OpenBSD mailing lists & demime in an ascii world

OpenBSD mailing lists & demime in an ascii world

Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas-2
As you'll see in my signature above, 8 bit characters are mangled on
OpenBSD mailing lists. Not that I care much, but passing the demime perl
script a ''-8'' argument would be enough to solve that (if that is
desired).

--
JC)rC)mie CourrC(ges-Anglas
GPG fingerprint: 61DB D9A0 00A4 67CF 2A90 8961 6191 8FBF 06A1 1494

Re: OpenBSD mailing lists & demime in an ascii world

Simon Perreault-3
On 2012-06-02 13:19, JC)rC)mie CourrC(ges-Anglas wrote:
> As you'll see in my signature above, 8 bit characters are mangled on
> OpenBSD mailing lists. Not that I care much, but passing the demime perl
> script a ''-8'' argument would be enough to solve that (if that is
> desired).

AFAIK SMTP without MIME can only transport ASCII.

Simon

Simon Perreault <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 2012-06-02 13:19, JC)rC)mie CourrC(ges-Anglas wrote:
                        ^^ ^^         ^^
>> As you'll see in my signature above, 8 bit characters are mangled on
>> OpenBSD mailing lists. Not that I care much, but passing the demime perl
>> script a ''-8'' argument would be enough to solve that (if that is
>> desired).
>
> AFAIK SMTP without MIME can only transport ASCII.
>
> Simon

Sure, but shear.ucar.edu advertizes 8BITMIME, the only problem here is
demime. Caring about old dumb 7bit-only MTAs sounds like a waste of time
to me.

On 2012-06-04 19:10, Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas wrote:
>> AFAIK SMTP without MIME can only transport ASCII.
>
> Sure, but shear.ucar.edu advertizes 8BITMIME, the only problem here is
> demime.

8BITMIME is useless. It only allows SMTP to transport arbitrary 8-bit
content. It still doesn't allow you to specify a character set other
than ASCII. So what are you going to do with this extra bit? Unless you
can communicate the character set, you're still pretty much stuck with
ASCII. You need MIME, with its Content-Type header, to be able to
specify a character set other than ASCII.

8BITMIME is an optimization to allow bodies to be encoded more
efficiently, using 8 bits instead of 7. But you need an 8-bit character
set in order to benefit from it.

Simon

Re: OpenBSD mailing lists & demime in an ascii world

Simon Perreault-3
While what I wrote below is true, I didn't understand correctly the
problem with demime. I thought it properly "demimed" the message,
including the headers. Turns out it just stupidly and brokenly mangled
the body. And it looks like the problem is fixed now. Yay!

Simon

--
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca