OpenJFX

Christian Schulte
Hi,

is someone already working on porting OpenJFX [1]?

[1] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Main

Christian

Re: OpenJFX

Bryan C. Everly-2
Nobody is working on this as far as I know. What are you thinking?
I've been helping to port all of the OpenJDK regression test tools.
Looking for some help?

Thanks,
Bryan

> On Aug 26, 2015, at 9:15 PM, Christian Schulte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> is someone already working on porting OpenJFX [1]?
>
> [1] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Main
>
> --
> Christian

Re: OpenJFX

Christian Schulte
Am 08/28/15 um 21:08 schrieb Bryan Everly:
> Nobody is working on this as far as I know. What are you thinking?
> I've been helping to port all of the OpenJDK regression test tools.
> Looking for some help?

I cloned the OpenJFX repository and tried building it. I then started
fixing things step by step until I could compile things. It now turns
out that there is quite some work to do, to make it run on OpenBSD. I am
currently running into issues like aborting processes because a mutex is
unlocked which hasn't been locked and things like that (incorrect GDK
intialization prior to calling gtk_main()). Then there are hardcoded
references to Lucida fonts in the JRE which aren't available in OpenBSD.
There are way to many questions I would need to ask. Does anyone know
what the other BSDs are planning? A JRE without JavaFX isn't complete. I
maybe will get things working locally but would want to avoid useless
efforts.

Christian

Re: OpenJFX

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2015/08/28 21:42, Christian Schulte wrote:

> Am 08/28/15 um 21:08 schrieb Bryan Everly:
> >Nobody is working on this as far as I know. What are you thinking?
> >I've been helping to port all of the OpenJDK regression test tools.
> >Looking for some help?
>
> I cloned the OpenJFX repository and tried building it. I then started fixing
> things step by step until I could compile things. It now turns out that
> there is quite some work to do, to make it run on OpenBSD. I am currently
> running into issues like aborting processes because a mutex is unlocked
> which hasn't been locked and things like that (incorrect GDK intialization
> prior to calling gtk_main()). Then there are hardcoded references to Lucida
> fonts in the JRE which aren't available in OpenBSD.

I don't know anything about OpenJFX, but FWIW the Lucida fonts
should be aliased in /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-lucida-aliases.conf.
Or is it specifically looking for .ttf files for them?

Re: OpenJFX

Christian Schulte
Am 08/28/15 um 23:29 schrieb Stuart Henderson:

> On 2015/08/28 21:42, Christian Schulte wrote:
>> Am 08/28/15 um 21:08 schrieb Bryan Everly:
>>> Nobody is working on this as far as I know. What are you thinking?
>>> I've been helping to port all of the OpenJDK regression test tools.
>>> Looking for some help?
>>
>> I cloned the OpenJFX repository and tried building it. I then started fixing
>> things step by step until I could compile things. It now turns out that
>> there is quite some work to do, to make it run on OpenBSD. I am currently
>> running into issues like aborting processes because a mutex is unlocked
>> which hasn't been locked and things like that (incorrect GDK intialization
>> prior to calling gtk_main()). Then there are hardcoded references to Lucida
>> fonts in the JRE which aren't available in OpenBSD.
>
> I don't know anything about OpenJFX, but FWIW the Lucida fonts
> should be aliased in /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-lucida-aliases.conf.
> Or is it specifically looking for .ttf files for them?

A platform dependency slipped through so it did not use the fontconfig
mechanism as it should. I think I am already just running into bugs
related to GTK+2 and pthreads. I could open the SceneBuilder application
window once, for example. The VM keeps crashing. Is there anything
special about GTK+2 and threads on OpenBSD I need to look into or I
could try?

Re: OpenJFX

wvdschel

Are you still looking into this?

I found someone else who once upon a time worked on an openjfx port for OpenBSD: http://www.darwinsys.com/openbsd/myports.jsp

Perhaps you could reach out to him and ask him to share his progress?

Kind regards,

Wim