OpenBSD on MacBook

Michael Vetter
Hello,

I haven't tried out OpenBSD yet, but used Linux for some years.

Recently I got a Macbook, thought first about installing Linux on it,
but because of different reasons I am considering OpenBSD now.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Would be glad
for any information that would help me accomplish it.
And would be great if the hardware is even supported yet.

Since it is my first install, somebody with experience
whom I can ask for help would be great, however I am aware
that this is probably too much to ask for, and I will be glad for
every piece of information I can get on the subject.

I own the MacBook Pro Retina, mid 2012 version,
which seems to be known as MacBookPro10,1.

regards,
Michael

Re: OpenBSD on MacBook

Zé Loff-2
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 02:54:54AM +0100, Michael Vetter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I haven't tried out OpenBSD yet, but used Linux for some years.
>
> Recently I got a Macbook, thought first about installing Linux on it,
> but because of different reasons I am considering OpenBSD now.
>
> Does anybody have any experience with this? Would be glad
> for any information that would help me accomplish it.
> And would be great if the hardware is even supported yet.
>
> Since it is my first install, somebody with experience
> whom I can ask for help would be great, however I am aware
> that this is probably too much to ask for, and I will be glad for
> every piece of information I can get on the subject.
>
> I own the MacBook Pro Retina, mid 2012 version,
> which seems to be known as MacBookPro10,1.
>
> regards,
> Michael

Can't you just boot it off the OpenBSD installation CD and send a dmesg?
It would help a great deal. Without it we're all pretty much guessing
what's in it.

One thing's for sure: you have the 'dual GPU' model, one of which is a
NVIDIA out of which you won't get any acceleration (the other is an
Intel HD Graphics 4000).

Cheers

Re: OpenBSD on MacBook

Wayne Oliver
On 13 Feb 2014, at 3:54, Michael Vetter <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I haven't tried out OpenBSD yet, but used Linux for some years.
>
> Recently I got a Macbook, thought first about installing Linux on it,
> but because of different reasons I am considering OpenBSD now.
>
> Does anybody have any experience with this? Would be glad
> for any information that would help me accomplish it.
> And would be great if the hardware is even supported yet.
>
> Since it is my first install, somebody with experience
> whom I can ask for help would be great, however I am aware
> that this is probably too much to ask for, and I will be glad for
> every piece of information I can get on the subject.
>
> I own the MacBook Pro Retina, mid 2012 version,
> which seems to be known as MacBookPro10,1.
>
> regards,
> Michael

Not sure about the hardware in your model.
But the biggest issue I had with installing OpenBSD on my Macbook (5,1) was
the wireless adapter.
Blasted BCM43xx, and there is good chance you have the same one.

—
Wayne

Re: OpenBSD on MacBook

Stefan Sperling-8
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 02:17:08PM +0200, Wayne Oliver wrote:
> But the biggest issue I had with installing OpenBSD on my Macbook (5,1) was
> the wireless adapter.
> Blasted BCM43xx, and there is good chance you have the same one.

Unlikely to be supported in the near term, if ever, unfortunately.

No hardware docs, and the BSD-licensed vendor-provided driver[1] in
Linux is a massive unreadable mess of magic numbers the size of OpenBSD's
entire wifi stack (look at phy/phy_n.c for laughs). Which effectively
means only the vendor can maintain this driver without unreasonable effort.

A supported USB wifi stick can be used as a workaround until this
situation improves. Or try swapping out the card inside the laptop
with one that works.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/net/wireless/brcm80211/brcmsmac