Openbsd 6.6 amd64 stable bridge with 90 vlans does not forward packets after reboot

Openbsd 6.6 amd64 stable bridge with 90 vlans does not forward packets after reboot

Tom Smyth
Hello,

I have a box that I use to aggregate a number of vlans which are
isolated from each other(using port protection groups  and bridged
onto a 10G interface ix0
these are configured using a standard  hostname.bridgefile as follows,
cat /etc/hostname.bridge101
maxaddr 16384 timeout 300
up
add ix0 -stp ix0
add vlan604 protected vlan604 1 -stp vlan604
add vlan4069 protected vlan4069 1 -stp vlan4069
.
.
.
add vlan3982 protected vlan43982 1 -stp vlan3982

when I reboot the box ... the system does not seem to forward frames )

but if I run
sh /etc/netstart bridge101

then the bridge forwards the packets just fine.

interface configs are as follows
cat /etc/hostname.ix0
mtu 1700 up

cat /etc/hostname.ix1
mtu 1708 up

cat /etc/hostname.vlan3982
parent ix1 vnetid 3982 mtu 1700 up

ifconfig bridge101 yields similar results after reboot as opposed to
ifconfig bridge101 after restarting the interface

the only differences I saw was the index

after reboot the index of bridge101 was 6

but after restarting the bridge101 the index of bridge101 was 98
(which sounds to me like perhaps the bridge was being started before
the vlans on bootup)

has anyone come across this issue before?
Thanks

--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth.

Re: Openbsd 6.6 amd64 stable bridge with 90 vlans does not forward packets after reboot

Aaron Mason
Hi Tom

Just looking at /etc/netstart (admittedly for 6.1) and by all rights
that shouldn't be happening - the VLAN interfaces should be starting
well before the bridges.  Maybe add !sleep 1 to the top of the
/etc/hostname.bridge101 file and see if it does better?

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

Re: Openbsd 6.6 amd64 stable bridge with 90 vlans does not forward packets after reboot

Tom Smyth
hi Aaron,

I tried that,  no such luck
!/bin/sleep 20  didnt work
i also tried  adding  sh /etc/netstart bridge101 to the rc.local that
didnt work,

I ended up just manually destroying the bridge and starting it with sh
/etc/netstart to get it running...
Thanks
Tom Smyth