OpenBSD on Intel Galileo

Lampshade
Hello
Anybody tried to boot OpenBSD on Intel Galileo board?
Is this possible?
Have a good day

Re: OpenBSD on Intel Galileo

Patrick Wildt-2
Hi,

Yes, it’s kinda possible.  I tried that early 2014 or so. You need to have some kind of EFI-Grub2 on an sdcard iirc. Then you exit the in-built grub, open the EFI shell and have it boot grub2.

Using kopenbsd you can try to load an OpenBSD kernel, but it doesn’t work out of the box.

The serial line is not in the ISA(?) space, but memory mapped somewhere else, so you do not get serial output.  The grub boot options pass the actual address to the linux kernel, so that’s where you can find out which one it is.

After doing a hack to make that work, I got the following output: http://gbpaste.org/Pd5Vv

I fear I do not have the diffs and blobs anymore.

\Patrick

> Am 13.01.2015 um 13:10 schrieb Lampshade <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello
> Anybody tried to boot OpenBSD on Intel Galileo board?
> Is this possible?
> Have a good day

Re: OpenBSD on Intel Galileo

sven falempin
On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 7:53 AM, Patrick Wildt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, it’s kinda possible.  I tried that early 2014 or so. You need to have some kind of EFI-Grub2 on an sdcard iirc. Then you exit the in-built grub, open the EFI shell and have it boot grub2.
>
> Using kopenbsd you can try to load an OpenBSD kernel, but it doesn’t work out of the box.
>
> The serial line is not in the ISA(?) space, but memory mapped somewhere else, so you do not get serial output.  The grub boot options pass the actual address to the linux kernel, so that’s where you can find out which one it is.
>
> After doing a hack to make that work, I got the following output: http://gbpaste.org/Pd5Vv

why not publish the hack , for education purpose ?

> I fear I do not have the diffs and blobs anymore.
>
> \Patrick
>
>> Am 13.01.2015 um 13:10 schrieb Lampshade <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hello
>> Anybody tried to boot OpenBSD on Intel Galileo board?
>> Is this possible?
>> Have a good day

/\

Re: OpenBSD on Intel Galileo

Amit Kulkarni-5
Dude...the reason is given right there, in the message.

why not publish the hack , for education purpose ?

> > I fear I do not have the diffs and blobs anymore.

Re: OpenBSD on Intel Galileo

Christer Solskogen-3
On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Patrick Wildt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After doing a hack to make that work, I got the following output: http://gbpaste.org/Pd5Vv

cpu0: F00F bug workaround installed

Harrharrharr

chs

Re: OpenBSD on Intel Galileo

Patrick Wildt-2
I had the machine I worked on for this was some OpenBSD VM I purged some time ago.

I was grepping through IRC logs and actually found a diff:

#somewhere_20140227.log:[00:23:44] <Bluerise> This is my galileo workaround: http://gbpaste.org/CfG4P

I’m glad I keep logs… Good luck!

On 2015-01-13, Patrick Wildt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, it’s kinda possible.  I tried that early 2014 or so. You need to have some kind of EFI-Grub2 on an sdcard iirc. Then you exit the in-built grub, open the EFI shell and have it boot grub2.
>
> Using kopenbsd you can try to load an OpenBSD kernel, but it doesn’t work out of the box.
>
> The serial line is not in the ISA(?) space, but memory mapped somewhere else, so you do not get serial output.  The grub boot options pass the actual address to the linux kernel, so that’s where you can find out which one it is.
>
> After doing a hack to make that work, I got the following output: http://gbpaste.org/Pd5Vv
>
> I fear I do not have the diffs and blobs anymore.

If you can have grub chain to OpenBSD's boot loader, you can set the port address
with 'machine comaddr'.

Re: OpenBSD on Intel Galileo

Patrick Wildt-2
> Am 14.01.2015 um 09:43 schrieb Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>:
>
> On 2015-01-13, Patrick Wildt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, it’s kinda possible.  I tried that early 2014 or so. You need to have some kind of EFI-Grub2 on an sdcard iirc. Then you exit the in-built grub, open the EFI shell and have it boot grub2.
>>
>> Using kopenbsd you can try to load an OpenBSD kernel, but it doesn’t work out of the box.
>>
>> The serial line is not in the ISA(?) space, but memory mapped somewhere else, so you do not get serial output.  The grub boot options pass the actual address to the linux kernel, so that’s where you can find out which one it is.
>>
>> After doing a hack to make that work, I got the following output: http://gbpaste.org/Pd5Vv
>>
>> I fear I do not have the diffs and blobs anymore.
>
> If you can have grub chain to OpenBSD's boot loader, you can set the port address
> with 'machine comaddr'.

Yes, that is right. But it does not fix two other issues.

First, you need I386_BUS_SPACE_MEM instead of I386_BUS_SPACE_IO.  The console is memory mapped and not accessible via outb/inb.

Second, registers need to be accessed in 4x space mode. Means, the register you want to access has to be multiplied by 4 before accessing it.

All those issues are caused by the console being connected via PCI (puc(4)) as far as I can see.