OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Bray Mailloux
Hello;

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a terminal program similar
to hyper terminal for windows in structure but not appearance.

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Darren S.
On 5/10/07, BradenM - Sonoma Computer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a terminal program similar
> to hyper terminal for windows in structure but not appearance.

tip(1) and cu(1) (same binary) are in base and you can find in ports:

Port:   minicom-2.00.0p2
Info:   MS-DOS Telix-like serial communication program
Maint:  The OpenBSD ports mailing-list <[hidden email]>
Index:  comms
L-deps: iconv.>=4::converters/libiconv intl.>=3:gettext->=0.10.38:devel/gettext
B-deps: :devel/metaauto autoconf-2.13:devel/autoconf/2.13
gettext->=0.14.6:devel/gettext
R-deps: :comms/kermit :comms/lrzsz gettext->=0.10.38:devel/gettext
Archs:  any

DS

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Christian Weisgerber
BradenM - Sonoma Computer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a terminal program similar
> to hyper terminal for windows in structure but not appearance.

Are you looking for
(1) a terminal emulator, or
(2) a serial communications program?

These are two entirely separate functions although there is an
unfortunate history of conflating them in the PC world.

For (1), the most popular is xterm.  For (2), cu/tip is included
in the base system.

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Claudio Jeker
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 01:29:42PM -0700, BradenM - Sonoma Computer wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a terminal program similar
> to hyper terminal for windows in structure but not appearance.

cu and tip, both are in base.

:wq Claudio

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Diana Eichert
I use cu

man tip(1)

diana

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Bryan Irvine
On 5/10/07, BradenM - Sonoma Computer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a terminal program similar
> to hyper terminal for windows in structure but not appearance.

Someone else already suggested cu/tip which are good.  My weapon of
choice is minicom which is in ports.

--Bryan

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Darren Spruell wrote:

> ... and you can find in ports:
>
> Port:   minicom-2.00.0p2
> Info:   MS-DOS Telix-like serial communication program

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ;-)

if there's one thing that really bugs me when I'm working on a Linux
system ( yes I do touch them on occasion ) is having to use minicom.

simply put cu is your friend.
ex: cu -l /dev/ttyU0 -s 9600
connects me to the serial console port on my Plextor boxes via a USB
cellphone data cable

diana

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Jason McIntyre-2
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 03:31:30PM -0600, Diana Eichert wrote:
> I use cu
>
> man tip(1)
>
> diana

note that cu and tip have separate man pages now.
jmc

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Chris Kuethe
On 5/10/07, Diana Eichert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> if there's one thing that really bugs me when I'm working on a Linux
> system ( yes I do touch them on occasion ) is having to use minicom.

Minicom is nice if you want to control logging during your session,
and if you're doing something that might cause your device to change
speeds...

CK

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Jason McIntyre wrote:

> note that cu and tip have separate man pages now.
> jmc

yeah, I just looked in one of the ssh sessions I had running, it's running
3.5.

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Zach Keatts
On 5/10/07, Diana Eichert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2007, Jason McIntyre wrote:
>
> > note that cu and tip have separate man pages now.
> > jmc
>
> yeah, I just looked in one of the ssh sessions I had running, it's running
> 3.5.

 Can you use cu/tip to start a session with a box with no kernel to start a
remote install?  The man page says

"cu/tip establishes a full-duplex connection to another machine, giving the
appearance of being logged in directly on the remote CPU."

This part leads me to believe that it should be no problem, but reading
further,

"It goes with-out saying that you must have a login on the machine (or
equivalent) to which you wish to connect."

Makes me think some sort of OS has to be present before using cu.  I have a
couple of sparc machines with no monitor/OS that I would love to throw an OS
on..

Zach

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Stuart Henderson
On 2007/05/11 08:51, Zach Keatts wrote:

>  Can you use cu/tip to start a session with a box with no kernel to start a
> remote install?  The man page says

Depends on the box you're connecting to.

> I have a couple of sparc machines with no monitor/OS that I would
> love to throw an OS on..

You should generally be ok with sparc hardware, as long as you have
a machine on the same network segment that can serve as a boot server
to get things started. Start with diskless(8) - some of this is only
needed when running the OS with root and swap mounted over NFS and
is not necessary when you just want to boot bsd.rd to install onto
local disk.

To netboot most arch you'll be modifying /etc/{ethers,bootparams,hosts}
and setting up tftpd if you don't have one already.

For PCs (i386/amd64) there's less to do, you just need to setup
tftpd and dhcpd, I don't think there's any OS with a simpler netboot
procedure than OpenBSD - I buy the CD sets anyway but haven't used
them in a long time...

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Zach Keatts wrote:

> Can you use cu/tip to start a session with a box with no kernel to start a
> remote install?  The man page says
>
> "cu/tip establishes a full-duplex connection to another machine, giving the
> appearance of being logged in directly on the remote CPU."
>
> This part leads me to believe that it should be no problem, but reading
> further,
>
> "It goes with-out saying that you must have a login on the machine (or
> equivalent) to which you wish to connect."
>
> Makes me think some sort of OS has to be present before using cu.  I have a
> couple of sparc machines with no monitor/OS that I would love to throw an OS
> on..
>
> Zach

sure you can, but the hardware boot ROM has to support it.  I ran most of
my non-intel systems headless for years.  If you're running i386/amd64
boxes a lot have a BIOS setting called console "redirection" or something
similar.  While it works it's no where near as friendly as the non-intel
workstation/server ROM monitors.  However as more and more intel/amd boxes
showed up in lights out data centers the server manufactures started
supporting real remote management solutions.

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

beck-7
> >Makes me think some sort of OS has to be present before using cu.  I have a
> >couple of sparc machines with no monitor/OS that I would love to throw an
> >OS
> >on..
> >
> >Zach
>
> sure you can, but the hardware boot ROM has to support it.  I ran most of
> my non-intel systems headless for years.  If you're running i386/amd64
> boxes a lot have a BIOS setting called console "redirection" or something
> similar.  While it works it's no where near as friendly as the non-intel
> workstation/server ROM monitors.  However as more and more intel/amd boxes
> showed up in lights out data centers the server manufactures started
> supporting real remote management solutions.

        Typically for OpenBSD, you need to set the PC bios on an i386
machine to do console redirection at 9600 baud (8N1) until the OS boots
and *NOT* do it afterwards. This is because if it does it afterwards then
typically the bios eats com0 and you can't use it from OpenBSD for
a real serial tty.

        The trick is finding the right settings in the stupid bios. and
of course since PC bios's are based on 15 years of programming
by monkeys with typewriters it can be a bit of an effort sometimes, assuming
your bios supports it, and it works.

        we run most of our i386 boxen here headless with serial consoles.
we either connect direct with tip/cu, or we run conserver from ports,
which is a wonderful thing.

        -Bob

On 5/11/07, Bob Beck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > >Makes me think some sort of OS has to be present before using cu.  I
> have a
> > >couple of sparc machines with no monitor/OS that I would love to throw
> an
> > >OS
> > >on..
> > >
> > >Zach
> >
> > sure you can, but the hardware boot ROM has to support it.  I ran most
> of
> > my non-intel systems headless for years.  If you're running i386/amd64
> > boxes a lot have a BIOS setting called console "redirection" or
> something
> > similar.  While it works it's no where near as friendly as the non-intel
> > workstation/server ROM monitors.  However as more and more intel/amd
> boxes
> > showed up in lights out data centers the server manufactures started
> > supporting real remote management solutions.
> >

>        Typically for OpenBSD, you need to set the PC bios on an i386
> machine to do console redirection at 9600 baud (8N1) until the OS boots
> and *NOT* do it afterwards. This is because if it does it afterwards then
> typically the bios eats com0 and you can't use it from OpenBSD for
> a real serial tty.
>
>        The trick is finding the right settings in the stupid bios. and
> of course since PC bios's are based on 15 years of programming
> by monkeys with typewriters it can be a bit of an effort sometimes,
> assuming
> your bios supports it, and it works.
>
>        we run most of our i386 boxen here headless with serial consoles.
> we either connect direct with tip/cu, or we run conserver from ports,
> which is a wonderful thing.
>
>        -Bob

Fortunately this is a sparc machine, so I do not believe I will need to
manually set the BIOS.  At least I hope not.   When you mentioned setting
the BIOS on an i386 to do a redirection, this makes me think that this
initial step is not a headless operation.  My goal is to do the entire
install etc. headless (since I am without a monitor, but have access to a
bsd laptop + serial).

I will be playing around with this tonight so I should know more soon.

Bob, Diana, and Stuart -- Thanks for the great responses, its exactly what I
needed.

Zach

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Matthew Weigel
Zach Keatts wrote:

> Fortunately this is a sparc machine,

Then everything will work fine.

It's specifically i386 that sucks so hard.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 hacker

Re: OpenBSD serial terminal binary programs

Clint Pachl
Matthew Weigel wrote:

> Zach Keatts wrote:
>

>> Fortunately this is a sparc machine,
>>

> Then everything will work fine.
>
> It's specifically i386 that sucks so hard.

Hey man, not all i386 "suck so hard." I have some old IBM xSeries
servers that don't even have PS/2 or VGA ports. The only way to get in
the machine is through the first serial port or IBM's proprietary daisy
chain connections (which is cool if you want to spend some bucks for
cables and hardware).