OpenBSD official media

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OpenBSD official media

Lin, Shih-Min
Hi all -

I just ordered OpenBSD 3.8 CDROM recently, which hopefully would
 arrive next week. Here I've got a minor question: are you thinking
 of releasing OpenBSD official "DVD" rather than "CDROM" in future?
 I personally prefer one single disk than multiple disks...

Best regards,
Sam

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD official media

Marco Peereboom
You mean because hppa, mac68k, m88k and sparc, just to name a few, have
outstanding DVD devices available.

Come on now, THINK before typing.

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 05:03:20PM +1300, Lin, Shih-Min wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> I just ordered OpenBSD 3.8 CDROM recently, which hopefully would
>  arrive next week. Here I've got a minor question: are you thinking
>  of releasing OpenBSD official "DVD" rather than "CDROM" in future?
>  I personally prefer one single disk than multiple disks...
>
> Best regards,
> Sam

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD official media

J.C. Roberts-2
On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 23:35:14 -0600, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>You mean because hppa, mac68k, m88k and sparc, just to name a few, have
>outstanding DVD devices available.

Marco, now that's very unlike you -You left out the most important part
of the punch line; "phear my 1337 DVD-booting vaxen"

;-)

JCR

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD official media

Andrew Daugherity
In reply to this post by Marco Peereboom
On 11/5/05, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You mean because hppa, mac68k, m88k and sparc, just to name a few, have
> outstanding DVD devices available.
>
> Come on now, THINK before typing.

Of those, only sparc is currently shipping on CD.  If you can find a
SCSI DVD-ROM drive (they do exist), you should* be able to boot from
it.  Sun does ship Solaris on DVD since Solaris 8, after all.

* Of course, vendor brain-damage could always interfere with your
plans, so I guarantee nothing.

-A

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD official media

JR Dalrymple
Andrew Daugherity wrote:

>On 11/5/05, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>
>>You mean because hppa, mac68k, m88k and sparc, just to name a few, have
>>outstanding DVD devices available.
>>
>>Come on now, THINK before typing.
>>    
>>
>
>Of those, only sparc is currently shipping on CD.  If you can find a
>SCSI DVD-ROM drive (they do exist), you should* be able to boot from
>it.  Sun does ship Solaris on DVD since Solaris 8, after all.
>
>* Of course, vendor brain-damage could always interfere with your
>plans, so I guarantee nothing.
>
>-A
>
>  
>
Track 2 on the 2nd CD is an audio track.

Also, as someone so cleverly put before me, Marco missed Vax, which is
on the CD media.

Beyond all that, I honestly don't have any problem whatsoever with
multiple disks. If *you* need a single disk layout, make your own by
copying what you need off the 3 disks. That's not difficult.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD official media

Martin Schröder
On 2005-11-07 21:54:30 -0900, JR Dalrymple wrote:
> Track 2 on the 2nd CD is an audio track.

Which is the main problem. :-)

> Also, as someone so cleverly put before me, Marco missed Vax, which is
> on the CD media.

Excuse me, but how many vaxen where shipped with CD-ROMs?

Best
    Martin (who doesn't have a problem with the current media)
--
                    http://www.tm.oneiros.de

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD official media

J.C. Roberts-2
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:48:30 +0100, Martin Schrvder <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>On 2005-11-07 21:54:30 -0900, JR Dalrymple wrote:
>> Track 2 on the 2nd CD is an audio track.
>
>Which is the main problem. :-)
>
>> Also, as someone so cleverly put before me, Marco missed Vax, which is
>> on the CD media.
>
>Excuse me, but how many vaxen where shipped with CD-ROMs?
>
>Best
>    Martin (who doesn't have a problem with the current media)

I've got eight 4000-90's here and none of them have factory CD-ROM
drives but then again, the drives could be added. CD-ROM drives were an
option but I can't remember ever actually seeing a vax factory equipped
with one.

JCR

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD official media

Henning Brauer
In reply to this post by Marco Peereboom
* Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> [2005-11-06 06:40]:
> You mean because hppa, mac68k, m88k and sparc, just to name a few, have
> outstanding DVD devices available.

of those only sparc is on the CDs.

> Come on now, THINK before typing.

yes, please do.

--
BS Web Services, http://www.bsws.de/
OpenBSD-based Webhosting, Mail Services, Managed Servers, ...
Unix is very simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity.
(Dennis Ritchie)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD official media

Martin Schröder
In reply to this post by J.C. Roberts-2
On 2005-11-08 22:19:55 -0800, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:48:30 +0100, Martin Schrvder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Excuse me, but how many vaxen where shipped with CD-ROMs?
>
> I've got eight 4000-90's here and none of them have factory CD-ROM
> drives but then again, the drives could be added. CD-ROM drives were an
> option but I can't remember ever actually seeing a vax factory equipped
> with one.

This is getting OT, but just for interest: can vaxen handle
SCSI-DVD-ROM drives without problems?

Best
    Martin
--
                    http://www.tm.oneiros.de

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD official media

Martin Reindl
Martin Schrvder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2005-11-08 22:19:55 -0800, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:48:30 +0100, Martin Schrvder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >Excuse me, but how many vaxen where shipped with CD-ROMs?
> >
> > I've got eight 4000-90's here and none of them have factory CD-ROM
> > drives but then again, the drives could be added. CD-ROM drives were an
> > option but I can't remember ever actually seeing a vax factory equipped
> > with one.
>
> This is getting OT, but just for interest: can vaxen handle
> SCSI-DVD-ROM drives without problems?

Why shouldn't they. Attachment is via cd(4), as usual.

Martin