Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
63 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [probably solved] Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Henrique N. Lengler
On 2014-12-23 14:55, Henrique Lengler wrote:

> I figured that my BIOS have a old firmware from 2013. So I decided to
> update it.
> At least this my motherboard did good, I easily updated the firmware by
> plugging
> a USB with the new firmware.
> Then It rebooted and yes, it worked as it should. Booted normally with
> the HDD sata
> connected. I cannot get satisfied yet, I will install a OS and see if
> it will still
>  working.
> I'm in doubt about try openBSD again, I'm afraid everything could
> happen again.
>
> Also is there a explanation to this shitty behavior? My motherboard
> acted like having a
> short circuit, making everything stop working because a bad formatted
> HDD, this is a
> really unexpected behavior, which made me think the problem was
> openBSD.
>
> By now, thanks for helping.
> I expect don't need to post anything more here.
>
> Regards,

UPDATE:

It also loaded OpenBSD from the harddrive, now I don't need to install
it again. This evidence that I did install it right!

Regards,
--
Henrique Lengler

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [probably solved] Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

John Merriam
In reply to this post by Henrique N. Lengler
On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Henrique Lengler wrote:

> I figured that my BIOS have a old firmware from 2013. So I decided to update
> it.
> At least this my motherboard did good, I easily updated the firmware by
> plugging
> a USB with the new firmware.
> Then It rebooted and yes, it worked as it should. Booted normally with the HDD
> sata
> connected. I cannot get satisfied yet, I will install a OS and see if it will
> still
>  working.
> I'm in doubt about try openBSD again, I'm afraid everything could happen
> again.
>
> Also is there a explanation to this shitty behavior? My motherboard acted like
> having a
> short circuit, making everything stop working because a bad formatted HDD,
> this is a
> really unexpected behavior, which made me think the problem was openBSD.
>
> By now, thanks for helping.
> I expect don't need to post anything more here.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Henrique Lengler
>
>

I would guess that you hit a bug (or multiple bugs) in the BIOS.  Probably
something related to UFEI.

I generally try to update the BIOS on my machines when I'm starting over
from scratch with them.  When I recently changed my home server to OpenBSD
I upgraded the motherboard BIOS before starting the process even though I
was not experiencing any problems with the previous BIOS with Linux
installed on the machine.

I don't have any UFEI machines except at work (thank goodness).  It
doesn't surprise me that a UFEI BIOS would be buggy and produce behavior
like that.

--

John Merriam

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [probably solved] Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
In reply to this post by Henrique N. Lengler
Henrique Lengler <[hidden email]> writes:

> It also loaded OpenBSD from the harddrive, now I don't need to install
> it again. This evidence that I did install it right!

So likely it was a buggy BIOS then.

Excellent to hear that you got the thing running, best of luck with the new system!

- Peter

--
Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
"Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Gabriel Guzman-2
In reply to this post by Joel Rees-2
I've been seeing a similar issue on a DELL XPS 13" Developer edition I got
back in June -- ran fine with ubuntu as shipped with Dell, and then I
wiped and installed OpenBSD and now can't even access the BIOS.  

I'm *sure* it's a BIOS issue as the BIOS is probably trying to do
something silly with the hardisk.  Haven't gotten around to flashing the
BIOS to a newer version as I'm fairly sure
I'll need to remove the harddisk before the system will even let me
boot (and that involves taking apart most of the laptop).  It's sad that
BIOSes are so buggy these days, and a bit crazy that something you do to
the disk would cause the BIOS to freak out.  Oh well, whenever the Dell
support people pick up the phone, I'll complain to them for all the good
it will do.

The Dell had no problem booting the install media from usb, was just
when it came time to try and boot from HD that the BIOS freaked, and now
won't allow me to access the BIOS settings or the "choose which media to
boot from" menu.

To the OP -- This is definitely not OpenBSD breaking your system, it's
OpenBSD doing one of the things it does best... exposing bugs in *other*
places (: and I feel your pain, it's quite frustrating when hardware
we've paid for can't handle something that should be easy.

gabe.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Wade, Daniel
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of Gabriel Guzman
> Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 9:49 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated
>
> I've been seeing a similar issue on a DELL XPS 13" Developer edition I got
> back in June -- ran fine with ubuntu as shipped with Dell, and then I
> wiped and installed OpenBSD and now can't even access the BIOS.
>
> I'm *sure* it's a BIOS issue as the BIOS is probably trying to do
> something silly with the hardisk.  Haven't gotten around to flashing the
> BIOS to a newer version as I'm fairly sure
> I'll need to remove the harddisk before the system will even let me
> boot (and that involves taking apart most of the laptop).  It's sad that
> BIOSes are so buggy these days, and a bit crazy that something you do to
> the disk would cause the BIOS to freak out.  Oh well, whenever the Dell
> support people pick up the phone, I'll complain to them for all the good
> it will do.
>
> The Dell had no problem booting the install media from usb, was just
> when it came time to try and boot from HD that the BIOS freaked, and now
> won't allow me to access the BIOS settings or the "choose which media to
> boot from" menu.
>
> To the OP -- This is definitely not OpenBSD breaking your system, it's
> OpenBSD doing one of the things it does best... exposing bugs in *other*
> places (: and I feel your pain, it's quite frustrating when hardware
> we've paid for can't handle something that should be easy.
>
> gabe.


I've got a Dell latitude E5440 that exhibits the same problem.  But only with certain hard drives. I have some that work just fine and then some that will freeze the BIOS. I would recommend trying a different drive

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

VaZub
In reply to this post by Henrique N. Lengler
Got exactly the same issue with my Acer Aspire v5-573G several months ago.
Drove me crazy like hell. Nice to know that I wasn't the only one facing
this problem. Updating Acer BIOS didn't help, I had to remove HDD from
SATA-connected slot altogether to be able to boot past BIOS check.
Interesting observation, though - USB-booting worked without a hitch, both
from a flash drive and from the same HDD connected externally through
SATA-to-USB converter. I hope this helps with further investigation.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Wade, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> > Behalf Of Gabriel Guzman
> > Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 9:49 AM
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated
> >
> > I've been seeing a similar issue on a DELL XPS 13" Developer edition I
> got
> > back in June -- ran fine with ubuntu as shipped with Dell, and then I
> > wiped and installed OpenBSD and now can't even access the BIOS.
> >
> > I'm *sure* it's a BIOS issue as the BIOS is probably trying to do
> > something silly with the hardisk.  Haven't gotten around to flashing the
> > BIOS to a newer version as I'm fairly sure
> > I'll need to remove the harddisk before the system will even let me
> > boot (and that involves taking apart most of the laptop).  It's sad that
> > BIOSes are so buggy these days, and a bit crazy that something you do to
> > the disk would cause the BIOS to freak out.  Oh well, whenever the Dell
> > support people pick up the phone, I'll complain to them for all the good
> > it will do.
> >
> > The Dell had no problem booting the install media from usb, was just
> > when it came time to try and boot from HD that the BIOS freaked, and now
> > won't allow me to access the BIOS settings or the "choose which media to
> > boot from" menu.
> >
> > To the OP -- This is definitely not OpenBSD breaking your system, it's
> > OpenBSD doing one of the things it does best... exposing bugs in *other*
> > places (: and I feel your pain, it's quite frustrating when hardware
> > we've paid for can't handle something that should be easy.
> >
> > gabe.
>
>
> I've got a Dell latitude E5440 that exhibits the same problem.  But only
> with certain hard drives. I have some that work just fine and then some
> that will freeze the BIOS. I would recommend trying a different drive

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Eric Furman-3
In reply to this post by Gabriel Guzman-2
Linux supports the UEFI boot loader. OpenBSD does not.
Before installing OpenBSD you need to enter its setup and enable legacy
support.
You don't need to do that with Linux.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014, at 09:49 AM, Gabriel Guzman wrote:

> I've been seeing a similar issue on a DELL XPS 13" Developer edition I
> got
> back in June -- ran fine with ubuntu as shipped with Dell, and then I
> wiped and installed OpenBSD and now can't even access the BIOS.  
>
> I'm *sure* it's a BIOS issue as the BIOS is probably trying to do
> something silly with the hardisk.  Haven't gotten around to flashing the
> BIOS to a newer version as I'm fairly sure
> I'll need to remove the harddisk before the system will even let me
> boot (and that involves taking apart most of the laptop).  It's sad that
> BIOSes are so buggy these days, and a bit crazy that something you do to
> the disk would cause the BIOS to freak out.  Oh well, whenever the Dell
> support people pick up the phone, I'll complain to them for all the good
> it will do.
>
> The Dell had no problem booting the install media from usb, was just
> when it came time to try and boot from HD that the BIOS freaked, and now
> won't allow me to access the BIOS settings or the "choose which media to
> boot from" menu.
>
> To the OP -- This is definitely not OpenBSD breaking your system, it's
> OpenBSD doing one of the things it does best... exposing bugs in *other*
> places (: and I feel your pain, it's quite frustrating when hardware
> we've paid for can't handle something that should be easy.
>
> gabe.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Mark - Syminet
On Dec 29, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Eric Furman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Linux supports the UEFI boot loader. OpenBSD does not.

...and that is all we need to know.  

Shame on them!  Shame Shame Shame!  

--
Mark

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [probably solved] Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Calvin
In reply to this post by Henrique N. Lengler
I had a machine that didn't like OpenBSD either, it froze during POST or Plop, basically when BIOS services were still usable. It was a BIOS-based system though, and I didn't patch it either. Luckily, I installed on an external disk.

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Henrique Lengler
Sent: December 23, 2014 12:56 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [probably solved] Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

I figured that my BIOS have a old firmware from 2013. So I decided to update it.
At least this my motherboard did good, I easily updated the firmware by plugging a USB with the new firmware.
Then It rebooted and yes, it worked as it should. Booted normally with the HDD sata connected. I cannot get satisfied yet, I will install a OS and see if it will still
  working.
I'm in doubt about try openBSD again, I'm afraid everything could happen again.

Also is there a explanation to this shitty behavior? My motherboard acted like having a short circuit, making everything stop working because a bad formatted HDD, this is a really unexpected behavior, which made me think the problem was openBSD.

By now, thanks for helping.
I expect don't need to post anything more here.

Regards,
--
Henrique Lengler

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Maurice McCarthy
In reply to this post by Mark - Syminet
On 2014-12-30 16:38, Mark - Syminet wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Eric Furman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Linux supports the UEFI boot loader. OpenBSD does not.
>
> ...and that is all we need to know.
>
> Shame on them!  Shame Shame Shame!

Maybe my knowledge is outdated but you've got things wrong here. UEFI
boot code is binary only and owned by Microsoft. This was decided by
whatever board controls the standard. (Standard ?!) To my knowledge,
though it is dated, only Red Hat and Ubuntu have a license from
Microsoft and therefore have created the necessary 'shim code,' as it is
called, to interface with UEFI.

Regards
Moss

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Jason Adams
On 01/01/2015 02:43 AM, Maurice McCarthy wrote:

> On 2014-12-30 16:38, Mark - Syminet wrote:
>> On Dec 29, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Eric Furman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Linux supports the UEFI boot loader. OpenBSD does not.
>>
>> ...and that is all we need to know.
>>
>> Shame on them!  Shame Shame Shame!
>
> Maybe my knowledge is outdated but you've got things wrong here. UEFI boot code is binary only and
> owned by Microsoft. This was decided by whatever board controls the standard. (Standard ?!) To my
> knowledge, though it is dated, only Red Hat and Ubuntu have a license from Microsoft and therefore
> have created the necessary 'shim code,' as it is called, to interface with UEFI.
>
> Regards
> Moss
>

Opensuse as well, as of about 3 releases ago.
I don't know if an actual license is involved, but you do have to get microsoft to sign some
piece of code, which costs 99 bucks per trial (apparently it used to takes a few tries to get
it right).  The association of Microsoft and hardware manufacturers have been looking for
other signing authorities but no one has stepped up yet.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/growing-role-uefi-secure-boot-linux-distributions

--
Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Daniel Dickman
In reply to this post by Ted Unangst-6
On Monday, December 22, 2014, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 00:53, Henrique Lengler wrote:
> > On 2014-12-23 00:50, Edgar Pettijohn III wrote:
> >> Have you tried installing something other than OpenBSD since you ran
> >> into this issue?
> >
> > Since I ran into this issue I can't even access my bios with the HDD
> > sata connected.
>
> That can only be a problem with your BIOS. Update it? Get a better
> one? I don't know. But if your BIOS doesn't work with some drive
> attached, your BIOS is broken.


I just bought a system with what seems like the same problem as in this
thread (dell laptop). I upgraded the drive to an ssd. the laptop firmware
and the ssd firmware were both upgraded to the latest versions.

with windows installed I can press F2 and get into the firmware menu just
fine. with openbsd I just get a black screen when I press F2 at boot.

I did a test. after i installed openbsd, I overwrote the mbr with all
zeroes. when I rebooted I could access the bios menu via F2 again.

does seem like a firmware bug based on the contents of the mbr. will see if
I can diagnose further.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Gene-46
On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Daniel Dickman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday, December 22, 2014, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 00:53, Henrique Lengler wrote:
> > > On 2014-12-23 00:50, Edgar Pettijohn III wrote:
> > >> Have you tried installing something other than OpenBSD since you ran
> > >> into this issue?
> > >
> > > Since I ran into this issue I can't even access my bios with the HDD
> > > sata connected.
> >
> > That can only be a problem with your BIOS. Update it? Get a better
> > one? I don't know. But if your BIOS doesn't work with some drive
> > attached, your BIOS is broken.
>
>
> I just bought a system with what seems like the same problem as in this
> thread (dell laptop). I upgraded the drive to an ssd. the laptop firmware
> and the ssd firmware were both upgraded to the latest versions.
>
> with windows installed I can press F2 and get into the firmware menu just
> fine. with openbsd I just get a black screen when I press F2 at boot.
>
> I did a test. after i installed openbsd, I overwrote the mbr with all
> zeroes. when I rebooted I could access the bios menu via F2 again.
>
> does seem like a firmware bug based on the contents of the mbr. will see if
> I can diagnose further.
>

It's not a bug.  It's a "security feature"...

-Gene

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Nick Holland
On 02/05/15 03:26, Gene wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Daniel Dickman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
...
>> does seem like a firmware bug based on the contents of the mbr. will see if
>> I can diagnose further.
>>
>
> It's not a bug.  It's a "security feature"...

or maybe
"very effective exploit mitigation technique countermeasure"

but yes...if something written on the MBR causes the system to lock
hard, that's a BIOS problem, plain and simple...and if no update is
available, it should be considered defective hardware.  It would be one
thing if the MBR code were being RUN (i.e., part of the boot process)
and hanging (we had this problem long, long ago), but the problem being
described is the BIOS is just looking at the disk's MBR BEFORE TRYING TO
BOOT and freaking out in such a way that it couldn't be fixed without
using another computer to alter the MBR..sounds like a potential DoS
attack vector.  Imagine a disgruntled employee dropping this or similar
code on a bunch of servers on his way out the door and the fun that
would happen on the next patch day.  Sure, someone could simply zero the
MBR and prevent systems from rebooting, but any remote management
solution could fix that.  If you can WEDGE the BIOS, that would require
physical dissassembly of the computer to fix the problem.

Now...if someone figures out a trivial change to the boot code that
fixes this without potentially breaking some other system, maybe it
would be considered for commit, but I think this still qualifies as a
serious hardware defect that manufacturers need to be aware of and fix.

(Using an old DOS boot disk to do an FDISK /MBR will probably render
these machines bootable, but I'd still consider the machine broken.)

Nick.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Daniel Dickman
In reply to this post by Daniel Dickman
On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Daniel Dickman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On Monday, December 22, 2014, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 00:53, Henrique Lengler wrote:
>> > On 2014-12-23 00:50, Edgar Pettijohn III wrote:
>> >> Have you tried installing something other than OpenBSD since you ran
>> >> into this issue?
>> >
>> > Since I ran into this issue I can't even access my bios with the HDD
>> > sata connected.
>>
>> That can only be a problem with your BIOS. Update it? Get a better
>> one? I don't know. But if your BIOS doesn't work with some drive
>> attached, your BIOS is broken.
>
>
> I just bought a system with what seems like the same problem as in this
> thread (dell laptop). I upgraded the drive to an ssd. the laptop firmware
> and the ssd firmware were both upgraded to the latest versions.
>
> with windows installed I can press F2 and get into the firmware menu just
> fine. with openbsd I just get a black screen when I press F2 at boot.
>
> I did a test. after i installed openbsd, I overwrote the mbr with all
> zeroes. when I rebooted I could access the bios menu via F2 again.
>
> does seem like a firmware bug based on the contents of the mbr. will see if
> I can diagnose further.

After some more digging. It's not the MBR itself that's the problem.

The firmware on my laptop reads all the partitions in the MBR except
ones marked as type EE (EFI). It then seems to try to read into those
partitions for something else. If there is even 1 OpenBSD partition,
it chokes on something in it. No idea why the firmware is reading past
the MBR and into the actual disk partitions, seems strange.

Dunno if this helps anyone else with a similar problem, but at least
for my system I know for sure it's a firmware bug.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Christopher Barry-2
On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 00:21:27 -0500
Daniel Dickman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Daniel Dickman <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>>
>> On Monday, December 22, 2014, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 00:53, Henrique Lengler wrote:
>>> > On 2014-12-23 00:50, Edgar Pettijohn III wrote:
>>> >> Have you tried installing something other than OpenBSD since you
>>> >> ran into this issue?
>>> >
>>> > Since I ran into this issue I can't even access my bios with the
>>> > HDD sata connected.
>>>
>>> That can only be a problem with your BIOS. Update it? Get a better
>>> one? I don't know. But if your BIOS doesn't work with some drive
>>> attached, your BIOS is broken.
>>
>>
>> I just bought a system with what seems like the same problem as in
>> this thread (dell laptop). I upgraded the drive to an ssd. the
>> laptop firmware and the ssd firmware were both upgraded to the
>> latest versions.
>>
>> with windows installed I can press F2 and get into the firmware menu
>> just fine. with openbsd I just get a black screen when I press F2 at
>> boot.
>>
>> I did a test. after i installed openbsd, I overwrote the mbr with all
>> zeroes. when I rebooted I could access the bios menu via F2 again.
>>
>> does seem like a firmware bug based on the contents of the mbr. will
>> see if I can diagnose further.
>
>After some more digging. It's not the MBR itself that's the problem.
>
>The firmware on my laptop reads all the partitions in the MBR except
>ones marked as type EE (EFI). It then seems to try to read into those
>partitions for something else. If there is even 1 OpenBSD partition,
>it chokes on something in it. No idea why the firmware is reading past
>the MBR and into the actual disk partitions, seems strange.
>
>Dunno if this helps anyone else with a similar problem, but at least
>for my system I know for sure it's a firmware bug.
>

I have no clue here, but I'm interested about this. Is it possible the
BIOS is trying to identify the filesystem type, so it's save bios to
harddrive, or restore from harddrive, or other functionality that may
require disk access can work? they likely never tested on *bsd, so
the borken error path never got taken before? just throwing that out
there as it came to mind as a possibility. assumptions happen(TM)


--
Regards,
Christopher Barry

Random geeky fortune:
Protect from light.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Mihai Popescu-3
In reply to this post by Henrique N. Lengler
> Openbsd broke my hard drive twice!

No, you have failed twice getting a proper hardware.

> Getting frustrated

Go talk to a specialist, OpenBSD cannot help you with this.

Will this thread with a really stupid name continue for much longer?
It looks very much like a troll's job.

Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff-2
In reply to this post by Daniel Dickman
Daniel Dickman said:
> The firmware on my laptop reads all the partitions in the MBR except
> ones marked as type EE (EFI). It then seems to try to read into those
> partitions for something else. If there is even 1 OpenBSD partition,
> it chokes on something in it. No idea why the firmware is reading past
> the MBR and into the actual disk partitions, seems strange.

Firmware may be trying to verify integrity of ntldr just like UEFI
firmware would.  Makes sense as "security feature" in PR department's
view.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Gabriel Guzman-2
In reply to this post by Gabriel Guzman-2
On 12/29, Gabriel Guzman wrote:
> I've been seeing a similar issue on a DELL XPS 13" Developer edition I got
> back in June -- ran fine with ubuntu as shipped with Dell, and then I
> wiped and installed OpenBSD and now can't even access the BIOS.  

I figured out the issue.  On my machine (DEL XPS 13) it was the "Intel
Rapid Boot" option in BIOS.  Disabling that resolved all my boot issues.
I can now boot with MBR or GPT off the internal SSD.  And, I can also
access the BIOS with the internal SSD installed in the system (this was
not possible before)

gabe.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openbsd broke my hard drive twice! Getting frustrated

Andrew Gwozdziewycz
Hi Gabe,

I found it possible to boot and install 5.9 on an XPS 13" (9333)[0], but
had problems getting the all important suspend to RAM (or anything which
allowed me to close the lid and reopen to resume work) to work. Were you
successful in getting this necessary laptop functionality working correctly?

If so, would you mind sharing your configs? I'd love to reinstall OpenBSD
on this machine, but can't sacrifice that.

Cheers,

Andrew

[0]: To be fair, I suffered the same problems you did, where I thought the
drive was dead. But, in reality, I just had to repartition it with EFI in
mind from a thumb drive booted Linux installer, and try again.

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 8:30 PM, Gabriel Guzman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 12/29, Gabriel Guzman wrote:
> > I've been seeing a similar issue on a DELL XPS 13" Developer edition I
> got
> > back in June -- ran fine with ubuntu as shipped with Dell, and then I
> > wiped and installed OpenBSD and now can't even access the BIOS.
>
> I figured out the issue.  On my machine (DEL XPS 13) it was the "Intel
> Rapid Boot" option in BIOS.  Disabling that resolved all my boot issues.
> I can now boot with MBR or GPT off the internal SSD.  And, I can also
> access the BIOS with the internal SSD installed in the system (this was
> not possible before)
>
> gabe.
>
>


--
http://apgwoz.com

1234