OpenBSD won't install on an x220 Thinkpad with Coreboot/SeaBIOS

OpenBSD won't install on an x220 Thinkpad with Coreboot/SeaBIOS

Myself
I'm trying to get OpenBSD to install on an x220 Thinkpad with Coreboot
but I'm running into two problems: the ethernet device doesn't work and
OpenBSD doesn't detect my HDD. dmesg said em0 wouldn't load because the
EEPROM had an invalid signature.  I have no idea why it doesn't detect
the HDD though.  Sadly I can't figure out a way to attach the dmesg in
this email because I can't seem to copy the dmesg onto a flash drive
either since OpenBSD doesn't see the flash drive.

Re: OpenBSD won't install on an x220 Thinkpad with Coreboot/SeaBIOS

Klemens Nanni-2
On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 04:58:43PM -0500, Robert Milton wrote:
> I'm trying to get OpenBSD to install on an x220 Thinkpad with Coreboot but
> I'm running into two problems: the ethernet device doesn't work and OpenBSD
> doesn't detect my HDD. dmesg said em0 wouldn't load because the EEPROM had
> an invalid signature.  I have no idea why it doesn't detect the HDD though.
> Sadly I can't figure out a way to attach the dmesg in this email because I
> can't seem to copy the dmesg onto a flash drive either since OpenBSD doesn't
> see the flash drive.
This is most likely a hardware and/or firmware issue.

You provided no version information whatsoever, so there's nothing to
help with anyway.

Check your coreboot build, it's probably borked. You might as well
install the iPXE payload to do quick and easy cross-testing of other
operating systems in case your NIC is working.

Re: OpenBSD won't install on an x220 Thinkpad with Coreboot/SeaBIOS

Theo de Raadt-2
Robert Milton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to get OpenBSD to install on an x220 Thinkpad with Coreboot
> but I'm running into two problems: the ethernet device doesn't work
> and OpenBSD doesn't detect my HDD. dmesg said em0 wouldn't load
> because the EEPROM had an invalid signature.  I have no idea why it
> doesn't detect the HDD though.  Sadly I can't figure out a way to
> attach the dmesg in this email because I can't seem to copy the dmesg
> onto a flash drive either since OpenBSD doesn't see the flash drive.

OpenBSD runs on 99.999999% of PC's.

Submit a bug to coreboot.

They are doing something very different.

It is not our problem.

Re: OpenBSD won't install on an x220 Thinkpad with Coreboot/SeaBIOS

Kenneth Hendrickson
--- On Thu, 12/20/18, Robert Milton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to get OpenBSD to install on an
> x220 Thinkpad with Coreboot
> but I'm running into two problems: the
> ethernet device doesn't work and
> OpenBSD doesn't detect my HDD.

Did you change any of the hardware on your x220?

Lenovo has done a very evil thing.  They have put code into their bios that prevents booting up if you have installed unapproved (non-Lenovo) hardware.

If you have changed any of the laptop hardware, try restoring the original hardware.

If you really want to change the hardware, buy only hardware that will work with your particular laptop.