OpenBSD mailserver success stories ?

Stan-18
WE are in the early engineering stages of building a replacement system for
one that we installed about 25 years ago that has served us well, and aged
gracefully. However it is tied to some commercial software for a vendor that
long ago fell into the back hole of commercial software vendors. Yep, no
source code.

So, I am doing some soul searching. Our OS decision tree that is a legacy
from that time is as follows:

if faces the outside world, or is network curious (DNS for example) OS =
OpenBSD

else if OS need fancy GUI, or commercial software is involve OS = Linux

els OS = FreeBSD

this has served us well for many years, but it has been a long time since
we did anteing involving FreeBSD. Granted I still have solid machines
protected by modern OpenBSD fireballs, but ... I am thinking I may want to
go down to  2 choices for OS's.

Given that, most of the things we are doing with FreeBSD,  Apache, Samba,
NFS etc, do not concern me as to doing them with OpenBSD. but I am a bit
concerned about the mailserver. We use it for internal mail, and it gets mail
from a large variety of systems, and devices, not all of which are modern.
also I offer our users many options for retrieving their mail. With this in
mid, I'd like to hear the experience of others using OpenBSD for
mailserver.

Thanks.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: OpenBSD mailserver success stories ?

Mark Carroll
On 26 Apr 2016, stan wrote:

> Given that, most of the things we are doing with FreeBSD,  Apache, Samba,
> NFS etc, do not concern me as to doing them with OpenBSD. but I am a bit
> concerned about the mailserver. We use it for internal mail, and it gets mail
> from a large variety of systems, and devices, not all of which are modern.
> also I offer our users many options for retrieving their mail. With this in
> mid, I'd like to hear the experience of others using OpenBSD for
> mailserver.

My current requirements are pretty simple and I am very happy with the
base smtpd for listening on smtp and smtps, pf directing blacklisted
sites to spamd instead. Dovecot does SSL IMAP for me. But, if smtpd
doesn't suffice for you, you have very powerful, reliable solutions
binary-packaged for you by OpenBSD, such as Exim 4.

-- Mark

Re: OpenBSD mailserver success stories ?

Rubén Llorente
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:32:22 -0400, stan wrote:

> Given that, most of the things we are doing with FreeBSD,  Apache,
> Samba, NFS etc, do not concern me as to doing them with OpenBSD. but I
> am a bit concerned about the mailserver. We use it for internal mail,
> and it gets mail from a large variety of systems, and devices, not all
> of which are modern. also I offer our users many options for retrieving
> their mail. With this in mid, I'd like to hear the experience of others
> using OpenBSD for mailserver.
>
> Thanks.

I have set OpenSMTPD for small deployments and it does the trick. It is
just easier to configure than any other SMTP daemon I have dealt with.

If you want to know if OpenSMTPD is good for your user case, you are
better off asking if it can do X and Y and Z, and how well it does them.

If your deployment is any serious you should test the software in
controlled conditions before you take a decision and install it.

Re: OpenBSD mailserver success stories ?

polken
i have been using OBSD mail server for 12 years its medium but it just works
no problem at all with mail server i dont think you will have any problem by
the way im using postfix as mta

> Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:32:22 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: OpenBSD mailserver success stories ?
>
> WE are in the early engineering stages of building a replacement system for
> one that we installed about 25 years ago that has served us well, and aged
> gracefully. However it is tied to some commercial software for a vendor
that

> long ago fell into the back hole of commercial software vendors. Yep, no
> source code.
>
> So, I am doing some soul searching. Our OS decision tree that is a legacy
> from that time is as follows:
>
> if faces the outside world, or is network curious (DNS for example) OS =
> OpenBSD
>
> else if OS need fancy GUI, or commercial software is involve OS = Linux
>
> els OS = FreeBSD
>
> this has served us well for many years, but it has been a long time since
> we did anteing involving FreeBSD. Granted I still have solid machines
> protected by modern OpenBSD fireballs, but ... I am thinking I may want to
> go down to  2 choices for OS's.
>
> Given that, most of the things we are doing with FreeBSD,  Apache, Samba,
> NFS etc, do not concern me as to doing them with OpenBSD. but I am a bit
> concerned about the mailserver. We use it for internal mail, and it gets
mail

> from a large variety of systems, and devices, not all of which are modern.
> also I offer our users many options for retrieving their mail. With this in
> mid, I'd like to hear the experience of others using OpenBSD for
> mailserver.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

Re: OpenBSD mailserver success stories ?

Zhang Huangbin-3
> On Apr 27, 2016, at 12:32 AM, stan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> With this in mid, I'd like to hear the experience of others using OpenBSD
for
> mailserver.

You may give iRedMail a try, it's free and open source, works on OpenBSD:
http://www.iredmail.org/

Re: OpenBSD mailserver success stories ?

Steven Shockley
On 04/26/2016 12:32 PM, stan wrote:
> I'd like to hear the experience of others using OpenBSD for
> mailserver.

I used the guide from
http://technoquarter.blogspot.com/2015/02/openbsd-mail-server.html to
walk through the setup of OpenSMTPD, Dovecot, and Roundcube.  It's a
little dated now (based on 5.6), but I thought it did a good job of not
being a "recipe" guide and walking through the thought process.  If I
were starting over, I'd suggest following the guide on a test system and
taking notes, then set up your prod system based on your notes.  (I'd
also try to start with more than 1 GB of RAM when using clamd.)

Re: OpenBSD mailserver success stories ?

Bruno Flueckiger
On 26.04.2016 18:32, stan wrote:

> Given that, most of the things we are doing with FreeBSD,  Apache,
> Samba,
> NFS etc, do not concern me as to doing them with OpenBSD. but I am a
> bit
> concerned about the mailserver. We use it for internal mail, and it
> gets mail
> from a large variety of systems, and devices, not all of which are
> modern.
> also I offer our users many options for retrieving their mail. With
> this in
> mid, I'd like to hear the experience of others using OpenBSD for
> mailserver.

I use OpenBSD for my own little mail server at home with Postfix and
Courier IMAP. This system was setup with OpenBSD 4.4 and got every new
release of OpenBSD since then.

At work I run two VMs with OpenBSD which act as incomming SMTP gateways.
The gateways eliminate spam and malware before forwarding mails to the
internal Exchange server. The system is built with Postfix, ClamAV and
SpamAssassin. Both servers process hundereds to thousands of mails each
day.

Cheers,
Bruno

Re: OpenBSD mailserver success stories ?

Craig Skinner-3

Try this Stan: http://frozen-geek.net/openbsd-email-server-1/