OpenBSD pxe automated install

Loïc Blot-2
Hello @misc.

Today i'm working on automated deploy with PXE. I have successful found
and made automated PXE install on Debian with pxelinux.

I know OpenBSD have a pxe boot image to netinstall the system
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/openbsd-boot-install-using-pxe-preboot-execution
-environment/

Is there any options to automate the installation ?
I want a machine to boot on bsd.rd, read a configuration file (url
passed by etc/boot.conf, for example) and install with the read
parameters.
Is there any issue to do this or i do it myself ?

Thanks for advance
--
Best regards,
Loïc BLOT,

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Johan Beisser
read the FAQ, Loic.

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#site

Site*.tgz, install.site and upgrade.site are a good starting point.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Loïc BLOT
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello @misc.
>
> Today i'm working on automated deploy with PXE. I have successful found
> and made automated PXE install on Debian with pxelinux.
>
> I know OpenBSD have a pxe boot image to netinstall the system
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/openbsd-boot-install-using-pxe-preboot-execution
> -environment/
>
> Is there any options to automate the installation ?
> I want a machine to boot on bsd.rd, read a configuration file (url
> passed by etc/boot.conf, for example) and install with the read
> parameters.
> Is there any issue to do this or i do it myself ?
>
> Thanks for advance
> --
> Best regards,
> Loïc BLOT,
> UNIX systems, security and network expert
> http://www.unix-experience.fr
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

James A. Peltier
| Site*.tgz, install.site and upgrade.site are a good starting point.
|
| On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Loïc BLOT
| <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > Hello @misc.
| >
| > Today i'm working on automated deploy with PXE. I have successful
| > found
| > and made automated PXE install on Debian with pxelinux.
| >
| > I know OpenBSD have a pxe boot image to netinstall the system
| > http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/openbsd-boot-install-using-pxe-preboot-execution
| > -environment/
| >
| > Is there any options to automate the installation ?
| > I want a machine to boot on bsd.rd, read a configuration file (url
| > passed by etc/boot.conf, for example) and install with the read
| > parameters.
| > Is there any issue to do this or i do it myself ?
| >
| > Thanks for advance
| > --
| > Best regards,
| > Loïc BLOT,
| > UNIX systems, security and network expert
| > http://www.unix-experience.fr
| >
| > [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type
| > application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]

If you are looking for automated partitioning and the like the site.install and site.upgrade don't apply whatsoever.  In order to fully automate the installation you will need to modify the bsd.rd file contents in order to do that.  site.install and site.upgrade can be used to do other things like install packages or upgrade the OS as necessary.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Kenneth R Westerback
On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 08:59:27PM +0200, Lo?c BLOT wrote:

> Hello @misc.
>
> Today i'm working on automated deploy with PXE. I have successful found
> and made automated PXE install on Debian with pxelinux.
>
> I know OpenBSD have a pxe boot image to netinstall the system
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/openbsd-boot-install-using-pxe-preboot-execution
> -environment/
>
> Is there any options to automate the installation ?
> I want a machine to boot on bsd.rd, read a configuration file (url
> passed by etc/boot.conf, for example) and install with the read
> parameters.
> Is there any issue to do this or i do it myself ?
>
> Thanks for advance
> --
> Best regards,
> Lo??c BLOT,
> UNIX systems, security and network expert
> http://www.unix-experience.fr
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]

There is no 'offical' method. If you check the mailing list archives you'll
find a few people have come up with something that works for them.

.... Ken

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Loïc Blot-2
Hello,
thanks for your reply Johan, but this is not why i want. site.tgz
contain a set of preconfigured files to deploy with other sets to deploy
similar machines.

My need is to install a clean OpenBSD with an automated mean:
The server boot in PXE and install OpenBSD, configure network, hostname,
disk, install sets by network and reboots without any human
intervention. After, the server can use siteXX.tgz, yes, but this is not
the main problem here

--

Le lundi 12 août 2013 à 12:09 -0700, Johan Beisser a écrit :

> read the FAQ, Loic.
>
> http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#site
>
> Site*.tgz, install.site and upgrade.site are a good starting point.
>
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Loïc BLOT
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello @misc.
> >
> > Today i'm working on automated deploy with PXE. I have successful found
> > and made automated PXE install on Debian with pxelinux.
> >
> > I know OpenBSD have a pxe boot image to netinstall the system

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/openbsd-boot-install-using-pxe-preboot-execution

> > -environment/
> >
> > Is there any options to automate the installation ?
> > I want a machine to boot on bsd.rd, read a configuration file (url
> > passed by etc/boot.conf, for example) and install with the read
> > parameters.
> > Is there any issue to do this or i do it myself ?
> >
> > Thanks for advance
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Loïc BLOT,
> > UNIX systems, security and network expert
> > http://www.unix-experience.fr
> >
> > [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature
which had a name of signature.asc]

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Johan Beisser
Please read the FAQ entry I sent you, pay close attention to install.site and upgrade.site.

Both of those are scripts that are executed by the installer.

Fully automatic installs have been done, usually by modifying the installer script or root's .profile.

Basically: automatic, unattended installation of openbsd is possible, but you have to build the glue for it.

Sent form my iFoe.

On Aug 12, 2013, at 12:52, Loïc BLOT <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> thanks for your reply Johan, but this is not why i want. site.tgz
> contain a set of preconfigured files to deploy with other sets to deploy
> similar machines.
>
> My need is to install a clean OpenBSD with an automated mean:
> The server boot in PXE and install OpenBSD, configure network, hostname,
> disk, install sets by network and reboots without any human
> intervention. After, the server can use siteXX.tgz, yes, but this is not
> the main problem here
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Loïc BLOT,
> UNIX systems, security and network expert
> http://www.unix-experience.fr
>

> Le lundi 12 août 2013 à 12:09 -0700, Johan Beisser a écrit :
>> read the FAQ, Loic.
>>
>> http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#site
>>
>> Site*.tgz, install.site and upgrade.site are a good starting point.
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Loïc BLOT
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello @misc.
>>>
>>> Today i'm working on automated deploy with PXE. I have successful found
>>> and made automated PXE install on Debian with pxelinux.
>>>
>>> I know OpenBSD have a pxe boot image to netinstall the system
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/openbsd-boot-install-using-pxe-preboot-execution
>>> -environment/
>>>
>>> Is there any options to automate the installation ?
>>> I want a machine to boot on bsd.rd, read a configuration file (url
>>> passed by etc/boot.conf, for example) and install with the read
>>> parameters.
>>> Is there any issue to do this or i do it myself ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for advance
>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Loïc BLOT,
>>> UNIX systems, security and network expert
>>> http://www.unix-experience.fr
>>>
>>> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature
> which had a name of signature.asc]
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Janne Johansson-3
Build your own bsd.rd which feeds precomputed values for disk size and so
on. Not super hard to do.
Den 12 aug 2013 21:44 skrev "Loïc BLOT" <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
> thanks for your reply Johan, but this is not why i want. site.tgz
> contain a set of preconfigured files to deploy with other sets to deploy
> similar machines.
>
> My need is to install a clean OpenBSD with an automated mean:
> The server boot in PXE and install OpenBSD, configure network, hostname,
> disk, install sets by network and reboots without any human
> intervention. After, the server can use siteXX.tgz, yes, but this is not
> the main problem here
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Loïc BLOT,
> UNIX systems, security and network expert
> http://www.unix-experience.fr
>

> Le lundi 12 août 2013 à 12:09 -0700, Johan Beisser a écrit :
> > read the FAQ, Loic.
> >
> > http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#site
> >
> > Site*.tgz, install.site and upgrade.site are a good starting point.
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Loïc BLOT
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hello @misc.
> > >
> > > Today i'm working on automated deploy with PXE. I have successful found
> > > and made automated PXE install on Debian with pxelinux.
> > >
> > > I know OpenBSD have a pxe boot image to netinstall the system

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/openbsd-boot-install-using-pxe-preboot-execution

> > > -environment/
> > >
> > > Is there any options to automate the installation ?
> > > I want a machine to boot on bsd.rd, read a configuration file (url
> > > passed by etc/boot.conf, for example) and install with the read
> > > parameters.
> > > Is there any issue to do this or i do it myself ?
> > >
> > > Thanks for advance
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Loïc BLOT,
> > > UNIX systems, security and network expert
> > > http://www.unix-experience.fr
> > >
> > > [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature
> which had a name of signature.asc]
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature
> which had a name of signature.asc]

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Loïc Blot-2
Sorry if i misunderstood the goal of install.site.
I look at this, more clearly, to see if it's the solution i search.
--

Le lundi 12 août 2013 à 13:07 -0700, Johan Beisser a écrit :
> Please read the FAQ entry I sent you, pay close attention to install.site
and upgrade.site.

> Both of those are scripts that are executed by the installer.
>
> Fully automatic installs have been done, usually by modifying the installer
script or root's .profile.

> Basically: automatic, unattended installation of openbsd is possible, but
you have to build the glue for it.

> Sent form my iFoe.
>
> On Aug 12, 2013, at 12:52, Loïc BLOT <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > thanks for your reply Johan, but this is not why i want. site.tgz
> > contain a set of preconfigured files to deploy with other sets to deploy
> > similar machines.
> >
> > My need is to install a clean OpenBSD with an automated mean:
> > The server boot in PXE and install OpenBSD, configure network, hostname,
> > disk, install sets by network and reboots without any human
> > intervention. After, the server can use siteXX.tgz, yes, but this is not
> > the main problem here
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Loïc BLOT,
> > UNIX systems, security and network expert
> > http://www.unix-experience.fr
> >

> > Le lundi 12 août 2013 à 12:09 -0700, Johan Beisser a écrit :
> >> read the FAQ, Loic.
> >>
> >> http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#site
> >>
> >> Site*.tgz, install.site and upgrade.site are a good starting point.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/openbsd-boot-install-using-pxe-preboot-execution

> > which had a name of signature.asc]
> >
> > [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature
which had a name of signature.asc]

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Francois Pussault-2
like kickstart for devil redhat ?

Cordialement
Francois Pussault
3701 - 8 rue Marcel Pagnol
31100 Toulouse
France
+33 6 17 230 820   +33 5 34 365 269

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Loïc Blot-2
It's exactly that. Kickstart for Redhat and Preseed.cfg for Debian
--

Le lundi 12 août 2013 à 22:20 +0200, Francois Pussault a écrit :

> like kickstart for devil redhat ?

Thanks for the precision James, you confirmed what i have understood.
I will search tomorrow.
--

Le lundi 12 août 2013 à 12:23 -0700, James A. Peltier a écrit :

> [...]

Tito Mari Francis Escano-2
Please read http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#PXE and hope this helps.
You'd have been told with deliberately unpleasant choice of words if next
time you don't research well before asking in the list.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Loïc BLOT
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Thanks for the precision James, you confirmed what i have understood.
> I will search tomorrow.
> --
> Best regards,
> Loïc BLOT,
> UNIX systems, security and network expert
> http://www.unix-experience.fr

Hello Tito,
thanks to give me another time the FAQ, you think i have never read.
This boot process is okay for me but the problem is NOT the PXE boot
process. The problem is to automate the installation.
My OpenBSD pxeboot is chained after a pxelinux which already deserve
automated installed debian. Now the goal is to deserve automated
installed OpenBSD.

I don't know if i don't choose the rights words to explain my need, or
if nobody read all my answers to already answered questions... but i
give a list of precision for future answers:

1. My problem is NOT PXE boot (http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#PXE
=> NO)
2. My problem is NOT siteXX.tgz and customized installations with this
mean (http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#site => NO)
3. What i want is something like this:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed or this
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5
/html/Installation_Guide/ch-kickstart2.html

Then i ask @misc to know if an existing process exists, but now i think
this doesn't exist and i must create a special bsd.rd PXE to do this
(and share it to OpenBSD community, it will be great for deploy OpenBSD
on several machines without doing anything.

Have a nice day :)

--

Le mardi 13 août 2013 à 06:29 +0800, Tito Mari Francis Escaño a écrit :

> Please read http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#PXE and hope this
> helps. You'd have been told with deliberately unpleasant choice of
> words if next time you don't research well before asking in the list.
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Loïc BLOT
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Thanks for the precision James, you confirmed what i have
>         understood.
>         I will search tomorrow.
>         --
>         Best regards,
>         Loïc BLOT,
>         UNIX systems, security and network expert
>         http://www.unix-experience.fr
>

>         Le lundi 12 août 2013 à 12:23 -0700, James A. Peltier a

Jiri B-2
On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 03:31:44PM -0400, Kenneth R Westerback wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 08:59:27PM +0200, Lo?c BLOT wrote:
> > Hello @misc.
> >
> > Today i'm working on automated deploy with PXE. I have successful found
> > and made automated PXE install on Debian with pxelinux.
> >
> There is no 'offical' method. If you check the mailing list archives you'll
> find a few people have come up with something that works for them.

There is an official method but not fully completed I would
say. Check install.sub, it offers couple of variables
and functions which could be overriden by you to have your
own installation (sets, partitioning, console...).

But this is just for installer, for rest one should use
siteXX.tgz, install.site and rc.firsttime.

jirib

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

openbsd-misc
On Aug 12, 2013, at 11:37 PM, Loïc BLOT <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> 3. What i want is something like this:
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed or this

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5
> /html/Installation_Guide/ch-kickstart2.html
>
> Then i ask @misc to know if an existing process exists, but now i think
> this doesn't exist and i must create a special bsd.rd PXE to do this
> (and share it to OpenBSD community, it will be great for deploy OpenBSD
> on several machines without doing anything.

Using the initial version of

‎nbender.com/install.netboot/install.html

I have/had a completely automated OpenBSD install.
I pxeboot this modified bsd.rd, and it discovers/downloads special installer
support via DHCP/etc.

Later, Nick did this:

redux - fully automated OpenBSD installation - hiqu.biz

We failed to get any sort of buy in to this approach into the main
distribution…

Don

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Marian Hettwer
Hi loic,

Sorry for top posting.
I need exactly the same for OpenBSD. Maybe we could work together... In my
example all I need on top of it is some same network config and a first puppet
run after reboot...
But I hesitated to modify bsd.rd...
Maybe it's more wise to create a "netboot.rd" and let bsd.rd alone.

A starting point could be http://www.hiqu.biz/redux

PM me if you have interest to work together with me :-)

Cheers
Marian

--
sent via my mobile C64

had a name of signature.asc]

Am 13.08.2013 um 10:07 schrieb Don Jackson <[hidden email]>:

> Later, Nick did this:
>
> redux - fully automated OpenBSD installation - hiqu.biz
>
> We failed to get any sort of buy in to this approach into the main
> distribution…

This is sad :-/
For any mass deployment I need this... I was okay with doing it semi automated for the first three boxes at work. But nowadays it's 10 boxes and we are going for full automation. Hm hm...

Marian

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Nick Holland
On 08/13/13 07:13, Marian Hettwer wrote:
> This is sad :-/ For any mass deployment I need this... I was okay
> with doing it semi automated for the first three boxes at work. But
> nowadays it's 10 boxes and we are going for full automation. Hm
> hm...
>
> Marian

ten boxes.  Um.
Lets see.  An OpenBSD install takes less than ten minutes (assuming
small file systems.  Yes the newfs step can take a while on big file
systems).  You can also do several installs at the same time.  So you
are trying to save at most 100 minutes.  dang, I'm gonna spend much of
that telling you how to do it.  Sounds like you are about to spend a few
weeks trying to save a few minutes.

Do you think you can write some custom build scripting system in under
two hours?  Do you think you can LEARN a custom building system in under
two hours?  This isn't a long, painful, massively interactive Linux or
Solaris install, your return on investment of time here is not going to
come in 10 boxes.  I doubt it would be there for 100 boxes (if you
include the setup and infrastructure).

Keep in mind, the OpenBSD install process is fairly simple.

1: (assuming appropriate) create fdisk partition.  Most common case can
be done on the command line.

2: disklabel (can be scripted; see softraid(4) man page.  can also use a
pre-defined template file, and "predefined" means "before running
disklabel").

3: newfs all partitions

4: mount 'em somewhere, presumably hanging off /mnt

5: untar all desired file sets

6: record a few key config files (network, machine name, etc.)

6a: might as well add your admin users?

7: MAKEDEV all

8: install boot loader

(I probably forgot something. that was all from early morning memory)

This is all easily scriptable.  So, if you can define your task
appropriately, you can write an install script, stick it in your own
bsd.rd (yes, you will name it something other than bsd.rd) or build a
install kernel which fetches the script from a master install server,
and away you go.

I can't get too excited about this, as your bulk install needs are
probably very different than mine, and the marginal time savings per
machine are going to be small.

Nick.

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Andy Lemin
Hi +1
We need this too!

We need a fully automated OpenBSD install including partitioning etc,
as we need to do installs on sites where an engineer cannot go
(cheaply).

I know the dev work is more than 2 hours.. Obviously.. But their are
tens of thousands of OpenBSD users with /many/ servers each out there
who would use this and collectively could save hundreds and hundreds
and hundreds of hours by being able to have automated deploys.

BUT, that said, looking at the bigger picture.. for the limited OpenBSD
developers I would rather they spent their time on removing the GIANT
kernel lock, and reworking ALTQ and PF to name our worst and most
serious pain points than have them work on stuff that we can easily
'work around'.. :)

Andy

On Tue 13 Aug 2013 12:52:02 BST, Nick Holland wrote:

> On 08/13/13 07:13, Marian Hettwer wrote:
>> This is sad :-/ For any mass deployment I need this... I was okay
>> with doing it semi automated for the first three boxes at work. But
>> nowadays it's 10 boxes and we are going for full automation. Hm
>> hm...
>>
>> Marian
>>

> ten boxes.  Um.
> Lets see.  An OpenBSD install takes less than ten minutes (assuming
> small file systems.  Yes the newfs step can take a while on big file
> systems).  You can also do several installs at the same time.  So you
> are trying to save at most 100 minutes.  dang, I'm gonna spend much of
> that telling you how to do it.  Sounds like you are about to spend a few
> weeks trying to save a few minutes.
>
> Do you think you can write some custom build scripting system in under
> two hours?  Do you think you can LEARN a custom building system in under
> two hours?  This isn't a long, painful, massively interactive Linux or
> Solaris install, your return on investment of time here is not going to
> come in 10 boxes.  I doubt it would be there for 100 boxes (if you
> include the setup and infrastructure).
>

> Keep in mind, the OpenBSD install process is fairly simple.
>
> 1: (assuming appropriate) create fdisk partition.  Most common case can
> be done on the command line.
>
> 2: disklabel (can be scripted; see softraid(4) man page.  can also use a
> pre-defined template file, and "predefined" means "before running
> disklabel").
>
> 3: newfs all partitions
>
> 4: mount 'em somewhere, presumably hanging off /mnt
>
> 5: untar all desired file sets
>
> 6: record a few key config files (network, machine name, etc.)
>
> 6a: might as well add your admin users?
>
> 7: MAKEDEV all
>
> 8: install boot loader
>
> (I probably forgot something. that was all from early morning memory)
>

> This is all easily scriptable.  So, if you can define your task
> appropriately, you can write an install script, stick it in your own
> bsd.rd (yes, you will name it something other than bsd.rd) or build a
> install kernel which fetches the script from a master install server,
> and away you go.
>
> I can't get too excited about this, as your bulk install needs are
> probably very different than mine, and the marginal time savings per
> machine are going to be small.
>
> Nick.

Re: OpenBSD pxe automated install

Zé Loff-2
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 07:52:02AM -0400, Nick Holland wrote:
> Lets see.  An OpenBSD install takes less than ten minutes (assuming
> small file systems.  Yes the newfs step can take a while on big file
> systems).  You can also do several installs at the same time.  So you
> are trying to save at most 100 minutes.  dang, I'm gonna spend much of
> that telling you how to do it.  Sounds like you are about to spend a few
> weeks trying to save a few minutes.

A bit OT, maybe, but couldn't help it:

http://xkcd.com/1205/

(I definitely should look at this chart more often...)