OpenBSD/macppc on lombard - cannot boot

Thomas Maschutznig-2
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has experience with making OpenBSD/macppc run
on an old Powerbook G3/333 "Lombard" (bronze keys, no FireWire, mediabay
CDROM, OpenFirmware 3, 1.0f1 BootROM).

I saw that the Lombards are not listed as "known compatible" in the
supported hardware list, though they are not declared "unsupported"
either. (I could make it boot a NetBSD Install CD from ofw)

I have downloaded an OpenBSD cd38.iso for macppc and burned the image
with Nero; holding down 'c' does not result in booting from CDROM and
when I tell ofw to:

boot cd:,ofwboot 3.8/macppc/bsd.rd
or
boot cd:,ofwboot

I get the error "can't OPEN: cd:,ofwboot"

Using all uppercase for the filenames and paths results in the same error.

Google and GMANE for the ppc list left me clueless - Any hints or ideas?

cheers,
  thomas

Re: OpenBSD/macppc on lombard - cannot boot

Thomas Maschutznig-2
Oh well, burning the image again but this time using cdrecord in
GNU/Linux did the trick. (for the records, just like this: cdrecord
dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 cd38.iso)
Now the lombard boots fine, both when holding down C and from ofw!

Excellent - Let's see how far I can get, maybe the Lombard might just
make it into the supported list ;-)

cheers,
  thomas

Re: OpenBSD/macppc on lombard - cannot boot

Martin Reindl
Thomas Maschutznig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh well, burning the image again but this time using cdrecord in
> GNU/Linux did the trick. (for the records, just like this: cdrecord
> dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 cd38.iso)
> Now the lombard boots fine, both when holding down C and from ofw!
>
> Excellent - Let's see how far I can get, maybe the Lombard might just
> make it into the supported list ;-)

showing a dmesg sure helps

martin