PCI Gigabit card suggestion?

Sunnz
Hi I have been looking at:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=gigabit&apropos=1&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+4.2&arch=amd64&format=html

However I am very puzzled... can someone please tell me which chipset
you found that worked the best for you and if possible, which model of
the brand you have brought after all? I am kind of scared of the bugs
and caveat sections in some of the drivers... are they a show stopper
at all?

But yea I'll need to buy a new PCI Gigabit Ethernet anyway so why not
go for the best supported one?

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Re: PCI Gigabit card suggestion?

Sunnz
Just to clarify, I am gotta to buy a new Gigabit PCI Card, so I was
wondering which brand/model are best supported by OpenBSD... in terms
of documentaion by the vendor and performance by the device.

Thanks.

Re: PCI Gigabit card suggestion?

Jordi Espasa Clofent-3
sk(4), em(4) and even bge(4) are considered good.

Jordi Espasa Clofent

Re: PCI Gigabit card suggestion?

Nico Meijer
Hi Sunnz,

> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=gigabit&apropos=1&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+4.2&arch=amd64&format=html

I have been looking at:
http://www.openbsd.org/amd64.html#hardware

> But yea I'll need to buy a new PCI Gigabit Ethernet anyway so why not
> go for the best supported one?

There are references in the archives. It depends on your budget and your
task.

People seem to like em and sk. For desktops, I might get a bunch of re's.

HTH... Nico

Re: PCI Gigabit card suggestion?

bofh-6
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Jordi Espasa Clofent
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> sk(4), em(4) and even bge(4) are considered good.

There's even a $30 to $40 intel card (e1000g?) at newegg

--
http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk
learn french: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1G-3laJJP0&feature=related

Re: PCI Gigabit card suggestion?

michael enoma aghayere
On 22/02/2008, Sunnz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just to clarify, I am gotta to buy a new Gigabit PCI Card, so I was
>  wondering which brand/model are best supported by OpenBSD... in terms
>  of documentaion by the vendor and performance by the device.
>
>  Thanks.

For something cheap and cheerful, but also supported, i'd go for a
D-Link DGE-528T. Was looking them up on the web yesterday.

--
~michael
www.BSDqed.com

Re: PCI Gigabit card suggestion?

scott-209
The em's have the advantage that the driver enables and uses hard-level
tcp/udp check-sum offloading.  This does help on mid- to heavy loading.

/S
On 22/02/2008, Sunnz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just to clarify, I am gotta to buy a new Gigabit PCI Card, so I was
>  wondering which brand/model are best supported by OpenBSD... in terms
>  of documentaion by the vendor and performance by the device.
>
>  Thanks.

For something cheap and cheerful, but also supported, i'd go for a
D-Link DGE-528T. Was looking them up on the web yesterday.

Re: PCI Gigabit card suggestion?

Sunnz
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be getting a DLink DGE-530T
sk(4) tomorrow, will be how it goes!

Re: PCI Gigabit card suggestion?

Martin Toft-2
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:48:27AM +1100, Sunnz wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be getting a DLink DGE-530T
> sk(4) tomorrow, will be how it goes!

FWIW, I'm very satisfied with my two DGE-530Ts on OpenBSD (as reported
at least once on this list earlier):

  skc1 at pci2 dev 9 function 0 "D-Link Systems DGE-530T B1" rev 0x11, Yukon Lite (0x9): irq 4
  sk1 at skc1 port A: address 00:17:9a:7b:c2:e8
  skc2 at pci2 dev 10 function 0 "D-Link Systems DGE-530T B1" rev 0x11, Yukon Lite (0x9): irq 7
  sk2 at skc2 port A: address 00:17:9a:7b:c5:70

They are placed in my dormitory's gateway and have transmitted approx
155 TB since April 1, 2007 :-)  (the day we started creating graphs with
RRDtool etc.)

Martin