeGo, OpenMoko) that died out against one brutal fact: making a
> working, useful smartphone environment is bloody hard. You'd probably
> want oFono for the telephony stack (it's what UBTouch uses), as well as
> various kernel drivers that Patrick mentioned.

Yeah 100%, I am not delusional, I expect it to be painful but at the
same time hopefully fun and educational. probably a little masochistic

It would definitely be good to have OpenBSD on the phone.

I'll post back one I receive it.