OpenBSD site

misc nick
I was wondering how you maintain and update such high quality content in OpenBSD's site.
Do you manually edit html files, use a cms, or something else? I am asking to shamelessly
copy your best practices. ;-)

Thanks,
Nick

Re: OpenBSD site

Janne Johansson-3
Manual edits, no hurry to jump on this weeks fashionable web
framework, testing with lynx goes a long way to keep it simple and
readable.

Den lör 27 okt. 2018 kl 11:14 skrev misc nick <[hidden email]>:

> I was wondering how you maintain and update such high quality content in OpenBSD's site.
> Do you manually edit html files, use a cms, or something else? I am asking to shamelessly
> copy your best practices. ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Re: OpenBSD site

ivpgbe
Knowing OpenBSD philosophy, you should probably NOT expect a CMS :).

But you don't need to guess when you can check for yourself - all the sources are available for an anonymous CVS as described in [1].

You can easily have an up-to-date local copy on your machine by first reading manual pages on cvs(1), httpd(8) and httpd.conf(5) and then doing something like (as root):

# mkdir -p /var/www/htdocs/openbsd
# cd /var/www/htdocs/openbsd
# cvs -qd [hidden email]:/cvs checkout -P www

and adding the following section to /etc/httpd.conf:

server "openbsd-doc" {
        listen on * port 81
        root "/htdocs/openbsd/www"
}

and enabling httpd:

# rcctl enable httpd

After that, navigate to http://localhost:81 and enjoy browsing an offline copy of OpenBSD website.

[1] https://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018, at 4:24 AM, Janne Johansson wrote:

> Manual edits, no hurry to jump on this weeks fashionable web
> framework, testing with lynx goes a long way to keep it simple and
> readable.
>
> Den lör 27 okt. 2018 kl 11:14 skrev misc nick <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > I was wondering how you maintain and update such high quality content in OpenBSD's site.
> > Do you manually edit html files, use a cms, or something else? I am asking to shamelessly
> > copy your best practices. ;-)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nick
> >

> --
> May the most significant bit of your life be positive.

Re: OpenBSD site

Solene Rapenne
Le 2018-10-27 21:06, [hidden email] a écrit :

> Knowing OpenBSD philosophy, you should probably NOT expect a CMS :).
>
> But you don't need to guess when you can check for yourself - all the
> sources are available for an anonymous CVS as described in [1].
>
> You can easily have an up-to-date local copy on your machine by first
> reading manual pages on cvs(1), httpd(8) and httpd.conf(5) and then
> doing something like (as root):
>
> # mkdir -p /var/www/htdocs/openbsd
> # cd /var/www/htdocs/openbsd
> # cvs -qd [hidden email]:/cvs checkout -P www
>
> and adding the following section to /etc/httpd.conf:
>
> server "openbsd-doc" {
>         listen on * port 81
>         root "/htdocs/openbsd/www"
> }
>
> and enabling httpd:
>
> # rcctl enable httpd
>
> After that, navigate to http://localhost:81 and enjoy browsing an
> offline copy of OpenBSD website.
>
> [1] https://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html

you don't even need to setup a http server to browse the pages :)

Re: OpenBSD site

ivpgbe
On Sat, Oct 27, 2018, at 12:16 PM, Solène Rapenne wrote:
> Le 2018-10-27 21:06, [hidden email] a écrit :
> > After that, navigate to http://localhost:81 and enjoy browsing an
> > offline copy of OpenBSD website.
> >
> > [1] https://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html
> >

> you don't even need to setup a http server to browse the pages :)

You are right, of course - but that would require giving your browser access to that part of the file system. I'm  running Chromium with --enable-unveil, that's why I prefer the approach above.

Re: OpenBSD site

Henry Bonath
This is amazing to know, thank you!

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 3:11 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Knowing OpenBSD philosophy, you should probably NOT expect a CMS :).
>
> But you don't need to guess when you can check for yourself - all the
> sources are available for an anonymous CVS as described in [1].
>
> You can easily have an up-to-date local copy on your machine by first
> reading manual pages on cvs(1), httpd(8) and httpd.conf(5) and then doing
> something like (as root):
>
> # mkdir -p /var/www/htdocs/openbsd
> # cd /var/www/htdocs/openbsd
> # cvs -qd [hidden email]:/cvs checkout -P www
>
> and adding the following section to /etc/httpd.conf:
>
> server "openbsd-doc" {
>         listen on * port 81
>         root "/htdocs/openbsd/www"
> }
>
> and enabling httpd:
>
> # rcctl enable httpd
>
> After that, navigate to http://localhost:81 and enjoy browsing an offline
> copy of OpenBSD website.
>
> [1] https://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html
>

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018, at 4:24 AM, Janne Johansson wrote:
> > Manual edits, no hurry to jump on this weeks fashionable web
> > framework, testing with lynx goes a long way to keep it simple and
> > readable.
> >
> > Den lör 27 okt. 2018 kl 11:14 skrev misc nick <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > I was wondering how you maintain and update such high quality content
> in OpenBSD's site.
> > > Do you manually edit html files, use a cms, or something else? I am
> asking to shamelessly
> > > copy your best practices. ;-)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Nick
> > >

> > --
> > May the most significant bit of your life be positive.

Re: OpenBSD site

Aaron Mason
Even more amazing - if you see an error on the website, you can fix it
and send a patch.  If they like it, they'll include the change.  I put
in a patch a quite a few years ago to replace some broken links with
archived counterparts[1] which Theo himself accepted [2].  Not tooting
my own horn here, just saying that it can be done, and it's one of the
things that's kept me coming back all these years.

[1] https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-www&m=129340910201453&w=2
[2] https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=129355971818793&w=2
On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 10:01 AM Henry Bonath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is amazing to know, thank you!
>
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 3:11 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Knowing OpenBSD philosophy, you should probably NOT expect a CMS :).
> >
> > But you don't need to guess when you can check for yourself - all the
> > sources are available for an anonymous CVS as described in [1].
> >
> > You can easily have an up-to-date local copy on your machine by first
> > reading manual pages on cvs(1), httpd(8) and httpd.conf(5) and then doing
> > something like (as root):
> >
> > # mkdir -p /var/www/htdocs/openbsd
> > # cd /var/www/htdocs/openbsd
> > # cvs -qd [hidden email]:/cvs checkout -P www
> >
> > and adding the following section to /etc/httpd.conf:
> >
> > server "openbsd-doc" {
> >         listen on * port 81
> >         root "/htdocs/openbsd/www"
> > }
> >
> > and enabling httpd:
> >
> > # rcctl enable httpd
> >
> > After that, navigate to http://localhost:81 and enjoy browsing an offline
> > copy of OpenBSD website.
> >
> > [1] https://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html
> >

> > On Sat, Oct 27, 2018, at 4:24 AM, Janne Johansson wrote:
> > > Manual edits, no hurry to jump on this weeks fashionable web
> > > framework, testing with lynx goes a long way to keep it simple and
> > > readable.

> > in OpenBSD's site.
> > asking to shamelessly

> > > --
> > > May the most significant bit of your life be positive.

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse