OpenBSD on EC2/Amazon

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OpenBSD on EC2/Amazon

Fernando Quintero
Hi all,

I have a question:

?Is anyone working to make possible run OpenBSD on Amazon EC2?

now, It is possible to run NetBSD and FreeBSD, but I can not find much
information about the progress of OpenBSD on this topic.

Thanks in advanced.

--


--------------
Fernando Quintero
http://nonroot.blogspot.com/
Just a nonroot User

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD on EC2/Amazon

Timmy L Steve
+1

Would be nice to drop my linux ami.

tls

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question:
>
> ?Is anyone working to make possible run OpenBSD on Amazon EC2?
>
> now, It is possible to run NetBSD and FreeBSD, but I can not find much
> information about the progress of OpenBSD on this topic.
>
> Thanks in advanced.
>
> --
>
>
> --------------
> Fernando Quintero
> http://nonroot.blogspot.com/
> Just a nonroot User

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD on EC2/Amazon

Otto Moerbeek
In reply to this post by Fernando Quintero
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:42:30AM -0500, Fernando Quintero wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question:
>
> ?Is anyone working to make possible run OpenBSD on Amazon EC2?
>
> now, It is possible to run NetBSD and FreeBSD, but I can not find much
> information about the progress of OpenBSD on this topic.
>
> Thanks in advanced.

I don't think anybody is working on this.

But there are several VPS companies around (arpnetworks.com is one)
that are OpenBSD friendly.

*If* I want to run a VPS, I rather give my money to a small compmay
that some behemoth.

But note that virtual systems have many drawbacks. Most importantly,
the security of OpenBSD (or any system run on a virtual system) is
bounded by the security of the VM implementation. It's another layer
that could cause security problems.

        -Otto

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD on EC2/Amazon

C. Bensend
> But there are several VPS companies around (arpnetworks.com is one)
> that are OpenBSD friendly.
>
> *If* I want to run a VPS, I rather give my money to a small compmay
> that some behemoth.

+1.

ARP Networks is a great group of guys, they've been fantastic the
few times I've needed them to do something (most of the time, just
swapping the ISO image attached to my VPS).

Benny


--
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it's very hard to
verify their authenticity."       -- Abraham Lincoln

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD on EC2/Amazon

Wesley MOUEDINE ASSABY
BSDVM.COM is also great.

Cheers,

--
Wesley

Le 2012-04-25 16:01, C. Bensend a C)critB :

>> But there are several VPS companies around (arpnetworks.com is one)
>> that are OpenBSD friendly.
>>
>> *If* I want to run a VPS, I rather give my money to a small compmay
>> that some behemoth.
>
> +1.
>
> ARP Networks is a great group of guys, they've been fantastic the
> few times I've needed them to do something (most of the time, just
> swapping the ISO image attached to my VPS).
>
> Benny

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD on EC2/Amazon

Tyler Morgan
In reply to this post by Otto Moerbeek
On 4/25/2012 1:55 AM, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:42:30AM -0500, Fernando Quintero wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a question:
>>
>> ?Is anyone working to make possible run OpenBSD on Amazon EC2?
>>
>> now, It is possible to run NetBSD and FreeBSD, but I can not find much
>> information about the progress of OpenBSD on this topic.
>>
>> Thanks in advanced.
> I don't think anybody is working on this.
>
> But there are several VPS companies around (arpnetworks.com is one)
> that are OpenBSD friendly.
>
> *If* I want to run a VPS, I rather give my money to a small compmay
> that some behemoth.
>
> But note that virtual systems have many drawbacks. Most importantly,
> the security of OpenBSD (or any system run on a virtual system) is
> bounded by the security of the VM implementation. It's another layer
> that could cause security problems.
>
> -Otto
>

Couldn't be timed better, VMWare confirms ESX source code leak:

http://blogs.vmware.com/security/2012/04/vmware-security-note.html

I'm sure hypervisor->guest VM exploits exist already, and hopefully this
will lead to more, because it is nearly unaddressed in all the virtual
computing I work with.

--

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD on EC2/Amazon

Otto Moerbeek
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 04:26:06PM -0700, Tyler Morgan wrote:

> On 4/25/2012 1:55 AM, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:42:30AM -0500, Fernando Quintero wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>I have a question:
> >>
> >>?Is anyone working to make possible run OpenBSD on Amazon EC2?
> >>
> >>now, It is possible to run NetBSD and FreeBSD, but I can not find much
> >>information about the progress of OpenBSD on this topic.
> >>
> >>Thanks in advanced.
> >I don't think anybody is working on this.
> >
> >But there are several VPS companies around (arpnetworks.com is one)
> >that are OpenBSD friendly.
> >
> >*If* I want to run a VPS, I rather give my money to a small compmay
> >that some behemoth.
> >
> >But note that virtual systems have many drawbacks. Most importantly,
> >the security of OpenBSD (or any system run on a virtual system) is
> >bounded by the security of the VM implementation. It's another layer
> >that could cause security problems.
> >
> > -Otto
> >
>
> Couldn't be timed better, VMWare confirms ESX source code leak:
>
> http://blogs.vmware.com/security/2012/04/vmware-security-note.html
>
> I'm sure hypervisor->guest VM exploits exist already, and hopefully
> this will lead to more, because it is nearly unaddressed in all the
> virtual computing I work with.
>
> --

In an ideal world, availability of source code should not matter.

Most interesting exploits are probably guest1 -> hypervisor (and then
-> guest2).

I refuse to believe that the glued on hardware suppport for
virtulization on modern i386/amd64 processors have a real value wrt
security. This kind of thing can only be done right if it's done from
the start when designing the processor architecture.

        -Otto

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD on EC2/Amazon

Fernando Quintero
In reply to this post by Fernando Quintero
Hi!

Thanks all you for the answers.

Cheers,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Fernando Quintero <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question:
>
> ?Is anyone working to make possible run OpenBSD on Amazon EC2?
>
> now, It is possible to run NetBSD and FreeBSD, but I can not find much
> information about the progress of OpenBSD on this topic.
>
> Thanks in advanced.
>
> --
>
>
> --------------
> Fernando Quintero
> http://nonroot.blogspot.com/
> Just a nonroot User
>



--


--------------
Fernando Quintero
http://nonroot.blogspot.com/
Just a nonroot User

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD on EC2/Amazon

SJP Lists
In reply to this post by Otto Moerbeek
On 26 April 2012 17:56, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> In an ideal world, availability of source code should not matter.
>
> Most interesting exploits are probably guest1 -> hypervisor (and then
> -> guest2).
>
> I refuse to believe that the glued on hardware suppport for
> virtulization on modern i386/amd64 processors have a real value wrt
> security. This kind of thing can only be done right if it's done from
> the start when designing the processor architecture.

Yes that's what I'm nervous about.  Guest->Guest and
Guest->Hypervisor(->Guest).  Especially after Tavis Ormandy's paper
from a while back...

http://taviso.decsystem.org/virtsec.pdf


And now, we have things like Vasto and vulnerabilities that have
enabled the download of VM's to "steal the cloud".


Shane