OpenBSD on Macbook 12" 2017?

Harald Dunkel-3
Hi folks,

does it work, OpenBSD on a 12" Macbook 2017? I tried Linux once,
but keyboard and trackpad were not working, so I kept MacOS.

Looking on Google I found just Macbook Airs and Pros. Hopefully
I wasn't too blind to see.

Every helpful comment is highly appreciated
Harri

Re: OpenBSD on Macbook 12" 2017?

John M

 > does it work, OpenBSD on a 12" Macbook 2017? I tried Linux once,
 > but keyboard and trackpad were not working, so I kept MacOS.

I'm running a snapshot of OpenBSD on an 8th gen Intel laptop (not a
mac) without issue. I would suggest using dmesg to examine your
hardware requirements and read over the FAQ, especially the networking
section.

https://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html

Re: OpenBSD on Macbook 12" 2017?

joshua stein-3
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 09:18:02 +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> does it work, OpenBSD on a 12" Macbook 2017? I tried Linux once,
> but keyboard and trackpad were not working, so I kept MacOS.

The keyboard and touchpad are connected over SPI now, so they
require a new Intel SPI controller driver and then two custom
drivers for the keyboard and touchpad.

So no, the device does not work on OpenBSD unless you use a USB
keyboard/mouse.

Re: OpenBSD on Macbook 12" 2017?

andrew fabbro
Interesting - I thought SPI was as old as the hills, but I see Intel has an
"enhanced" SPI now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Peripheral_Interface

--
andrew fabbro