OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Daniel Jakots-6
Hi,

We decided to email each maintainer to verify OpenBSD port maintainers
can be reached and wish to remain active. I'm going to send these
emails over the next few days.


So don't be surprised when you'll receive yours :)


Cheers,
Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Tracey Emery
On April 30, 2019 3:50:24 PM MDT, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We decided to email each maintainer to verify OpenBSD port maintainers
>can be reached and wish to remain active. I'm going to send these
>emails over the next few days.
>
>
>So don't be surprised when you'll receive yours :)
>
>
>Cheers,
>Daniel

I won't. Lol
--
Tracey Emery
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Tracey Emery
On April 30, 2019 8:09:02 PM MDT, Tracey Emery <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On April 30, 2019 3:50:24 PM MDT, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>We decided to email each maintainer to verify OpenBSD port maintainers
>>can be reached and wish to remain active. I'm going to send these
>>emails over the next few days.
>>
>>
>>So don't be surprised when you'll receive yours :)
>>
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Daniel
>
>I won't. Lol
>--
>Tracey Emery

Sorry, drinking. Disregard. Too fun not to reply! ;)
--
Tracey Emery
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Daniel Jakots-6
In reply to this post by Daniel Jakots-6
On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:50:24 -0400, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We decided to email each maintainer to verify OpenBSD port maintainers
> can be reached and wish to remain active. I'm going to send these
> emails over the next few days.

All emails should have been sent. I replied to all the answers I got so
far so if you didn't get any reply from me, please consider I didn't get
your pong.

And please answer no matter what you believe as in "danj knows I'm
active". Let's assume I don't, so I can cross your name out.

Thanks,
Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Daniel Jakots-6
On Fri, 10 May 2019 13:04:35 -0400, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:50:24 -0400, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > We decided to email each maintainer to verify OpenBSD port
> > maintainers can be reached and wish to remain active. I'm going to
> > send these emails over the next few days.  
>
> All emails should have been sent. I replied to all the answers I got
> so far so if you didn't get any reply from me, please consider I
> didn't get your pong.
>
> And please answer no matter what you believe as in "danj knows I'm
> active". Let's assume I don't, so I can cross your name out.

So here's the name of the maintainers I didn't hear of (it's prefixed
with the date when their email was sent):

2019/05/01 mike larkin
2019/05/01 jasper lievisse adriaanse
2019/05/01 aaron bieber
2019/05/01 masao uebayashi
2019/05/01 jakob schlyter
2019/05/01 vadim zhukov
2019/05/01 nicholas marriott
2019/05/01 joel sing
2019/05/01 can erkin acar
2019/05/01 job snijders
2019/05/01 jonathan armani
2019/05/01 todd t. fries
2019/05/02 amaury gauthier
2019/05/02 alexander shiryaev
2019/05/02 amarendra godbole
2019/05/02 alex feinberg
2019/05/02 andrew aldridge
2019/05/03 david schaefer
2019/05/03 diego casati
2019/05/03 david carlier
2019/05/03 douglas william thrift
2019/05/03 edward
2019/05/03 genadijus paleckis
2019/05/03 gallon sylvestre
2019/05/03 helen koike
2019/05/03 holger mauermann
2019/05/03 hermann gottschalk
2019/05/05 kevin wondratsch
2019/05/05 jung lee
2019/05/05 james e keenan
2019/05/05 johan fredin
2019/05/05 james wright
2019/05/05 kristaps dzonsons
2019/05/05 jason meltzer
2019/05/05 jon olsson
2019/05/05 jeff rhyason
2019/05/05 ibrahim khalifa
2019/05/05 josh rivel
2019/05/05 jeff bachtel
2019/05/06 nick nauwelaerts
2019/05/06 michael paddon
2019/05/06 matthias pitzl
2019/05/06 michael reed
2019/05/06 matteo cantoni
2019/05/06 mathieu sauve-frankel
2019/05/06 laurent moccellin
2019/05/06 michael knudsen
2019/05/06 mario lang
2019/05/06 marius eriksen
2019/05/06 ljuba nedeljkovic
2019/05/06 lazaros koromilas
2019/05/07 patrick keshishian
2019/05/07 patrick wildt
2019/05/07 patsy
2019/05/07 patrikas kugrinas
2019/05/07 pete fritchman
2019/05/08 roman kravchuk
2019/05/08 suzuki hitoshi
2019/05/08 thomas wood
2019/05/08 rene maroufi
2019/05/08 romain gaillegue
2019/05/10 vladimir tamara patino
2019/05/10 vlad glagolev
2019/05/10 vladimir popov
2019/05/10 wen heping
2019/05/10 yasuoka masahiko
2019/05/10 wolfgang rupprecht


How do we proceed from here?

Cheers,
Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Kirill Bychkov
On Sun, June 2, 2019 17:45, Daniel Jakots wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 2019 13:04:35 -0400, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:50:24 -0400, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > We decided to email each maintainer to verify OpenBSD port
>> > maintainers can be reached and wish to remain active. I'm going to
>> > send these emails over the next few days.
>>
>> All emails should have been sent. I replied to all the answers I got
>> so far so if you didn't get any reply from me, please consider I
>> didn't get your pong.
>>
>> And please answer no matter what you believe as in "danj knows I'm
>> active". Let's assume I don't, so I can cross your name out.
>
> So here's the name of the maintainers I didn't hear of (it's prefixed
> with the date when their email was sent):
>
> 2019/05/01 mike larkin
> 2019/05/01 jasper lievisse adriaanse
> 2019/05/01 aaron bieber
> 2019/05/01 masao uebayashi
> 2019/05/01 jakob schlyter
> 2019/05/01 vadim zhukov
> 2019/05/01 nicholas marriott
> 2019/05/01 joel sing
> 2019/05/01 can erkin acar
> 2019/05/01 job snijders
> 2019/05/01 jonathan armani
> 2019/05/01 todd t. fries
> 2019/05/02 amaury gauthier
> 2019/05/02 alexander shiryaev
> 2019/05/02 amarendra godbole
> 2019/05/02 alex feinberg
> 2019/05/02 andrew aldridge
> 2019/05/03 david schaefer
> 2019/05/03 diego casati
> 2019/05/03 david carlier
> 2019/05/03 douglas william thrift
> 2019/05/03 edward
> 2019/05/03 genadijus paleckis
> 2019/05/03 gallon sylvestre
> 2019/05/03 helen koike
> 2019/05/03 holger mauermann
> 2019/05/03 hermann gottschalk
> 2019/05/05 kevin wondratsch
> 2019/05/05 jung lee
> 2019/05/05 james e keenan
> 2019/05/05 johan fredin
> 2019/05/05 james wright
> 2019/05/05 kristaps dzonsons
> 2019/05/05 jason meltzer
> 2019/05/05 jon olsson
> 2019/05/05 jeff rhyason
> 2019/05/05 ibrahim khalifa
> 2019/05/05 josh rivel
> 2019/05/05 jeff bachtel
> 2019/05/06 nick nauwelaerts
> 2019/05/06 michael paddon
> 2019/05/06 matthias pitzl
> 2019/05/06 michael reed
> 2019/05/06 matteo cantoni
> 2019/05/06 mathieu sauve-frankel
> 2019/05/06 laurent moccellin
> 2019/05/06 michael knudsen
> 2019/05/06 mario lang
> 2019/05/06 marius eriksen
> 2019/05/06 ljuba nedeljkovic
> 2019/05/06 lazaros koromilas
> 2019/05/07 patrick keshishian
> 2019/05/07 patrick wildt
> 2019/05/07 patsy
> 2019/05/07 patrikas kugrinas
> 2019/05/07 pete fritchman
> 2019/05/08 roman kravchuk
> 2019/05/08 suzuki hitoshi
> 2019/05/08 thomas wood
> 2019/05/08 rene maroufi
> 2019/05/08 romain gaillegue
> 2019/05/10 vladimir tamara patino
> 2019/05/10 vlad glagolev
> 2019/05/10 vladimir popov
> 2019/05/10 wen heping
> 2019/05/10 yasuoka masahiko
> 2019/05/10 wolfgang rupprecht
>
>
> How do we proceed from here?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
>

I guess that first of all you sould proceed your maillogs and find out
did all of te mentioned maintainers recieved their "ping".
I really doubt most of the listed developers are being ignorant.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Daniel Jakots-6
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 00:12:33 +0300, "Kirill Bychkov"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess that first of all you sould proceed your maillogs and find out
> did all of te mentioned maintainers recieved their "ping".
> I really doubt most of the listed developers are being ignorant.

I'm sorry to break your optimism ;)

The emails which bounced (either directly because a 5xx error or
through, first a 4xx temporary error and then when the envelop expired)
have already been dealt with. My commits explicitly said so when it
was the case.

Here's my mail log for the maintainers without answer. It's just a
grep (for which I cleaned unrelated matches), so for some there are
some errors because of IPv6 but then you should see a 250 with ipv4.

I'm not sure how safe it is to give email addresses on a publicly
archived mailing list so you'll need javascript to see them:
https://p.chown.me/?785bfeab9440d792#BVCp5cxDYwCsI1kmXUt3vgFDRBD2iAo9QwTcC4pC7hc=

(I can mail it as an attachment in a private email if needed).

Cheers,
Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Otto Moerbeek
In reply to this post by Kirill Bychkov
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 12:12:33AM +0300, Kirill Bychkov wrote:

> On Sun, June 2, 2019 17:45, Daniel Jakots wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 May 2019 13:04:35 -0400, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:50:24 -0400, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> > We decided to email each maintainer to verify OpenBSD port
> >> > maintainers can be reached and wish to remain active. I'm going to
> >> > send these emails over the next few days.
> >>
> >> All emails should have been sent. I replied to all the answers I got
> >> so far so if you didn't get any reply from me, please consider I
> >> didn't get your pong.
> >>
> >> And please answer no matter what you believe as in "danj knows I'm
> >> active". Let's assume I don't, so I can cross your name out.
> >
> > So here's the name of the maintainers I didn't hear of (it's prefixed
> > with the date when their email was sent):
> >
> > 2019/05/01 mike larkin
> > 2019/05/01 jasper lievisse adriaanse
> > 2019/05/01 aaron bieber
> > 2019/05/01 masao uebayashi
> > 2019/05/01 jakob schlyter
> > 2019/05/01 vadim zhukov
> > 2019/05/01 nicholas marriott
> > 2019/05/01 joel sing
> > 2019/05/01 can erkin acar
> > 2019/05/01 job snijders
> > 2019/05/01 jonathan armani
> > 2019/05/01 todd t. fries
> > 2019/05/02 amaury gauthier
> > 2019/05/02 alexander shiryaev
> > 2019/05/02 amarendra godbole
> > 2019/05/02 alex feinberg
> > 2019/05/02 andrew aldridge
> > 2019/05/03 david schaefer
> > 2019/05/03 diego casati
> > 2019/05/03 david carlier
> > 2019/05/03 douglas william thrift
> > 2019/05/03 edward
> > 2019/05/03 genadijus paleckis
> > 2019/05/03 gallon sylvestre
> > 2019/05/03 helen koike
> > 2019/05/03 holger mauermann
> > 2019/05/03 hermann gottschalk
> > 2019/05/05 kevin wondratsch
> > 2019/05/05 jung lee
> > 2019/05/05 james e keenan
> > 2019/05/05 johan fredin
> > 2019/05/05 james wright
> > 2019/05/05 kristaps dzonsons
> > 2019/05/05 jason meltzer
> > 2019/05/05 jon olsson
> > 2019/05/05 jeff rhyason
> > 2019/05/05 ibrahim khalifa
> > 2019/05/05 josh rivel
> > 2019/05/05 jeff bachtel
> > 2019/05/06 nick nauwelaerts
> > 2019/05/06 michael paddon
> > 2019/05/06 matthias pitzl
> > 2019/05/06 michael reed
> > 2019/05/06 matteo cantoni
> > 2019/05/06 mathieu sauve-frankel
> > 2019/05/06 laurent moccellin
> > 2019/05/06 michael knudsen
> > 2019/05/06 mario lang
> > 2019/05/06 marius eriksen
> > 2019/05/06 ljuba nedeljkovic
> > 2019/05/06 lazaros koromilas
> > 2019/05/07 patrick keshishian
> > 2019/05/07 patrick wildt
> > 2019/05/07 patsy
> > 2019/05/07 patrikas kugrinas
> > 2019/05/07 pete fritchman
> > 2019/05/08 roman kravchuk
> > 2019/05/08 suzuki hitoshi
> > 2019/05/08 thomas wood
> > 2019/05/08 rene maroufi
> > 2019/05/08 romain gaillegue
> > 2019/05/10 vladimir tamara patino
> > 2019/05/10 vlad glagolev
> > 2019/05/10 vladimir popov
> > 2019/05/10 wen heping
> > 2019/05/10 yasuoka masahiko
> > 2019/05/10 wolfgang rupprecht
> >
> >
> > How do we proceed from here?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel
> >
> >
>
> I guess that first of all you sould proceed your maillogs and find out
> did all of te mentioned maintainers recieved their "ping".
> I really doubt most of the listed developers are being ignorant.
>

Please list the email addresses as well. There's a chance they are
outdated and people never received the mail.

        -Otto

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Stuart Henderson
In reply to this post by Daniel Jakots-6
On 2019/06/02 10:45, Daniel Jakots wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 2019 13:04:35 -0400, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:50:24 -0400, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > We decided to email each maintainer to verify OpenBSD port
> > > maintainers can be reached and wish to remain active. I'm going to
> > > send these emails over the next few days.  
> >
> > All emails should have been sent. I replied to all the answers I got
> > so far so if you didn't get any reply from me, please consider I
> > didn't get your pong.
> >
> > And please answer no matter what you believe as in "danj knows I'm
> > active". Let's assume I don't, so I can cross your name out.
>
> So here's the name of the maintainers I didn't hear of (it's prefixed
> with the date when their email was sent):
>
...

Annoying as some of those people I would really have expected to reply if
they received it (unless they are just being obtuse which doesn't help
anyone..), and of course there are others who are exactly the ones
that we need to get dropped because waiting for unresponsive maintainers
to reply to emails about their ports is a real waste of time for ports
submitters and committers.

So it's hard to say whether the mails got spam-filtered or just ignored.

I've reformatted the list alphabetically :

aaron bieber alex feinberg alexander shiryaev
amarendra godbole amaury gauthier andrew aldridge
can erkin acar david carlier david schaefer
diego casati douglas william thrift edward
gallon sylvestre genadijus paleckis helen koike
hermann gottschalk holger mauermann ibrahim khalifa
jakob schlyter james e keenan james wright
jason meltzer jasper lievisse adriaanse jeff bachtel
jeff rhyason job snijders joel sing
johan fredin jon olsson jonathan armani
josh rivel jung lee kevin wondratsch
kristaps dzonsons laurent moccellin lazaros koromilas
ljuba nedeljkovic mario lang marius eriksen
masao uebayashi mathieu sauve-frankel matteo cantoni
matthias pitzl michael knudsen michael paddon
michael reed mike larkin nicholas marriott
nick nauwelaerts patrick keshishian patrick wildt
patrikas kugrinas patsy pete fritchman
rene maroufi romain gaillegue roman kravchuk
suzuki hitoshi thomas wood todd t. fries
vadim zhukov vlad glagolev vladimir popov
vladimir tamara patino wen heping wolfgang rupprecht
yasuoka masahiko

> How do we proceed from here?

I would keep the ones from reasonably active committers as-is
(abieber jasper job jsing mlarkin nicm patrick yasuoka) and drop the
others unless they reply to this mail to say that they're still around
and interested.

Easy to add others back in if they later decide they do want to continue
to maintain the ports but we need to draw a line somewhere.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Daniel Jakots-6
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 22:59:20 +0100, Stuart Henderson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Annoying as some of those people I would really have expected to
> reply if they received it (unless they are just being obtuse which
> doesn't help anyone..), and of course there are others who are
> exactly the ones that we need to get dropped because waiting for
> unresponsive maintainers to reply to emails about their ports is a
> real waste of time for ports submitters and committers.
>
> So it's hard to say whether the mails got spam-filtered or just
> ignored.

I would be surprised if it was spam. I'm aware of only 4 problems, 3 of
them were because my spf was initially hard fail and it was sent to
@openbsd.org addresses. I quickly changed my spf to soft fail and sent
the two that were never delivered. Another developer had the same
problem but I didn't get any bounce in this case and the developer
found the mail in the spam.
The fourth one is a user that said it was in the spam and it was after
my spf change so I don't know which caused it.

Some people mailed me after I posted the list here and no one said
it was in their spam.

iirc I changed my spf before I sent emails to any non @openbsd.org
address so I doubt it could have caused any problem. (Always dog
food stuff :)).

> I've reformatted the list alphabetically :

Here's the updated one:

aaron bieber alex feinberg alexander shiryaev
amarendra godbole amaury gauthier andrew aldridge
can erkin acar david schaefer diego casati
douglas william thrift edward gallon sylvestre
genadijus paleckis helen koike hermann gottschalk
holger mauermann ibrahim khalifa jakob schlyter
james e keenan james wright jason meltzer
jasper lievisse adriaanse jeff bachtel jeff rhyason
joel sing johan fredin jon olsson
jonathan armani josh rivel jung lee
kevin wondratsch laurent moccellin lazaros koromilas
ljuba nedeljkovic mario lang marius eriksen
masao uebayashi mathieu sauve-frankel matteo cantoni
matthias pitzl michael knudsen michael paddon
michael reed mike larkin nicholas marriott
nick nauwelaerts patrick keshishian patrick wildt
patrikas kugrinas patsy pete fritchman
rene maroufi romain gaillegue roman kravchuk
suzuki hitoshi thomas wood todd t. fries
vadim zhukov vlad glagolev vladimir popov
vladimir tamara patino wolfgang rupprecht yasuoka masahiko

 
> > How do we proceed from here?  
>
> I would keep the ones from reasonably active committers as-is
> (abieber jasper job jsing mlarkin nicm patrick yasuoka) and drop the
> others unless they reply to this mail to say that they're still around
> and interested.
>
> Easy to add others back in if they later decide they do want to
> continue to maintain the ports but we need to draw a line somewhere.

Sure, I'll provide a list of maintainers/ports to be cleaned for
review.

Thanks!
Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Renaud Allard-2


On 6/6/19 12:54 AM, Daniel Jakots wrote:
>
> Some people mailed me after I posted the list here and no one said
> it was in their spam.

If people receive a lot of mails and receive that one from an "unknown"
email address (understand non @openbsd.org), and the mail looks like
some kind of phishing attempt, they may have deleted it on sight. I was
also reluctant at answering because I didn't know the mail address from
the sender.
Next time, I think it might be interesting to send it from an
@openbsd.org mail address. Of course, from the official servers with
SPF/DKIM, etc set up correctly.


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Stuart Henderson
On 2019/06/06 07:47, Renaud Allard wrote:

>
>
> On 6/6/19 12:54 AM, Daniel Jakots wrote:
> >
> > Some people mailed me after I posted the list here and no one said
> > it was in their spam.
>
> If people receive a lot of mails and receive that one from an "unknown"
> email address (understand non @openbsd.org), and the mail looks like some
> kind of phishing attempt, they may have deleted it on sight. I was also
> reluctant at answering because I didn't know the mail address from the
> sender.

How does a mail listing what ports ypu maintain, asking you to reply
saying if you want to continue, possibly look like phishing - would these
people also ignore emails with other questions about their ports (whether
from an openbsd.org address or not)? Part of the commitment for being
listed as a maintainer is responding to questions about the port.

> Next time, I think it might be interesting to send it from an @openbsd.org
> mail address. Of course, from the official servers with SPF/DKIM, etc set up
> correctly.

SPF is a non-starter for openbsd.org, it doesn't fit at all well with
how the email domain is used. And if we had to get DKIM setup on
openbsd.org first this much needed maintenance would just never get
done. (And without one or the other the mails would be very likely
to fail).

I think doing this differently than danj@ did (within the constraints we
have to work with) would have either reduced deliverability or, if he'd
set reply-to openbsd.org, would have made it harder for replies to get
through.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Renaud Allard-2


On 6/6/19 11:24 AM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>
> How does a mail listing what ports ypu maintain, asking you to reply
> saying if you want to continue, possibly look like phishing - would these
> people also ignore emails with other questions about their ports (whether
> from an openbsd.org address or not)? Part of the commitment for being
> listed as a maintainer is responding to questions about the port.

Well, I sometimes receive mails from unknown people asking me questions
(not about ports), which don't look obvious direct phishing, but which
are attempts at testing the gullibility or the recipient. Of course, the
one from Dan looked more genuine and this is why I checked and answered.

>
>> Next time, I think it might be interesting to send it from an @openbsd.org
>> mail address. Of course, from the official servers with SPF/DKIM, etc set up
>> correctly.
>
> SPF is a non-starter for openbsd.org, it doesn't fit at all well with
> how the email domain is used. And if we had to get DKIM setup on
> openbsd.org first this much needed maintenance would just never get
> done. (And without one or the other the mails would be very likely
> to fail).
>
DKIM and SPF are somehow interlinked, because if you want to use DKIM,
you need to send the mail from well known mail servers which know the
key, and thus which would be easily added in the SPF.

> I think doing this differently than danj@ did (within the constraints we
> have to work with) would have either reduced deliverability or, if he'd
> set reply-to openbsd.org, would have made it harder for replies to get
> through.
>

I know, there is no magical recipe and Dan did his best.

Maybe there should be a "mandatory" mailing list with very few messages.
But even that would not garantee a reply.


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Ingo Schwarze
In reply to this post by Renaud Allard-2
Hi Renaud,

Renaud Allard wrote on Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 07:47:24AM +0200:

> I was also reluctant at answering because I didn't know the mail
> address from the sender.

In addition to what sthen@ said:  if you receive an email message
claiming to be *from an OpenBSD developer* and suspect a phishing
attempt for whatever reason, you can always reply to the @openbsd.org
address (in this case danj@) even when Reply-To: is not set.  If it
was not phishing - perfect, from the reply, you now know the other
address is genuine, too.  If it was phishing, the developer is likely
interested to learn that somebody is trying to impersonate them.

Either way, you should *really* reply to mail about your ports (as
opposed to obvious spam, of course), even when you suspect some
kind of phishing.  A maintainer address is publicly advertised on
the Internet anyway, so there is no point in trying to hide the
fact from spammers that you do indeed reed incoming mail.  Better
answer once to a spammer by mistake than ignore a user asking a
genuine question about your port.

Yours,
  Ingo

P.S.
You see, me too, i'm typically sending From: a non-OpenBSD address
without setting Reply-To: - because direct replies are faster.
But there is certainly nothing wrong with writing to schwarze@,
many people do that.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Daniel Jakots-6
In reply to this post by Stuart Henderson
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 22:59:20 +0100, Stuart Henderson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > How do we proceed from here?  
>
> I would keep the ones from reasonably active committers as-is
> (abieber jasper job jsing mlarkin nicm yasuoka) and drop the
> others unless they reply to this mail to say that they're still around
> and interested.
>
> Easy to add others back in if they later decide they do want to
> continue to maintain the ports but we need to draw a line somewhere.

I gave people time in case. Time to move forward on this. :)

Here's the updated list of maintainers to be reset:

alex feinberg   alexander shiryaev      amarendra godbole
amaury gauthier andrew aldridge can erkin acar
david schaefer  diego casati    douglas william thrift
edward  gallon sylvestre        genadijus paleckis
helen koike     hermann gottschalk      holger mauermann
ibrahim khalifa jakob schlyter  james wright
jason meltzer   jeff bachtel    jeff rhyason
johan fredin    jon olsson      jonathan armani
josh rivel      jung lee        kevin wondratsch
laurent moccellin       lazaros koromilas       ljuba nedeljkovic
mario lang      marius eriksen  mathieu sauve-frankel
matteo cantoni  matthias pitzl  michael knudsen
michael paddon  michael reed    nick nauwelaerts
patrick keshishian      patrikas kugrinas       patsy
pete fritchman  rene maroufi    romain gaillegue
roman kravchuk  suzuki hitoshi  thomas wood
todd t. fries   vadim zhukov    vlad glagolev
vladimir popov  vladimir tamara patino  wolfgang rupprecht

People removed from the list are:
aaron bieber    jasper lievisse adriaanse  joel sing
masao uebayashi mike larkin nicholas marriott
yasuoka masahiko


Anyone is against that list? You have a few days to speak up then I'll
proceed with the cleaning.

Cheers,
Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Stuart Henderson
On 2019/07/07 13:00, Daniel Jakots wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 22:59:20 +0100, Stuart Henderson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > How do we proceed from here?  
> >
> > I would keep the ones from reasonably active committers as-is
> > (abieber jasper job jsing mlarkin nicm yasuoka) and drop the
> > others unless they reply to this mail to say that they're still around
> > and interested.
> >
> > Easy to add others back in if they later decide they do want to
> > continue to maintain the ports but we need to draw a line somewhere.
>
> I gave people time in case. Time to move forward on this. :)
>
> Here's the updated list of maintainers to be reset:
>
> alex feinberg   alexander shiryaev      amarendra godbole
> amaury gauthier andrew aldridge can erkin acar
> david schaefer  diego casati    douglas william thrift
> edward  gallon sylvestre        genadijus paleckis
> helen koike     hermann gottschalk      holger mauermann
> ibrahim khalifa jakob schlyter  james wright
> jason meltzer   jeff bachtel    jeff rhyason
> johan fredin    jon olsson      jonathan armani
> josh rivel      jung lee        kevin wondratsch
> laurent moccellin       lazaros koromilas       ljuba nedeljkovic
> mario lang      marius eriksen  mathieu sauve-frankel
> matteo cantoni  matthias pitzl  michael knudsen
> michael paddon  michael reed    nick nauwelaerts
> patrick keshishian      patrikas kugrinas       patsy
> pete fritchman  rene maroufi    romain gaillegue
> roman kravchuk  suzuki hitoshi  thomas wood
> todd t. fries   vadim zhukov    vlad glagolev
> vladimir popov  vladimir tamara patino  wolfgang rupprecht
>
> People removed from the list are:
> aaron bieber    jasper lievisse adriaanse  joel sing
> masao uebayashi mike larkin nicholas marriott
> yasuoka masahiko
>
>
> Anyone is against that list? You have a few days to speak up then I'll
> proceed with the cleaning.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>

I am OK with removing these MAINTAINER entries. If somebody is removed
who actually wants maintainer and either didn't receive the mail, or
didn't bother to reply to it, they are free to send a diff to reinstate :-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
On Sun, Jul 07 2019, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019/07/07 13:00, Daniel Jakots wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 22:59:20 +0100, Stuart Henderson
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > > How do we proceed from here?  
>> >
>> > I would keep the ones from reasonably active committers as-is
>> > (abieber jasper job jsing mlarkin nicm yasuoka) and drop the
>> > others unless they reply to this mail to say that they're still around
>> > and interested.
>> >
>> > Easy to add others back in if they later decide they do want to
>> > continue to maintain the ports but we need to draw a line somewhere.
>>
>> I gave people time in case. Time to move forward on this. :)
>>
>> Here's the updated list of maintainers to be reset:
>>
>> alex feinberg   alexander shiryaev      amarendra godbole
>> amaury gauthier andrew aldridge can erkin acar
>> david schaefer  diego casati    douglas william thrift
>> edward  gallon sylvestre        genadijus paleckis
>> helen koike     hermann gottschalk      holger mauermann
>> ibrahim khalifa jakob schlyter  james wright
>> jason meltzer   jeff bachtel    jeff rhyason
>> johan fredin    jon olsson      jonathan armani
>> josh rivel      jung lee        kevin wondratsch
>> laurent moccellin       lazaros koromilas       ljuba nedeljkovic
>> mario lang      marius eriksen  mathieu sauve-frankel
>> matteo cantoni  matthias pitzl  michael knudsen
>> michael paddon  michael reed    nick nauwelaerts
>> patrick keshishian      patrikas kugrinas       patsy
>> pete fritchman  rene maroufi    romain gaillegue
>> roman kravchuk  suzuki hitoshi  thomas wood
>> todd t. fries   vadim zhukov    vlad glagolev
>> vladimir popov  vladimir tamara patino  wolfgang rupprecht
>>
>> People removed from the list are:
>> aaron bieber    jasper lievisse adriaanse  joel sing
>> masao uebayashi mike larkin nicholas marriott
>> yasuoka masahiko
>>
>>
>> Anyone is against that list? You have a few days to speak up then I'll
>> proceed with the cleaning.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel
>>
>
> I am OK with removing these MAINTAINER entries. If somebody is removed
> who actually wants maintainer and either didn't receive the mail, or
> didn't bother to reply to it, they are free to send a diff to reinstate :-)

+1, ok jca@

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenBSD maintainers Spring cleaning

Daniel Jakots-6
On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 22:31:55 +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Here's the updated list of maintainers to be reset:
> >>
> >> alex feinberg   alexander shiryaev      amarendra godbole
> >> amaury gauthier andrew aldridge can erkin acar
> >> david schaefer  diego casati    douglas william thrift
> >> edward  gallon sylvestre        genadijus paleckis
> >> helen koike     hermann gottschalk      holger mauermann
> >> ibrahim khalifa jakob schlyter  james wright
> >> jason meltzer   jeff bachtel    jeff rhyason
> >> johan fredin    jon olsson      jonathan armani
> >> josh rivel      jung lee        kevin wondratsch
> >> laurent moccellin       lazaros koromilas       ljuba nedeljkovic
> >> mario lang      marius eriksen  mathieu sauve-frankel
> >> matteo cantoni  matthias pitzl  michael knudsen
> >> michael paddon  michael reed    nick nauwelaerts
> >> patrick keshishian      patrikas kugrinas       patsy
> >> pete fritchman  rene maroufi    romain gaillegue
> >> roman kravchuk  suzuki hitoshi  thomas wood
> >> todd t. fries   vadim zhukov    vlad glagolev
> >> vladimir popov  vladimir tamara patino  wolfgang rupprecht
> >>
> >> People removed from the list are:
> >> aaron bieber    jasper lievisse adriaanse  joel sing
> >> masao uebayashi mike larkin nicholas marriott
> >> yasuoka masahiko
> >>
> >> Anyone is against that list? You have a few days to speak up then
> >> I'll proceed with the cleaning.
> >
> > I am OK with removing these MAINTAINER entries. If somebody is
> > removed who actually wants maintainer and either didn't receive the
> > mail, or didn't bother to reply to it, they are free to send a diff
> > to reinstate :-)  
>
> +1, ok jca@

Done. Thanks for your support!

Daniel