OpenBSD sysupgrade rocks

Kanto Andria
Hello all,
Just did sysupgrade on all 4 of my OpenBSD 6.6 systems. Work w/o any issue!
Congrats for all the devs.
1) OpenBSD thinkCenter.my.domain 6.7 GENERIC.MP#169 i386 - cpu0: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 3.40 GHz, 06-17-0a
2) OpenBSD Aromanda.my.domain 6.7 GENERIC.MP#182 amd64 - cpu[0-3]: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz, 1895.94 MHz, 06-45-01
3) OpenBSD bsdell.my.domain 6.7 GENERIC#165 i386 - cpu0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 2 GHz, 0f-02-0
4) OpenBSD volvo253.my.domain 6.7 GENERIC#165 i386 - cpu0: Intel Pentium III ("GenuineIntel" 686-class, 512KB L2 cache) 450 MHz, 06-07-02
Thank you.

Re: OpenBSD sysupgrade rocks

Chris Bennett-4
It is a great tool.

This is a good example of something that anyone witha will can come up
with.

Propose an idea that *YOU* are capable of doing.
Ask if such a thing is actually desirable, it might not be. That's OK.
Do the work, a WIP is OK and submit a diff.
Keep doing the work until usable and see what happens.
You wouldn't have to be a top-notch C or Perl, etc. programmer.

Anyone can help the project. Please do.

Please don't beg for features.
That's very irritating and wastes everyone's time.

Please don't ask for features, once again.
Really, I mean it. Don't ask for features!

:-)

Chris Bennett

Re: OpenBSD sysupgrade rocks

Frank Beuth
On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 02:07:27PM -0400, Chris Bennett wrote:
>Please don't beg for features.
>That's very irritating and wastes everyone's time.
>
>Please don't ask for features, once again.
>Really, I mean it. Don't ask for features!

How about a counterpart to `sendbug` called `requestfeature`, which is
an alias to `fortune` run with a file consisting of Theo's snarkiest
remarks?

Re: OpenBSD sysupgrade rocks

Marc Espie-2
On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 07:06:05AM +0000, Frank Beuth wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 02:07:27PM -0400, Chris Bennett wrote:
> > Please don't beg for features.
> > That's very irritating and wastes everyone's time.
> >
> > Please don't ask for features, once again.
> > Really, I mean it. Don't ask for features!
>
> How about a counterpart to `sendbug` called `requestfeature`, which is an
> alias to `fortune` run with a file consisting of Theo's snarkiest remarks?

Theo's snarkiest remarks are definitely NSFW!

Re: OpenBSD sysupgrade rocks

Ingo Schwarze
Hi Chris,

Chris Bennett wrote on Wed, May 20, 2020 at 02:07:27PM -0400:

> Do the work, a WIP is OK and submit a diff.

Not a bad idea, put your fingers where your mouth is!

> Please don't ask for features, once again.
> Really, I mean it. Don't ask for features!

I disagree.

About one third of the THANKS section of mandoc(1) release notes
typically consists of thanking people who asked for features.

Heck, i have even used presentations at international conferences
to thank people who asked for features.

As an example, i still fondly remember Paul Onyschuk's question
on August 9, 2014:

  "Are there any plans for providing a man(1) command also?  This
  would make mdocml a possible, standalone replacement for the groff
  and man-db combination (typical in Linux distributions)."

My first impulse was to reply "no, i dislike that idea".
Then i reconsidered, and less then three weeks later, it was done.
Nowadays, i could no longer imagine living without it.

For details, see pages 40-44 (marked SURPRISE TOPIC) of these slides:

  https://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurobsdcon2014-mandoc-slides.pdf

The "thank you" mention in particular is on page 43.

Yours,
  Ingo

Re: OpenBSD sysupgrade rocks

flauenroth
Hey Ingo,

I think your example is a good example of people asking a question that doesn´t get carried over as a "go, do work dev". That is pretty ok I think. Asking about any future plans is a difference to demanding something/asking misc to implement stuff. For example, I had some serious issues getting wi-fi to work on several notebooks but asking misc why wi-fi isn´t working and if someone could actually solve the issue was no option to me, simply because I couldn´t even nail down where the actual issue was except for "driver problems and/or card not recognised". So I tried to get to a level where I gathered enough informations to ask a proper question. Now the problem is solved so my wi-fi issues are gone for good. :)

Have a nice day and stay healthy.

Fabian

Always exit with 42 to return the answer.

publickey - flauenroth@protonmail.com - 0xD727BBC1.asc (2K) Download Attachment