OpenBSD "a la" NanoBSD ?

Xavier Beaudouin
Hi there,

I love OpenBSD, and I really like to set a small OpenBSD distribution on
USB stick to allow make "cheap" OpenBGPd routers.

Is there any project that is officialy supported by OpenBSD team?

Thanks,
/Xavier

Re: OpenBSD "a la" NanoBSD ?

Tomas Bodzar-4
I don't know about any personally, but you can take look here :

http://www.kernel-panic.it/openbsd/embedded/

http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html

Re: OpenBSD "a la" NanoBSD ?

Alexander Hall-3
[hidden email] wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I love OpenBSD, and I really like to set a small OpenBSD distribution on
> USB stick to allow make "cheap" OpenBGPd routers.
>
> Is there any project that is officialy supported by OpenBSD team?

Small won't make it cheaper.

Just do a full normal install on an USB stick. You will have a hard time
to find one that will not have space for the entire os.

Plus firefox.

/Alexander

Re: OpenBSD "a la" NanoBSD ?

Robert Blacquiere-2
Hi

Take a look here http://www.nmedia.net/flashdist/

> Is there any project that is officialy supported by OpenBSD team?

No that i'me aware of, but mistakes happen a lot to me.

Regards

Robert

Re: OpenBSD "a la" NanoBSD ?

Stefan Krah-2
[hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I love OpenBSD, and I really like to set a small OpenBSD distribution on
> USB stick to allow make "cheap" OpenBGPd routers.
>
> Is there any project that is officialy supported by OpenBSD team?

Not sure about "officially supported", but this one is excellent:

http://www.mindrot.org/projects/flashboot/

Stefan Krah

Re: OpenBSD "a la" NanoBSD ?

On 2009-10-16, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I love OpenBSD, and I really like to set a small OpenBSD distribution on
> USB stick to allow make "cheap" OpenBGPd routers.
>
> Is there any project that is officialy supported by OpenBSD team?

There are a few, but not officially supported. The normal distribution
fits in 512MB but things are a bit simpler with 1GB+.

Re: OpenBSD "a la" NanoBSD ?

Ryan McBride-3
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 10:58:53AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> I love OpenBSD, and I really like to set a small OpenBSD distribution on
> USB stick to allow make "cheap" OpenBGPd routers.
>
> Is there any project that is officialy supported by OpenBSD team?

Do the regular OpenBSD install, selecting only the following sets:

bsd
bsd.rd
etc46.tgz
base46.tgz

I think you'd be hard-pressed to a USB stick that won't handle such an
install. The above will fit on a 256MB drive (but it's pretty cozy). 1G
will give you a more pleasant experience for upgrades (stale libraries
etc), and room for some ports and log files.

Re: OpenBSD "a la" NanoBSD ?

Paul de Weerd
Hi Xavier,

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 10:58:53AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
| Hi there,
|
| I love OpenBSD, and I really like to set a small OpenBSD distribution on
| USB stick to allow make "cheap" OpenBGPd routers.
|
| Is there any project that is officialy supported by OpenBSD team?

Yes, it's just called OpenBSD. It installs fine on USB sticks and runs
great (although "disk" access is a tad slower). If your stick is large
enough (no pun intended), it just works. And "large enough" is
probably already the case with a 1GB stick, the smallest I can find
with some effort (ie, two out of three stores I checked don't carry
anything smaller than 2G)

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: OpenBSD "a la" NanoBSD ?

Noah Pugsley
As many have pointed out, nothing special is needed to use a usb flash
drive, just enough size for your install.

For your intended use you may benefit from flashrd.
http://www.nmedia.net/flashrd/

 From the site:
"flashrd is an OpenBSD installer with an eye towards larger flash
devices. The primary targets are USB key, Flash disk module, Compact
Flash adapter, or hard disk.

The flashrd installation is targeted towards infrastructure equipment.
It installs a complete OpenBSD system with "one-touch" upgrade
capability. The system stays mounted read-only during normal operation,
with writes directed towards a memory filesystem, eliminating the need
for frequent disk writes. This greatly reduces the potential for both
boot failure due to a dirty filesystem and for flash corruption from
repeated writes. It boots from a ramdisk to make in-place upgrades easy
and complete."

[hidden email] wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I love OpenBSD, and I really like to set a small OpenBSD distribution on
> USB stick to allow make "cheap" OpenBGPd routers.
>
> Is there any project that is officialy supported by OpenBSD team?
>
> Thanks,
> /Xavier

Re: OpenBSD "a la" NanoBSD ?

KAWAMATA Yoshihiro
Mr. Xavier,

From: <[hidden email]>
Subject: OpenBSD "a la" NanoBSD ?
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:58:53 +0200

> I love OpenBSD, and I really like to set a small OpenBSD distribution on
> USB stick to allow make "cheap" OpenBGPd routers.
>
> Is there any project that is officialy supported by OpenBSD team?

Although not an official OpenBSD distribution,
I have been supplied almost full set OpenBSD LiveCD/LiveUSB system since OpenBSD 3.8 .

http://kaw.ath.cx/openbsd/?en/LiveCD

Called "FuguIta", a blowfish disk (in Japanese).
Current version is FuguIta 4.5, and includes all OpenBSD *45.tgz plus addtional softwares.

This LiveCD/USB can be rebooted/maintained remotely.
So I guess this is also good for an OpenBGPd router.

It will be release FuguIta 4.6 soon.