PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Johannes Krottmayer
Hello,

Currently the Gigabit network of the ROCK64 media board
doesn't work with OpenBSD 6.3.

Is there a chance in further releases to get this work?
It would be great!

Best reagrds
Johannes Krottmayer

Re: PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Mark Kettenis
> From: Johannes Krottmayer <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 23:23:21 +0200
>
> Hello,
>
> Currently the Gigabit network of the ROCK64 media board
> doesn't work with OpenBSD 6.3.
>
> Is there a chance in further releases to get this work?
> It would be great!

It works in -current.  There is also DMA support for eMMV and uSD card
in -current.

I flashed my board with the firmware provided by "ayufan" that can be
found at:

  https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases

The device tree embedded in that firmware doesn't provide the proper
speed for the serial console.  Therefore when you boot the board after
installing it the boot messages will not show up on the serial
console.  You can fix this by installing the dtb package and doing

  # mount /dev/sdXi /mnt
  # mkdir /mnt/rockchip
  # cp /usr/local/share/dtb/arm64/rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb /mnt/rockchip
  # umount /mnt

You should also check the /etc/ttys file and change the console entry
from std.115200 into std.1500000 if necessary.

I'll see if I can get that issue fixed.

Cheers.

Mark

Re: PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Johannes Krottmayer
Hello Mark,

Thanks for the fast reply and this information!
I will try this steps.

Best regards,
Johannes Krottmayer

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 00:20:30 +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:

>> From: Johannes Krottmayer <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 23:23:21 +0200
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Currently the Gigabit network of the ROCK64 media board
>> doesn't work with OpenBSD 6.3.
>>
>> Is there a chance in further releases to get this work?
>> It would be great!
>
> It works in -current.  There is also DMA support for eMMV and uSD card
> in -current.
>
> I flashed my board with the firmware provided by "ayufan" that can be
> found at:
>
>   https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases
>
> The device tree embedded in that firmware doesn't provide the proper
> speed for the serial console.  Therefore when you boot the board after
> installing it the boot messages will not show up on the serial
> console.  You can fix this by installing the dtb package and doing
>
>   # mount /dev/sdXi /mnt
>   # mkdir /mnt/rockchip
>   # cp /usr/local/share/dtb/arm64/rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb /mnt/rockchip
>   # umount /mnt
>
> You should also check the /etc/ttys file and change the console entry
> from std.115200 into std.1500000 if necessary.
>
> I'll see if I can get that issue fixed.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Mark

Re: PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Johannes Krottmayer
Hello Mark,

I have an additional question. Don't want start a new thread for
this.

Are the GPIO, the I2C and the SPI interface working?
An how can i use this. Is there a short example code available?

I'm new in this. I have experience in bare-metal programming
with AVR devices. Now I want use the ARM port of OpenBSD for my
further electronic projects.

Best reagards,
Johannes Krottmayer

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 00:28:30 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> Thanks for the fast reply and this information!
> I will try this steps.
>
> Best regards,
> Johannes Krottmayer
>
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 00:20:30 +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>>> From: Johannes Krottmayer <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 23:23:21 +0200
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Currently the Gigabit network of the ROCK64 media board
>>> doesn't work with OpenBSD 6.3.
>>>
>>> Is there a chance in further releases to get this work?
>>> It would be great!
>>
>> It works in -current.  There is also DMA support for eMMV and uSD card
>> in -current.
>>
>> I flashed my board with the firmware provided by "ayufan" that can be
>> found at:
>>
>>   https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases
>>
>> The device tree embedded in that firmware doesn't provide the proper
>> speed for the serial console.  Therefore when you boot the board after
>> installing it the boot messages will not show up on the serial
>> console.  You can fix this by installing the dtb package and doing
>>
>>   # mount /dev/sdXi /mnt
>>   # mkdir /mnt/rockchip
>>   # cp /usr/local/share/dtb/arm64/rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb /mnt/rockchip
>>   # umount /mnt
>>
>> You should also check the /etc/ttys file and change the console entry
>> from std.115200 into std.1500000 if necessary.
>>
>> I'll see if I can get that issue fixed.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Mark

Re: PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Johannes Krottmayer
Hello Mark,

I just installed OpenBSD sucessfully on the ROCK64 media board.
That's very cool. Thanks for your good statement.

Best reagards,
Johannes

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 00:52:51 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> I have an additional question. Don't want start a new thread for
> this.
>
> Are the GPIO, the I2C and the SPI interface working?
> An how can i use this. Is there a short example code available?
>
> I'm new in this. I have experience in bare-metal programming
> with AVR devices. Now I want use the ARM port of OpenBSD for my
> further electronic projects.
>
> Best reagards,
> Johannes Krottmayer
>
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 00:28:30 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:
>> Hello Mark,
>>
>> Thanks for the fast reply and this information!
>> I will try this steps.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Johannes Krottmayer

>>> It works in -current.  There is also DMA support for eMMV and uSD card
>>> in -current.
>>>
>>> I flashed my board with the firmware provided by "ayufan" that can be
>>> found at:
>>>
>>>   https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases
>>>
>>> The device tree embedded in that firmware doesn't provide the proper
>>> speed for the serial console.  Therefore when you boot the board after
>>> installing it the boot messages will not show up on the serial
>>> console.  You can fix this by installing the dtb package and doing
>>>
>>>   # mount /dev/sdXi /mnt
>>>   # mkdir /mnt/rockchip
>>>   # cp /usr/local/share/dtb/arm64/rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb /mnt/rockchip
>>>   # umount /mnt
>>>
>>> You should also check the /etc/ttys file and change the console entry
>>> from std.115200 into std.1500000 if necessary.
>>>
>>> I'll see if I can get that issue fixed.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Mark

Re: PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Johannes Krottmayer
Hello Mark!

I have found the necessary information to control the GPIO.
But what about the I2C and SPI interface?

I don't find usefull information about this. I want native
support for my projects. Don't want to make a software based
(bit-bang) I2C or SPI interface with the GPIO pins.

Best regards,
Johannes

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 03:42:11 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> I just installed OpenBSD sucessfully on the ROCK64 media board.
> That's very cool. Thanks for your good statement.
>
> Best reagards,
> Johannes
>
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 00:52:51 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:
>> Hello Mark,
>>
>> I have an additional question. Don't want start a new thread for
>> this.
>>
>> Are the GPIO, the I2C and the SPI interface working?
>> An how can i use this. Is there a short example code available?
>>
>> I'm new in this. I have experience in bare-metal programming
>> with AVR devices. Now I want use the ARM port of OpenBSD for my
>> further electronic projects.
>>
>> Best reagards,
>> Johannes Krottmayer
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 00:28:30 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:
>>> Hello Mark,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the fast reply and this information!
>>> I will try this steps.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Johannes Krottmayer

Re: PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Mark Kettenis
> From: Johannes Krottmayer <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 03:54:37 +0200
>
> Hello Mark!
>
> I have found the necessary information to control the GPIO.
> But what about the I2C and SPI interface?
>
> I don't find usefull information about this. I want native
> support for my projects. Don't want to make a software based
> (bit-bang) I2C or SPI interface with the GPIO pins.

There currently is no SPI support at all in OpenBSD.

I2C is available within the kernel.  For armv7 and arm64 the
recommended practice is to modify the device tree to include any
additional I2C devices you add to your board.  Ideally you'd be able
to use device tree overlays, but that is not implemented yet.  We
quite deliberately don't allow userland access to the I2C bus.

Currently the rkgpio(4) driver does not expose itself to userland
either, so the information in the gpio(4) and gpioctl(8) manual pages
doesn't applt..  That shouldn't be hard to implement though,
preferably in a similar way as in sxigpio(4) where only pins that
aren't claimed by other devices and left unconfigured by the firmware
are exposed.

Cheers,

Mark

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 03:42:11 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:
> > Hello Mark,
> >
> > I just installed OpenBSD sucessfully on the ROCK64 media board.
> > That's very cool. Thanks for your good statement.
> >
> > Best reagards,
> > Johannes
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 00:52:51 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:
> >> Hello Mark,
> >>
> >> I have an additional question. Don't want start a new thread for
> >> this.
> >>
> >> Are the GPIO, the I2C and the SPI interface working?
> >> An how can i use this. Is there a short example code available?
> >>
> >> I'm new in this. I have experience in bare-metal programming
> >> with AVR devices. Now I want use the ARM port of OpenBSD for my
> >> further electronic projects.
> >>
> >> Best reagards,
> >> Johannes Krottmayer

Re: PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Johannes Krottmayer
Hi Mark!

Thanks for the answer. That's very pity.

But i run in a other problem with the GPIO. I have written
the follwing small piece of code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <errno.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    int fd;

    printf("Open GPIO port\n");
    fd = open("/dev/gpio0", O_RDWR | O_NDELAY);

    if (fd == -1) {
        printf("Couldn't open GPIO port (%s)\n", strerror(errno));
        return 1;
    }

    printf("GPIO port successfully opened. Closing...\n");
    close(fd);

    return 0;
}

I always get the error message "device is not configured".
Also when i try the devices gpio1 and gpio2.
How can I fix this?

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 11:47:13 +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:

>> From: Johannes Krottmayer <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 03:54:37 +0200
>>
>> Hello Mark!
>>
>> I have found the necessary information to control the GPIO.
>> But what about the I2C and SPI interface?
>>
>> I don't find usefull information about this. I want native
>> support for my projects. Don't want to make a software based
>> (bit-bang) I2C or SPI interface with the GPIO pins.
>
> There currently is no SPI support at all in OpenBSD.
>
> I2C is available within the kernel.  For armv7 and arm64 the
> recommended practice is to modify the device tree to include any
> additional I2C devices you add to your board.  Ideally you'd be able
> to use device tree overlays, but that is not implemented yet.  We
> quite deliberately don't allow userland access to the I2C bus.
>
> Currently the rkgpio(4) driver does not expose itself to userland
> either, so the information in the gpio(4) and gpioctl(8) manual pages
> doesn't applt..  That shouldn't be hard to implement though,
> preferably in a similar way as in sxigpio(4) where only pins that
> aren't claimed by other devices and left unconfigured by the firmware
> are exposed.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark
>
>> On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 03:42:11 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:
>>> Hello Mark,
>>>
>>> I just installed OpenBSD sucessfully on the ROCK64 media board.
>>> That's very cool. Thanks for your good statement.
>>>
>>> Best reagards,
>>> Johannes

Re: PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Johannes Krottmayer
Oh... Sorry, i have over read your text where you have
explained the state of the rkgpio.

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 22:28:10 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:

> Hi Mark!
>
> Thanks for the answer. That's very pity.
>
> But i run in a other problem with the GPIO. I have written
> the follwing small piece of code:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <string.h>
> #include <unistd.h>
> #include <fcntl.h>
> #include <errno.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
>     int fd;
>
>     printf("Open GPIO port\n");
>     fd = open("/dev/gpio0", O_RDWR | O_NDELAY);
>
>     if (fd == -1) {
>         printf("Couldn't open GPIO port (%s)\n", strerror(errno));
>         return 1;
>     }
>
>     printf("GPIO port successfully opened. Closing...\n");
>     close(fd);
>
>     return 0;
> }
>
> I always get the error message "device is not configured".
> Also when i try the devices gpio1 and gpio2.
> How can I fix this?
>
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 11:47:13 +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>>> From: Johannes Krottmayer <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 03:54:37 +0200
>>>
>>> Hello Mark!
>>>
>>> I have found the necessary information to control the GPIO.
>>> But what about the I2C and SPI interface?
>>>
>>> I don't find usefull information about this. I want native
>>> support for my projects. Don't want to make a software based
>>> (bit-bang) I2C or SPI interface with the GPIO pins.
>>
>> There currently is no SPI support at all in OpenBSD.
>>
>> I2C is available within the kernel.  For armv7 and arm64 the
>> recommended practice is to modify the device tree to include any
>> additional I2C devices you add to your board.  Ideally you'd be able
>> to use device tree overlays, but that is not implemented yet.  We
>> quite deliberately don't allow userland access to the I2C bus.
>>
>> Currently the rkgpio(4) driver does not expose itself to userland
>> either, so the information in the gpio(4) and gpioctl(8) manual pages
>> doesn't applt..  That shouldn't be hard to implement though,
>> preferably in a similar way as in sxigpio(4) where only pins that
>> aren't claimed by other devices and left unconfigured by the firmware
>> are exposed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark

Re: PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Johannes Krottmayer
Hi Mark!

I have installed the dtb package. And copied the rk3328-rock64.dtb in
the FAT boot partition. Now I see all boot messages from the kernel.

But with this dtb file, the ethernet is unstable:

$ ping 10.42.42.1
PING 10.42.42.1 (10.42.42.1): 56 data bytes
^C
--- 10.42.42.1 ping statistics ---
40 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 95.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/std-dev = 0.708/0.780/0.853/0.072 ms
$

I removed the file and the ethernet works great again:

$ ping 10.42.42.1
PING 10.42.42.1 (10.42.42.1): 56 data bytes
^C
--- 10.42.42.1 ping statistics ---
11 packets transmitted, 11 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/std-dev = 0.766/0.886/1.499/0.208 ms
$

Seems to me that there is a bug.

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 22:35:24 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:

> Oh... Sorry, i have over read your text where you have
> explained the state of the rkgpio.
>
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 At 22:28:10 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:
>> Hi Mark!
>>
>> Thanks for the answer. That's very pity.
>>
>> But i run in a other problem with the GPIO. I have written
>> the follwing small piece of code:
>>
>> #include <stdio.h>
>> #include <string.h>
>> #include <unistd.h>
>> #include <fcntl.h>
>> #include <errno.h>
>>
>> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>> {
>>     int fd;
>>
>>     printf("Open GPIO port\n");
>>     fd = open("/dev/gpio0", O_RDWR | O_NDELAY);
>>
>>     if (fd == -1) {
>>         printf("Couldn't open GPIO port (%s)\n", strerror(errno));
>>         return 1;
>>     }
>>
>>     printf("GPIO port successfully opened. Closing...\n");
>>     close(fd);
>>
>>     return 0;
>> }
>>
>> I always get the error message "device is not configured".
>> Also when i try the devices gpio1 and gpio2.
>> How can I fix this?

>>> There currently is no SPI support at all in OpenBSD.
>>>
>>> I2C is available within the kernel.  For armv7 and arm64 the
>>> recommended practice is to modify the device tree to include any
>>> additional I2C devices you add to your board.  Ideally you'd be able
>>> to use device tree overlays, but that is not implemented yet.  We
>>> quite deliberately don't allow userland access to the I2C bus.
>>>
>>> Currently the rkgpio(4) driver does not expose itself to userland
>>> either, so the information in the gpio(4) and gpioctl(8) manual pages
>>> doesn't applt..  That shouldn't be hard to implement though,
>>> preferably in a similar way as in sxigpio(4) where only pins that
>>> aren't claimed by other devices and left unconfigured by the firmware
>>> are exposed.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Mark

Re: PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Johannes Krottmayer
Hi Mark!

I inform you that I try to write a spi driver for the rk3328. Called
it rkspi (rkspi.c). Currently I have implement a early version of the
match and attach functions and it works.

It is based on your rkiic driver.

_The match function_

int
rkspi_match(struct device *parent, void *match, void *aux)
{
        struct fdt_attach_args *faa = aux;

    return (OF_is_compatible(faa->fa_node, "rockchip,rk3328-spi"));
}

_The attach function_

void
rkspi_attach(struct device *parent, struct device *self, void *aux)
{
        struct rkspi_softc *sc = (struct rkspi_softc *) self;
        struct fdt_attach_args *faa = aux;

    if (faa->fa_nreg < 1) {
        printf(": no registers\n");
        return;
    }

    sc->sc_iot = faa->fa_iot;
    sc->sc_node = faa->fa_node;

    if (bus_space_map(sc->sc_iot, faa->fa_reg[0].addr,
            faa->fa_reg[0].size, 0, &sc->sc_ioh)) {
                printf(": can't map registers\n");
                return;
        }

        printf("rkspi_attach success\n");
}

And this piece of code works:
$ dmesg | grep rkspi
rkspi0 at mainbus0
rkspi_attach success
$

My next step is, to configure the spi bus and add a read and
write function.

What do you think about my intention?

Best reagrds
Johannes

On Sat, Jun 09, 2018 At 17:23:09 +0200, Johannes Krottmayer wrote:

> [...]

> PING 10.42.42.1 (10.42.42.1): 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from 10.42.42.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.499 ms
> 64 bytes from 10.42.42.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.827 ms
> 64 bytes from 10.42.42.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.786 ms
> 64 bytes from 10.42.42.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.770 ms
> 64 bytes from 10.42.42.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.979 ms
> 64 bytes from 10.42.42.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.783 ms
> 64 bytes from 10.42.42.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.977 ms
> 64 bytes from 10.42.42.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.785 ms
> 64 bytes from 10.42.42.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=0.803 ms
> 64 bytes from 10.42.42.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=0.766 ms
> 64 bytes from 10.42.42.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.768 ms
> ^C
> --- 10.42.42.1 ping statistics ---
> 11 packets transmitted, 11 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
> round-trip min/avg/max/std-dev = 0.766/0.886/1.499/0.208 ms

Works fine for me, but my board is connected to a 100Mbit/s switch.

I suspect this is related to the tx_delay settings in the device tree.
The firmware has:

        tx_delay: 00000018

whereas the linux device tree has:

       tx_delay: 00000024

You could try and change that number and see if things improve.

Cheers.

Mark

That's a very basic start in the right direction.

Re: PINE64 ROCK64 Board - Gigabit Network

Johannes Krottmayer
Sorry, have forgotten to add [hidden email] to CC.

On Sat, Jun 09, 2018 At 23:27:12 +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> That's a very basic start in the right direction.

Thanks!

I'm new in OpenBSD driver and ARM development. I have
experience with AVR microcontroller and now I want use
OpenBSD for my embedded projects.

But today it is enough with driver development, because I
can't get the datasheet of the RK3328. rock-chip.com
seems to be down.

Good night!

Best regards
Johannes