OpenBSD's webpage desing

1234 ... 6

OpenBSD's webpage desing

Pablo Velasco Fernández
Hi. I was loolong the FreeBSD web page. And its a cool page with a cool
desing. Maybe OpenBSD should change their own page to a most "visual" web
page. ( Its only my opinion ) What do you think?

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Miod Vallat
> Hi. I was loolong the FreeBSD web page. And its a cool page with a cool
> desing. Maybe OpenBSD should change their own page to a most "visual" web
> page. ( Its only my opinion ) What do you think?

Last time I checked, you could use eyes to browse the OpenBSD website.
Why do you consider it non-visual?

Miod

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Matthew Dempsky-3
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Pablo Velasco Fernández
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi. I was loolong the FreeBSD web page. And its a cool page with a cool
> desing. Maybe OpenBSD should change their own page to a most "visual" web
> page. ( Its only my opinion ) What do you think?

The FAQ could definitely use some +1 buttons!!

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Pablo Velasco Fernández
I mean.. A modern style.
El 26/06/2012 23:55, "Miod Vallat" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> > Hi. I was loolong the FreeBSD web page. And its a cool page with a cool
> > desing. Maybe OpenBSD should change their own page to a most "visual" web
> > page. ( Its only my opinion ) What do you think?
>
> Last time I checked, you could use eyes to browse the OpenBSD website.
> Why do you consider it non-visual?
>
> Miod

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Christiano F. Haesbaert
On 26 June 2012 18:46, Pablo Velasco Fernández <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi. I was loolong the FreeBSD web page. And its a cool page with a cool
> desing. Maybe OpenBSD should change their own page to a most "visual" web
> page. ( Its only my opinion ) What do you think?

Yeah, FreeBSD webpage is cool, until you need to actually use it, I
always have trouble finding something in it.

OpenBSD web page:

- It's small
- It's simple, just basic HTML, some cgi, nothing fancy, all very easy
to maintain.
- You find anything in less than 1 minute.
- It looks nice, since that is how webpages should look like (IMHO).

If you really wanna improve that, I'd suggest reworking the same
webpage, but making it possible for people with vision impairment to
use it more effectively, I've been told that there are a some ways to
improve it.

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

patrick keshishian
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi. I was loolong the FreeBSD web page. And its a cool page with a cool
> desing. Maybe OpenBSD should change their own page to a most "visual" web
> page. ( Its only my opinion ) What do you think?

I like coconut flavored ice-cream.

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Chris Bennett-11
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:46:36PM +0200, Pablo Velasco Fern?ndez wrote:
> Hi. I was loolong the FreeBSD web page. And its a cool page with a cool
> desing. Maybe OpenBSD should change their own page to a most "visual" web
> page. ( Its only my opinion ) What do you think?

From FAQ:

8.23 - Why do the OpenBSD web pages not conform to HTML4/XHTML?

The present web pages have been carefully crafted to work on a wide
variety of actual browsers going back to browser versions 4.0 and later.
We do not want to make these older pages conform to HTML4 or XHTML until
we're sure that they will also work with older browsers; it's just not a
priority. We welcome new contributors, but suggest you work on writing
code, or on documenting new aspects of the system, not on tweaking the
existing web pages to conform to newer standards.

I often find that I need to access OpenBSD web pages from base console
you get after login.
wget
elinks

I find the actual information much more important than pretty sites.
I am in Texas, all I need to do is look out a window to see pretty
stuff.
(that's a joke. Texas is ugly as hell!)

Chris Bennett

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

David Romano-2
Miod Vallat wrote on Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 02:55:41PM MST:
> Last time I checked, you could use eyes to browse the OpenBSD website.
> Why do you consider it non-visual?
It's non-visual because you can easily parse its HTML, without the cumbersome
use of eyes. The best option, of course, it to infuse Javascript and make the
entire site dynamically-loaded.  Make sure to have the Javascript embedded in
each generated page.  This is the best way to make the webpages much harder to
programmatically parse, and therefore more visual: you'll have to look at the
generated page each time, as every true web user does, to know really what's
going on.

:-P

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Francois Pussault-2

It as to be fonctionnal & easy browse, visual effects & so are just useless
& waste of time

website with animations, gadgets & pop-ups are just shit....

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Bryan Irvine
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi. I was loolong the FreeBSD web page. And its a cool page with a cool
> desing. Maybe OpenBSD should change their own page to a most "visual" web
> page. ( Its only my opinion ) What do you think?

I'm on freebsd page with lynx and don't see what you're talking about.  :)

-B

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Richard Toohey
Quoting Pablo Velasco Fernández <[hidden email]>:

> I mean.. A modern style.
> El 26/06/2012 23:55, "Miod Vallat" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> > > Hi. I was loolong the FreeBSD web page. And its a cool page with a
> cool
> > > desing. Maybe OpenBSD should change their own page to a most
> "visual" web
> > > page. ( Its only my opinion ) What do you think?
> >
> > Last time I checked, you could use eyes to browse the OpenBSD
> website.
> > Why do you consider it non-visual?
> >
> > Miod

I'd prefer the (small) team of developers to work on the code.

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

STeve Andre'
On 06/26/12 17:57, Pablo Velasco Fernández wrote:

> I mean.. A modern style.
> El 26/06/2012 23:55, "Miod Vallat" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>>> Hi. I was loolong the FreeBSD web page. And its a cool page with a cool
>>> desing. Maybe OpenBSD should change their own page to a most "visual" web
>>> page. ( Its only my opinion ) What do you think?
>> Last time I checked, you could use eyes to browse the OpenBSD website.
>> Why do you consider it non-visual?
>>
>> Miod

OK, a modern style.

But why?  Why is it that a web site that does what web sites should
do--convey information--have to be redesigned in order to keep up
with other sites?  I see this all the time, at work where people seem
to think that things like Joomla<cough> are a good thing.  I shouldn't
say just work, as I see it everywhere.

The OpenBSD site is simple and fast.  I keep it in /usr/www which
consumes 291M as of today.

It's a great web site as it is.

--STeve Andre'

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Luis Coronado-3
We could add a few facebook 'i like' buttons here and there and have a
m.openbsd.org for iphones and androis (no openbsd smartphone yet). After
that we could kill lynx from the tree because it will be useless.

-luis

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:59:28PM -0300, Christiano F. Haesbaert wrote:
> If you really wanna improve that, I'd suggest reworking the same
> webpage, but making it possible for people with vision impairment to
> use it more effectively, I've been told that there are a some ways to
> improve it.

God man, people with visual problems just need to use basic tools like
this:

banner `wget http://www.openbsd.org/ -O -`

Problem solved!
 Duh

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Matthew Dempsky-3
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Pablo Velasco Fernández
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I mean.. A modern style.

Honestly, because it's just not a high priority.  The OpenBSD website
is very information dense and its maintained by people who care a lot
about the information being accurate and useful and not as much about
it looking fancy.

That said, I really don't think they're mutually exclusive.  If
someone with good web design skills were to suggest (preferably in
diff form) ways that OpenBSD's website could be improved without
compromising its usefulness to older web browsers or making it any
more difficult to maintain, I don't think anyone's going to argue
against it.

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Matthew Dempsky-3
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd prefer the (small) team of developers to work on the code.

Well, that's a false dichotomy: not all OpenBSD committers work on the
code.  A handful work primarily on maintaining the website and/or
documentation, because that's an important job too.

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Richard Toohey
Quoting Matthew Dempsky <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'd prefer the (small) team of developers to work on the code.
>
> Well, that's a false dichotomy: not all OpenBSD committers work on the
> code. A handful work primarily on maintaining the website and/or
> documentation, because that's an important job too.

Fair enough, I am not a developer, so it was entirely my 2c.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who pop up and offer to do stuff but when the
going gets tough and not much fun, they melt away like snowflakes.  I've seen it
in a number of organisations - lots of ideas, not enough implementers (if
there's such a word.)

I appreciate OpenBSD and the work that goes into it and I would like to
contribute more than I do - but my time is short, and there are other things I'd
like to do more ... choices, choices!

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Chris Cappuccio
Duh, this is OpenBSD. We use

banner `ftp -o - http://www.openbsd.org/`

Keep them laughing half the time, scared of you the other half. And always keep them guessing. -- Clair George

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Alexander Hall
Chris Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:59:28PM -0300, Christiano F. Haesbaert
>wrote:
>> If you really wanna improve that, I'd suggest reworking the same
>> webpage, but making it possible for people with vision impairment to
>> use it more effectively, I've been told that there are a some ways to
>> improve it.
>>

>God man, people with visual problems just need to use basic tools like
>this:
>
>banner `wget http://www.openbsd.org/ -O -`

Bah. wget isn't in base.

>Problem solved!
> Duh

Re: OpenBSD's webpage desing

Alvaro Mantilla Gimenez-4
Why is not possible to apply a new css style to the current site? That has
nothing to do with joomla (and similar) and would keep the site fast and
compatible with, let's say....lynx or whatever browser do you want to try with
the site.

I mean, for me the site is ok but a new css style could be a great thing too.
Same speed, same compatibility, new design.

    - Alvaro

El 26/06/2012, a las 16:25, STeve Andre' escribió:

> On 06/26/12 17:57, Pablo Velasco Fernández wrote:
>> I mean.. A modern style.

web

>>> Last time I checked, you could use eyes to browse the OpenBSD website.
>>> Why do you consider it non-visual?
>>>
>>> Miod
>>

> OK, a modern style.
>
> But why?  Why is it that a web site that does what web sites should
> do--convey information--have to be redesigned in order to keep up
> with other sites?  I see this all the time, at work where people seem
> to think that things like Joomla<cough> are a good thing.  I shouldn't
> say just work, as I see it everywhere.
>
> The OpenBSD site is simple and fast.  I keep it in /usr/www which
> consumes 291M as of today.
>
> It's a great web site as it is.
>
> --STeve Andre'

1234 ... 6