Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Anders J
Hello List.
A customer have a mailserver solution wich must be moved to a new
hardware, today its is running on a old suse 9.2 but i really want to
use OpenBSD if possible.
It uses postfix, cyrus-imap and mysql as the backend for users domain
info, contacts etc. (only 58 named users and 3 domains and several aliases)
My self have experienced mixed issues with MysSQL on OpenBSD and also
read and heard about performance and stability problems with MySQL on
OpenBSD.
So i'm a bit nervous implementing this on OpenBSD (Should i use FreeBSD
instead)?.
Has anyone a positive experience with  3.9+ MySQl
mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz
<ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/OpenBSD/3.9/packages/i386/mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz>(or
later)?

And by the way it is not an option to use postgresql since they also
have several other apps which use the database in question .So migrate
to an other db platform is NOT an option.

Regards
Anders

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Jesse Gumm
It's good, but if it's a multiprocessor machine, OpenBSD won't take
full advantage of the other processors with MySQL since MySQL is
multi-threaded.  But it's stable, and runs reasonably fast (and you
are assured the system is more secure, being OpenBSD and all).

My only concern, then, is really if it's a multiprocessor machine, and
you need breakneck performance, you might want to consider running
MySQL on FreeBSD with linuxthreads.

-Jesse

On 6/20/06, Anders J <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello List.
> A customer have a mailserver solution wich must be moved to a new
> hardware, today its is running on a old suse 9.2 but i really want to
> use OpenBSD if possible.
> It uses postfix, cyrus-imap and mysql as the backend for users domain
> info, contacts etc. (only 58 named users and 3 domains and several aliases)
> My self have experienced mixed issues with MysSQL on OpenBSD and also
> read and heard about performance and stability problems with MySQL on
> OpenBSD.
> So i'm a bit nervous implementing this on OpenBSD (Should i use FreeBSD
> instead)?.
> Has anyone a positive experience with  3.9+ MySQl
> mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz
> <ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/OpenBSD/3.9/packages/i386/mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz>(or
> later)?
>
> And by the way it is not an option to use postgresql since they also
> have several other apps which use the database in question .So migrate
> to an other db platform is NOT an option.
>
> Regards
> Anders

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Daniel Ouellet
In reply to this post by Anders J
Anders J wrote:
> My self have experienced mixed issues with MysSQL on OpenBSD and also
> read and heard about performance and stability problems with MySQL on
> OpenBSD.

I use it for years (7+) without issues. The only one I recall was with
3.23.46, yeap, really old, where the database restart itself running out
of resources then, but that's really old stuff. I mean really old and
that was on OpenBSD 3.0 then. The only issue always been configurations
issues, like limits on tables, login.conf stuff, and the like.

> So i'm a bit nervous implementing this on OpenBSD (Should i use FreeBSD
> instead)?.

Use what you are comfortable with, but OpenBSD sure can do the job just
fine.

> Has anyone a positive experience with  3.9+ MySQl
> mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz
> <ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/OpenBSD/3.9/packages/i386/mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz>(or
> later)?

As stated above. No problem here and with plenty of mirror as well. Just
upgraded to 5.0.22 a few days ago (see below for some stats) in less
then a minute using pkg_add -u as well and restart MySQL. Really easy to
manage I tell you. I even have PF running on that box as well obviously
to protect it and the box is really efficient in resources I tell you.

Nothing wrong with it, use it as you see fit.

# uptime
  3:53PM  up 9 days, 10:34, 1 user, load averages: 0.21, 0.15, 0.14

# ps -auxw | grep mysql
_mysql    1794  4.2 17.6 441240 367056 ??  S     11Jun06  539:55.12
/usr/local/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local --datadir=/var/mysql
--user=_mysql --pid-file=/var/mysql/---.com.pid -

mysql> status;
--------------
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.22, for unknown-openbsd3.9 (i386) using
readline 4.3

Connection id:          879766
Current database:
Current user:           root@localhost
SSL:                    Not in use
Current pager:          stdout
Using outfile:          ''
Using delimiter:        ;
Server version:         5.0.22-log
Protocol version:       10
Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
Server characterset:    latin1
Db     characterset:    latin1
Client characterset:    latin1
Conn.  characterset:    latin1
UNIX socket:            /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 9 days 10 hours 34 min 58 sec

Threads: 6  Questions: 4092255  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 0  Flush tables:
1  Open tables: 540  Queries per second avg: 5.021
--------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Trombley
In reply to this post by Anders J
On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:56:36PM +0200, Anders J wrote:

> Hello List.
> A customer have a mailserver solution wich must be moved to a new
> hardware, today its is running on a old suse 9.2 but i really want to
> use OpenBSD if possible.
> It uses postfix, cyrus-imap and mysql as the backend for users domain
> info, contacts etc. (only 58 named users and 3 domains and several aliases)
> My self have experienced mixed issues with MysSQL on OpenBSD and also
> read and heard about performance and stability problems with MySQL on
> OpenBSD.
> So i'm a bit nervous implementing this on OpenBSD (Should i use FreeBSD
> instead)?.
> Has anyone a positive experience with  3.9+ MySQl
> mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz
> <ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/OpenBSD/3.9/packages/i386/mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz>(or
> later)?

I've run postfix on OpenBSD using MySQL as the database for several
years with +400 domains and +4k users; handling about 300K messages
per day. Never gives me any problems.

I had to bump the kern.maxproc and kern.maxfiles sysctl (man 8 sysctl)
and add the following to /etc/my.cnf
[mysqld_safe]
open-files=2000

You may also want to alter the appropriate parts of /etc/login.conf
(maxproc + openfiles) (man 5 login.conf)

Hope it serves you as well as it has me.

> And by the way it is not an option to use postgresql since they also
> have several other apps which use the database in question .So migrate
> to an other db platform is NOT an option.
>
> Regards
> Anders

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Bryan Irvine
In reply to this post by Anders J
Works ok for me.  Hasn't crashed or anything like that.  I use mysql 5 on
OpenBSD that some web apps talk too.  I just did an import of a previous
dump, and it took somewhere in the neighboorhood of 7 hours give or take.
(for a few tens of million INSERTS that's not bad).

This is run on a slighlty older sun 220r (450Mhz), and 10K rpm disks.

--Bryan


On 6/20/06, Anders J <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hello List.
> A customer have a mailserver solution wich must be moved to a new
> hardware, today its is running on a old suse 9.2 but i really want to
> use OpenBSD if possible.
> It uses postfix, cyrus-imap and mysql as the backend for users domain
> info, contacts etc. (only 58 named users and 3 domains and several
> aliases)
> My self have experienced mixed issues with MysSQL on OpenBSD and also
> read and heard about performance and stability problems with MySQL on
> OpenBSD.
> So i'm a bit nervous implementing this on OpenBSD (Should i use FreeBSD
> instead)?.
> Has anyone a positive experience with  3.9+ MySQl
> mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz
> <ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/OpenBSD/3.9/packages/i386/mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz
> >(or
> later)?
>
> And by the way it is not an option to use postgresql since they also
> have several other apps which use the database in question .So migrate
> to an other db platform is NOT an option.
>
> Regards
> Anders

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Daniel Ouellet
Bryan Irvine wrote:
> Works ok for me.  Hasn't crashed or anything like that.  I use mysql 5 on
> OpenBSD that some web apps talk too.  I just did an import of a previous
> dump, and it took somewhere in the neighboorhood of 7 hours give or take.
> (for a few tens of million INSERTS that's not bad).
>
> This is run on a slighlty older sun 220r (450Mhz), and 10K rpm disks.

Interesting. It takes me ~25 minutes for 9.5 millions records in many
databases/tables. But my dump is/was done with --opt as to not create
the index when you do the import, but only when all data is imported.
This saves many hours if not use. Are you sure you do your dump with the
--opt flag? If I don't do this, it sure will take me about 8 1/2 hours
to do the same.

Just a side note that might help, or it may not, but just thought to
pass it along in case it help you.

Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Frank Bax
At 04:54 PM 6/20/06, Daniel Ouellet wrote:

>Bryan Irvine wrote:
>>Works ok for me.  Hasn't crashed or anything like that.  I use mysql 5 on
>>OpenBSD that some web apps talk too.  I just did an import of a previous
>>dump, and it took somewhere in the neighboorhood of 7 hours give or take.
>>(for a few tens of million INSERTS that's not bad).
>>This is run on a slighlty older sun 220r (450Mhz), and 10K rpm disks.
>
>Interesting. It takes me ~25 minutes for 9.5 millions records in many
>databases/tables. But my dump is/was done with --opt as to not create the
>index when you do the import, but only when all data is imported. This
>saves many hours if not use. Are you sure you do your dump with the --opt
>flag? If I don't do this, it sure will take me about 8 1/2 hours to do the
>same.
>
>Just a side note that might help, or it may not, but just thought to pass
>it along in case it help you.



Actually, the option is really --disable-keys.  The --opt option is just a
shorthand for several options (including --disable-keys).

WARNING:  the man page for mysqldump says that defaults have changed in V5.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Daniel Ouellet
Frank Bax wrote:
> Actually, the option is really --disable-keys.  The --opt option is just
> a shorthand for several options (including --disable-keys).


There is more as well and refer to the man page for all the details:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysqldump.html

The --opt

Doesn't only do the disable keys but the following as well:

Quote" This option is shorthand; it is the same as specifying
--add-drop-table --add-locks --create-options --disable-keys
--extended-insert --lock-tables --quick --set-charset. It should give
you a fast dump operation and produce a dump file that can be reloaded
into a MySQL server quickly."

One very nice and quicker import is also the extended-insert, use
compress if you do between two servers as well. The dump with lock will
also speed up your dump and locking the table when you insert if you
database is live is also a good thing, etc.

Obviously you use it as you see fit and the options you want, but if you
do want to get the maximum efficiency, you the --opt, not only the
--disable-keys. I offer it as a suggestions, but if you want to help the
users that will do this, let them use the proper feature to do this and
also let them read the mysqldump man page to see what else the may see fit.

The observation was on speed of import and using the --opt instead of
just the --disable-keys will be more efficient, specially if you do have
a lots of entry. Even more you can even speed this more by increasing
the max_allowed_packet in mysql_dump as well as in the mysqld sections,
or your extended-insert will stop in the import mode if your dump is
much bigger then your mysqld setup and you do have many records in tables.

Anyway, there is more then this, but that's not the list do talk about
all of it.

In any case, it would be nice if you do not provide wrong information to
correct proper one. Just my $0.02 worth.

The "the option is really --disable-keys." will not give you the full
benefit, but that's left for the reader.

Your suggestion will only add problem and delay in import on a live
system that may already have data on it and got corrupted data in one
database or table that you need to restore quickly, or worst multiple
table if the mysqlcheck can't fix it.

I don't know about you, but if I restore database from dump, I hell sure
want to start with empty tables and database first.

So, the --opt will also add as well "--add-drop-table --add-locks
--create-options" in your dump making your restore even more painless
and quicker as well.

But again, do it as you see fit. You do not have to do it the way I
suggest by any mean, but don't cut it short for some users that may not
have tested their restore scenario and think what they may do is good
for them and when they will need it, that time, they will be stuck.

Best,

Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Henning Brauer
In reply to this post by Anders J
* Anders J <[hidden email]> [2006-06-20 21:06]:

> Hello List.
> A customer have a mailserver solution wich must be moved to a new
> hardware, today its is running on a old suse 9.2 but i really want to
> use OpenBSD if possible.
> It uses postfix, cyrus-imap and mysql as the backend for users domain
> info, contacts etc. (only 58 named users and 3 domains and several aliases)
> My self have experienced mixed issues with MysSQL on OpenBSD and also
> read and heard about performance and stability problems with MySQL on
> OpenBSD.
> So i'm a bit nervous implementing this on OpenBSD (Should i use FreeBSD
> instead)?.
> Has anyone a positive experience with  3.9+ MySQl
> mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz
> <ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/OpenBSD/3.9/packages/i386/mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz>(or
> later)?

let's put some things straight.
I haven't seen stability problems with mysql on OpenBSD in a long time.
not even on sparc64.
Unless you're really pushing the limits, performance is not much of a
problem either. with really extreme load, our threading library
shows why we wanna go for rthreads. for the vast majority of uses out
there, you will not see a difference.

--
BS Web Services, http://www.bsws.de/
OpenBSD-based Webhosting, Mail Services, Managed Servers, ...
Unix is very simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity.
(Dennis Ritchie)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Julian Bolivar
Hi Brauer and Anders

What is the diference between the actual threading library and rtheads?

I use MySQL 5.0.18 and OpenBSD 3.9 for AMD64 and work fine,  and I used
a lot of insert / hour in it, using Innodb tables.

Thanks and Regards,

Julian Bolivar


Henning Brauer wrote:

> * Anders J <[hidden email]> [2006-06-20 21:06]:
>  
>> Hello List.
>> A customer have a mailserver solution wich must be moved to a new
>> hardware, today its is running on a old suse 9.2 but i really want to
>> use OpenBSD if possible.
>> It uses postfix, cyrus-imap and mysql as the backend for users domain
>> info, contacts etc. (only 58 named users and 3 domains and several aliases)
>> My self have experienced mixed issues with MysSQL on OpenBSD and also
>> read and heard about performance and stability problems with MySQL on
>> OpenBSD.
>> So i'm a bit nervous implementing this on OpenBSD (Should i use FreeBSD
>> instead)?.
>> Has anyone a positive experience with  3.9+ MySQl
>> mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz
>> <ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/OpenBSD/3.9/packages/i386/mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz>(or
>> later)?
>>    
>
> let's put some things straight.
> I haven't seen stability problems with mysql on OpenBSD in a long time.
> not even on sparc64.
> Unless you're really pushing the limits, performance is not much of a
> problem either. with really extreme load, our threading library
> shows why we wanna go for rthreads. for the vast majority of uses out
> there, you will not see a difference.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Nick Guenther
On 6/22/06, Julian Bolivar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Henning Brauer wrote:
> > * Anders J <[hidden email]> [2006-06-20 21:06]:
> >
> >> Hello List.
> >> A customer have a mailserver solution wich must be moved to a new
> >> hardware, today its is running on a old suse 9.2 but i really want to
> >> use OpenBSD if possible.
> >> It uses postfix, cyrus-imap and mysql as the backend for users domain
> >> info, contacts etc. (only 58 named users and 3 domains and several aliases)
> >> My self have experienced mixed issues with MysSQL on OpenBSD and also
> >> read and heard about performance and stability problems with MySQL on
> >> OpenBSD.
> >> So i'm a bit nervous implementing this on OpenBSD (Should i use FreeBSD
> >> instead)?.
> >> Has anyone a positive experience with  3.9+ MySQl
> >> mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz
> >> <ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/OpenBSD/3.9/packages/i386/mysql-server-5.0.21.tgz>(or
> >> later)?
> >>
> >
> > let's put some things straight.
> > I haven't seen stability problems with mysql on OpenBSD in a long time.
> > not even on sparc64.
> > Unless you're really pushing the limits, performance is not much of a
> > problem either. with really extreme load, our threading library
> > shows why we wanna go for rthreads. for the vast majority of uses out
> > there, you will not see a difference.
>
> Hi Brauer and Anders
>
> What is the diference between the actual threading library and rtheads?
>
> I use MySQL 5.0.18 and OpenBSD 3.9 for AMD64 and work fine,  and I used
> a lot of insert / hour in it, using Innodb tables.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Julian Bolivar
>
>

rthreads is new. It makes things better. See
http://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurobsd2005/tedu-rthreads.pdf

-Nick

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Marian Hettwer
In reply to this post by Julian Bolivar
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi Julian,

Julian Bolivar wrote:
>
> I use MySQL 5.0.18 and OpenBSD 3.9 for AMD64 and work fine,  and I used
> a lot of insert / hour in it, using Innodb tables.
>
What means "a lot" ? Can you provide a mysqladmin status, or a show
status from mysql?
A dmesg would be great too :)

regards,
Marian
iD8DBQFEm6fMgAq87Uq5FMsRAufCAJ0TvCRzyLNEuucFYX13ne7u3YwBrwCdHEiz
RuWQpdhE52Ftv6f0yo7+VBE=
=CcOr
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Julian Bolivar
Hi, I can't gift you exact numbers, but "a lot" are between 500,000 and
1,000,000 inserts by hour. Every hour I process a huge (~5GB ) text file
and extract some records from it and are storage in MySQL DB.   I can  
show you more information later.

Thanks and Regards.

Julian

Marian Hettwer wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Hi Julian,
>
> Julian Bolivar wrote:
>  
>> I use MySQL 5.0.18 and OpenBSD 3.9 for AMD64 and work fine,  and I used
>> a lot of insert / hour in it, using Innodb tables.
>>
>>    
> What means "a lot" ? Can you provide a mysqladmin status, or a show
> status from mysql?
> A dmesg would be great too :)
>
> regards,
> Marian
> iD8DBQFEm6fMgAq87Uq5FMsRAufCAJ0TvCRzyLNEuucFYX13ne7u3YwBrwCdHEiz
> RuWQpdhE52Ftv6f0yo7+VBE=
> =CcOr
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Daniel Ouellet
In reply to this post by Marian Hettwer
Marian Hettwer wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Hi Julian,
>
> Julian Bolivar wrote:
>> I use MySQL 5.0.18 and OpenBSD 3.9 for AMD64 and work fine,  and I used
>> a lot of insert / hour in it, using Innodb tables.
>>
> What means "a lot" ? Can you provide a mysqladmin status, or a show
> status from mysql?
> A dmesg would be great too :)
>
> regards,
> Marian


Compare it to the same status sent two days ago. That's the less busy
one and really don't even break to sweet at all. But it does run plenty
of stuff.

Hope this help you, but like it was said here before. There isn't any
problem what so ever with running MySQL on OpenBSD and it is very stable
as well!

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=115083417702165&w=2

mysql> status;
--------------
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.22, for unknown-openbsd3.9 (i386) using
readline 4.3

Connection id:          1174817
Current database:
Current user:           root@localhost
SSL:                    Not in use
Current pager:          stdout
Using outfile:          ''
Using delimiter:        ;
Server version:         5.0.22-log
Protocol version:       10
Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
Server characterset:    latin1
Db     characterset:    latin1
Client characterset:    latin1
Conn.  characterset:    latin1
UNIX socket:            /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 12 days 8 hours 22 min 53 sec

Threads: 4  Questions: 5459805  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 0  Flush tables:
44  Open tables: 455  Queries per second avg: 5.117
--------------



# dmesg
OpenBSD 3.9 (GENERIC) #617: Thu Mar  2 02:26:48 MST 2006
     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
cpu0: Intel Pentium III ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 844 MHz
cpu0:
FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,SER,MMX,FXSR,SSE
real mem  = 2138677248 (2088552K)
avail mem = 1945370624 (1899776K)
using 4278 buffers containing 107036672 bytes (104528K) of memory
mainbus0 (root)
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+(00) BIOS, date 07/15/95, BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xfdb70
pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 @ 0xf0000/0x10000
pcibios0: PCI BIOS has 8 Interrupt Routing table entries
pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:07:0 ("Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA"
rev 0x00)
pcibios0: PCI bus #2 is the last bus
bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0x9600
cpu0 at mainbus0
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (no bios)
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82440BX AGP" rev 0x00
ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "Intel 82440BX AGP" rev 0x00
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "Chips and Technologies 69000" rev 0x64
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
pcib0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0 "Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA" rev 0x02
pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1 "Intel 82371AB IDE" rev 0x01: DMA,
channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30>
wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 28629MB, 58633344 sectors
wd1 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 1: <QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30>
wd1: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 28629MB, 58633344 sectors
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
wd1(pciide0:0:1): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
atapiscsi0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 1
scsibus0 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <TEAC, CD-224E, 1.5A> SCSI0 5/cdrom removable
cd0(pciide0:1:1): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
uhci0 at pci0 dev 7 function 2 "Intel 82371AB USB" rev 0x01pci_intr_map:
no mapping for pin D
: couldn't map interrupt
piixpm0 at pci0 dev 7 function 3 "Intel 82371AB Power" rev 0x02: polling
iic0 at piixpm0
admtemp0 at iic0 addr 0x18: max1617
admtemp1 at iic0 addr 0x1a: max1617
admtemp2 at iic0 addr 0x4c: max1617
admtemp3 at iic0 addr 0x4e: max1617
fxp0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0 "Intel 8255x" rev 0x08, i82559: irq 11,
address 00:d0:a8:00:39:e3
inphy0 at fxp0 phy 1: i82555 10/100 PHY, rev. 4
fxp1 at pci0 dev 18 function 0 "Intel 8255x" rev 0x08, i82559: irq 10,
address 00:d0:a8:00:39:e4
inphy1 at fxp1 phy 1: i82555 10/100 PHY, rev. 4
ppb1 at pci0 dev 20 function 0 "DEC 21152 PCI-PCI" rev 0x03
pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
isa0 at pcib0
isadma0 at isa0
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
midi0 at pcppi0: <PC speaker>
spkr0 at pcppi0
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16
biomask f3fd netmask fffd ttymask ffff
pctr: 686-class user-level performance counters enabled
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support
dkcsum: wd0 matches BIOS drive 0x80
dkcsum: wd1 matches BIOS drive 0x81
root on wd0a
rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0x300 rawdev=0x302

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

rtheads

Julian Bolivar
In reply to this post by Julian Bolivar
Hi, I was reading the paper about rtheads, and it look very good, but
anyone know the schedule to implement it on OpenBSD? because I didn't
find any information about that.

Thanks and Regards,

Julian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rtheads

Jesse Gumm
Apparently you can enable it by compiling your own kernel in 3.9, but
it's not terribly stable.

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2006-02/1155.html

-Jesse

On 6/23/06, Julian Bolivar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, I was reading the paper about rtheads, and it look very good, but
> anyone know the schedule to implement it on OpenBSD? because I didn't
> find any information about that.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Julian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Marian Hettwer
In reply to this post by Daniel Ouellet
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1



Daniel Ouellet wrote:

> mysql> status;
> --------------
> 44  Open tables: 455  Queries per second avg: 5.117
> --------------
>
>
>
> # dmesg
> OpenBSD 3.9 (GENERIC) #617: Thu Mar  2 02:26:48 MST 2006
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
> cpu0: Intel Pentium III ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 844 MHz
> real mem  = 2138677248 (2088552K)
> avail mem = 1945370624 (1899776K)

5 queries per second ain't that much. At work we use to have 40
queries/second on a dual xeon 3,2 box running Debian Linux (2.4.31).
However, I guess I can't compare that at all. Would be like comparing
apples to oranges.
It all winds down to your database  design...

But nice to see statistics at all.
I'd prefer to run OpenBSD or FreeBSD on our database servers anyway, but
if you're searching the FreeBSD mail archives, Linux is still ahead in
regards to speed with MySQL...

To cut that short: I'd use Linux for MySQL if it is all about speed and
not security. If performance ain't the first goal, go with OpenBSD (or
FreeBSD) :)

unluckily, I don't have a choice at work and it'll be Linux :-(

./Marian
iD8DBQFEnfcPgAq87Uq5FMsRAuR4AJ0VnyuA2TMJedcOGgpkAkCT8eZHsgCg7ZLA
OIl4NptdC2sOzKCLDbY0GFo=
=RtEN
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Timo Schoeler-2
thus Marian Hettwer spake:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
>
>
> Daniel Ouellet wrote:
>
>> mysql> status;
>> --------------
>> 44  Open tables: 455  Queries per second avg: 5.117
>> --------------
>>
>>
>>
>> # dmesg
>> OpenBSD 3.9 (GENERIC) #617: Thu Mar  2 02:26:48 MST 2006
>>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
>> cpu0: Intel Pentium III ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 844 MHz
>> real mem  = 2138677248 (2088552K)
>> avail mem = 1945370624 (1899776K)
>
> 5 queries per second ain't that much. At work we use to have 40
> queries/second on a dual xeon 3,2 box running Debian Linux (2.4.31).
> However, I guess I can't compare that at all. Would be like comparing
> apples to oranges.
> It all winds down to your database  design...
>
> But nice to see statistics at all.
> I'd prefer to run OpenBSD or FreeBSD on our database servers anyway, but
> if you're searching the FreeBSD mail archives, Linux is still ahead in
> regards to speed with MySQL...
>
> To cut that short: I'd use Linux for MySQL if it is all about speed and
> not security. If performance ain't the first goal, go with OpenBSD (or
> FreeBSD) :)
>
> unluckily, I don't have a choice at work and it'll be Linux :-(
>
> ./Marian

wrt to your Linux vs. OpenBSD/FreeBSD stanza... i have a bunch of
machines running NetBSD. i had to move a customer to another machine
because the contract was at an end and the guy they moved to has
absolutely no knowledge of computing. they also run a huge MySQL
database and i took the chance and did a bit benchmarking.

the results were surprising to me: NetBSD was a bit faster overall (than
GNU/Linux, Fedora Core 5) on the same hardware! surprising because IMHO
scheduling on FreeBSD is better, especially on MP machines (IIRC, NetBSD
handles all IRQs on CPU0, but i am not sure). so it may be that FreeBSD
is even faster. maybe worth a try...

--
Timo Schoeler | http://riscworks.net/~tis | [hidden email]
RISCworks -- Perfection is a powerful message
ISP | POWER & PowerPC afficinados | Networking, Security, BSD services
GPG Key fingerprint = B5F6 68A4 EC45 C309 6770  38C4 50E8 2740 9E0C F20A

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Anders J
In reply to this post by Trombley
Could i ask how your login class (/etc/login.conf) for mysql looks like?
And maybe your [mysqld_safe] entry in/etc/my.cnf?
I already modified my kern.maxfiles in /etc/sysctl.conf to
kern.maxfiles=10000 and in my own /etc/login.conf class i have set the
follwing values:
mysql:\
:datasize=infinity:\
:maxproc=infinity:\
:openfiles-cur=2048:\
:openfiles-max=8192:\


TIA
Anders

Trombley wrote:

> I've run postfix on OpenBSD using MySQL as the database for several
> years with +400 domains and +4k users; handling about 300K messages
> per day. Never gives me any problems.
>
> I had to bump the kern.maxproc and kern.maxfiles sysctl (man 8 sysctl)
> and add the following to /etc/my.cnf
> [mysqld_safe]
> open-files=2000
>
> You may also want to alter the appropriate parts of /etc/login.conf
> (maxproc + openfiles) (man 5 login.conf)
>
> Hope it serves you as well as it has me.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...

Trombley
On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 04:41:48PM +0200, Anders J wrote:

> Could i ask how your login class (/etc/login.conf) for mysql looks like?
> And maybe your [mysqld_safe] entry in/etc/my.cnf?
> I already modified my kern.maxfiles in /etc/sysctl.conf to
> kern.maxfiles=10000 and in my own /etc/login.conf class i have set the
> follwing values:
> mysql:\
> :datasize=infinity:\
> :maxproc=infinity:\
> :openfiles-cur=2048:\
> :openfiles-max=8192:\

Relevant parts of /etc/my.cnf

[mysqld_safe]
open-files=2000

Looking at the machines here, doesn't appear I've actually altered
anything in /etc/login.conf in reguards to mysql.

In /etc/sysctl.conf:
kern.maxproc=1536
kern.maxfiles=8192

Mind you, this isn't meant to imply that this is "right" - just what
has been working for me. I have to admit that the various numbers
for the sysctl and open-files were pulled out of thin air and tried until
problems stopped. If there's a magic formula for it, I am unaware of it.

> TIA
> Anders
>
> Trombley wrote:
> > I've run postfix on OpenBSD using MySQL as the database for several
> > years with +400 domains and +4k users; handling about 300K messages
> > per day. Never gives me any problems.
> >
> > I had to bump the kern.maxproc and kern.maxfiles sysctl (man 8 sysctl)
> > and add the following to /etc/my.cnf
> > [mysqld_safe]
> > open-files=2000
> >
> > You may also want to alter the appropriate parts of /etc/login.conf
> > (maxproc + openfiles) (man 5 login.conf)
> >
> > Hope it serves you as well as it has me.

123