Openbsd 5.7 and usb hubs daisy chained inquiry

Openbsd 5.7 and usb hubs daisy chained inquiry

securityvsconvenience
Hi,

I'm running Openbsd 5.7 on several servers and would like to create an
array of usb sticks by daisy chaining sabrent usb hubs together (model:
HB-U14P). Is this compatible ( I'd be happy to mail in samples if someone
was interested in adding this functionality to Openbsd for additional
privacy). Also, how would a newcomer to OpenBSD ( installed 5.7 via cd and
still working on dmesg and subnet and gateway configurations) go about
learning how to configure such a setup? Any recommendations on which man
pages or resources to read and experiment with?

Cheers,

Danny

--
danny nguyen
linkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/pub/danny-n/7/b63/379>

Re: Openbsd 5.7 and usb hubs daisy chained inquiry

ludovic coues

> I'm running Openbsd 5.7 on several servers and would like to create an
> array of usb sticks by daisy chaining sabrent usb hubs together (model:
> HB-U14P). Is this compatible ( I'd be happy to mail in samples if someone
> was interested in adding this functionality to Openbsd for additional
> privacy). Also, how would a newcomer to OpenBSD ( installed 5.7 via cd and
> still working on dmesg and subnet and gateway configurations) go about
> learning how to configure such a setup? Any recommendations on which man
> pages or resources to read and experiment with?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Danny
>

> --
> danny nguyen
> linkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/pub/danny-n/7/b63/379>

It should works fine.
Simply plugs your usb hub in and device should show up.

--

Cordialement, Coues Ludovic
+336 148 743 42

Re: Openbsd 5.7 and usb hubs daisy chained inquiry

Stefan Sperling-5
On Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 08:41:23PM +0200, ludovic coues wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running Openbsd 5.7 on several servers and would like to create an
> > array of usb sticks by daisy chaining sabrent usb hubs together (model:
> > HB-U14P). Is this compatible ( I'd be happy to mail in samples if someone
> > was interested in adding this functionality to Openbsd for additional
> > privacy). Also, how would a newcomer to OpenBSD ( installed 5.7 via cd and
> > still working on dmesg and subnet and gateway configurations) go about
> > learning how to configure such a setup? Any recommendations on which man
> > pages or resources to read and experiment with?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Danny
> >

> > --
> > danny nguyen
> > linkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/pub/danny-n/7/b63/379>
> >

> It should works fine.
> Simply plugs your usb hub in and device should show up.

Many hubs can draw power only from their USB host. Do not chain those.
Make sure every chained hub is self-powered. Else you might see very
strange behaviour from some devices plugged into hubs behind hubs.
Our USB stack seems to have issues managing power across cascaded buses.

I have a long USB cable (a single-port hub) and plug a 4-port hub in there,
which in turn is used to connect USB input devices. If the 4-port hub's
own power supply is not plugged then the keyboard will sometimes repeat
key presses forever and the mouse will randomly stop working.
And game pads will ruin perfect runs of super mario by dropping out
at the most inconvenient of moments.
Save yourself from frustration and use actively powered hubs.