Quantcast

OpenBSD.org

Ruoyu Sun
Hi,

This is my first post here. I recently set up a build server running
OpenBSD. And when I go to OpenBSD.org to dig up some info, I am surprised
to find out that the website is rather "primitive": it lacks design both
from content organization and styling - making it rather unattractive and
difficult to get around.

Is the website deliberately kept like that (for people with text-only
browser)? If not, I could provide some help in revamping the website -
making it modern and user-friendly.

Cheers,
Ruoyu

Re: OpenBSD.org

Ingo Schwarze
Hi Ruoyu,

Ruoyu Sun wrote on Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 12:30:02AM +0800:

> Is the website deliberately kept like that (for people with text-only
> browser)?

It is even more important that it can easily be edited by developers
who are neither web designers nor willing to endure any clicki-bunti
tools, edited by using nothing but a bare-bones ASCII text editor.
For that reason, the constraints are, as far as i understand:

 * extremely simple HTML4 code
 * very sparingly applied CSS
 * no SSI or scripting, except in very few auto-generated pages
 * no content management framework

And it is critically important that diff(1) works perfectly on the
HTML source code.

> If not, I could provide some help in revamping the website -
> making it modern and user-friendly.

In general, the OpenBSD project welcomes help and contributions
in all areas, code as well as documentation.  But you are not
saying in sufficient detail what you think could be improved,
so it's hard to say whether we would consider the specific ideas
you have in mind as helpful.

If you could show with small examplary patches what you intend to
improve, that would probably help to answer your question.

Yours,
  Ingo