OpenBSD hosting

Friedrich Locke
Dear gentleman,

i am searching for web hosting service that :

supports java,
support MySQL
allow me shell account access for software development with access to MySQL.
allow ssh/sftp access.
and runs OpenBSD at least for the shell services.
allow me to host dns for my domain.

Is anybody aware of a such hosting services...

thank.

CPB

Re: OpenBSD hosting

CPB
Friedrich Locke wrote:

> Dear gentleman,
>
> i am searching for web hosting service that :
>
> supports java,
> support MySQL
> allow me shell account access for software development with access to MySQL.
> allow ssh/sftp access.
> and runs OpenBSD at least for the shell services.
> allow me to host dns for my domain.
>
> Is anybody aware of a such hosting services...
>
> thank.

I use corenetworks.net.

They are inexpensive and can install your OpenBSD system if you don't
know how.
I wouldn't use the word support however.
They expect you to be able to support yourself, but they can do the install.

You can run whatever operating system you like with them.
They have IP KVM, so you can do an install as if you were sitting at a
screen.
They don't restrict any services.

   -- Robert Heinlein

Re: OpenBSD hosting

virtualroot
http://ipv4.net/

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Chris Bennett
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Friedrich Locke wrote:
>>
>> Dear gentleman,
>>
>> i am searching for web hosting service that :
>>
>> supports java,
>> support MySQL
>> allow me shell account access for software development with access to
>> MySQL.
>> allow ssh/sftp access.
>> and runs OpenBSD at least for the shell services.
>> allow me to host dns for my domain.
>>
>> Is anybody aware of a such hosting services...
>>
>> thank.
>>

> I use corenetworks.net.
>
> They are inexpensive and can install your OpenBSD system if you don't know
> how.
> I wouldn't use the word support however.
> They expect you to be able to support yourself, but they can do the install.
>
> You can run whatever operating system you like with them.
> They have IP KVM, so you can do an install as if you were sitting at a
> screen.
> They don't restrict any services.
>
> --
> A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
> butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
> accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
> give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
> problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
> efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
>  -- Robert Heinlein

Re: OpenBSD hosting

michael enoma aghayere
www.Rootr.net is a Web service provider hosting servers using OpenBSD.

--
~michael
www.BSDqed.com

Re: OpenBSD hosting

John Cosimano
--- Friedrich Locke [Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 06:54:34PM -0300]: ---

> Dear gentleman,
>
> i am searching for web hosting service that :
>
> supports java,
> support MySQL
> allow me shell account access for software development with access to MySQL.
> allow ssh/sftp access.
> and runs OpenBSD at least for the shell services.
> allow me to host dns for my domain.
>
> Is anybody aware of a such hosting services...

check out m5hosting.com. i think there are shared hosting options, but
for a reasonable amount of money, you can have your own dedicated host
to run OpenBSD and do as you see fit, within reason.

can't say enough good things about the folks at m5hosting. i'm a
satisified customer only; i have no interest in the company.

Re: OpenBSD hosting

Michiel van Baak-2
On 19:59, Sun 22 Feb 09, jmc wrote:

> --- Friedrich Locke [Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 06:54:34PM -0300]: ---
> > Dear gentleman,
> >
> > i am searching for web hosting service that :
> >
> > supports java,
> > support MySQL
> > allow me shell account access for software development with access to MySQL.
> > allow ssh/sftp access.
> > and runs OpenBSD at least for the shell services.
> > allow me to host dns for my domain.
> >
> > Is anybody aware of a such hosting services...
>
> check out m5hosting.com. i think there are shared hosting options, but
> for a reasonable amount of money, you can have your own dedicated host
> to run OpenBSD and do as you see fit, within reason.
>
> can't say enough good things about the folks at m5hosting. i'm a
> satisified customer only; i have no interest in the company.

easyspeedy.com is also pretty ok.
I dont know how their routes to the USA are but within europe they
perform really good and their prices are nice as well.

The only thing you cannot do there is host an irc server, but besides
that, as long as it's legal, you can do whatever you want.
They offer a nice set of operating systems.

Like jmc I'm just a customer, no interest in the company or any of it's
partners/suppliers.
We have a couple of ES3010 boxen and are really happy with them.
--

Michiel van Baak
[hidden email]

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?"

Re: OpenBSD hosting

Alvaro Mantilla Gimenez-3
Hi,

  Hetzner.de is pretty good too. They let you install OpenBSD in a
dedicated server trough LARA console. Their support is really good and they
have the better prices I found for a dedicated servers.

  Check it:
http://www.hetzner.de/hosting/produktmatrix/en-rootserver-produktmatrix/

  Regards,

        Alvaro

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 02:08:13 +0100, Michiel van Baak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 19:59, Sun 22 Feb 09, jmc wrote:
>> --- Friedrich Locke [Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 06:54:34PM -0300]: ---
>> > Dear gentleman,
>> >
>> > i am searching for web hosting service that :
>> >
>> > supports java,
>> > support MySQL
>> > allow me shell account access for software development with access to
> MySQL.
>> > allow ssh/sftp access.
>> > and runs OpenBSD at least for the shell services.
>> > allow me to host dns for my domain.
>> >
>> > Is anybody aware of a such hosting services...
>>
>> check out m5hosting.com. i think there are shared hosting options, but
>> for a reasonable amount of money, you can have your own dedicated host
>> to run OpenBSD and do as you see fit, within reason.
>>
>> can't say enough good things about the folks at m5hosting. i'm a
>> satisified customer only; i have no interest in the company.
>
> easyspeedy.com is also pretty ok.
> I dont know how their routes to the USA are but within europe they
> perform really good and their prices are nice as well.
>
> The only thing you cannot do there is host an irc server, but besides
> that, as long as it's legal, you can do whatever you want.
> They offer a nice set of operating systems.
>
> Like jmc I'm just a customer, no interest in the company or any of it's
> partners/suppliers.
> We have a couple of ES3010 boxen and are really happy with them.

Re: OpenBSD hosting

Gilles Chehade-5
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 02:08:13AM +0100, Michiel van Baak wrote:

> On 19:59, Sun 22 Feb 09, jmc wrote:
> > --- Friedrich Locke [Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 06:54:34PM -0300]: ---
> > > Dear gentleman,
> > >
> > > i am searching for web hosting service that :
> > >
> > > supports java,
> > > support MySQL
> > > allow me shell account access for software development with access to MySQL.
> > > allow ssh/sftp access.
> > > and runs OpenBSD at least for the shell services.
> > > allow me to host dns for my domain.
> > >
> > > Is anybody aware of a such hosting services...
> >
> > check out m5hosting.com. i think there are shared hosting options, but
> > for a reasonable amount of money, you can have your own dedicated host
> > to run OpenBSD and do as you see fit, within reason.
> >
> > can't say enough good things about the folks at m5hosting. i'm a
> > satisified customer only; i have no interest in the company.
>
> easyspeedy.com is also pretty ok.
> I dont know how their routes to the USA are but within europe they
> perform really good and their prices are nice as well.
>
> The only thing you cannot do there is host an irc server, but besides
> that, as long as it's legal, you can do whatever you want.
> They offer a nice set of operating systems.
>
> Like jmc I'm just a customer, no interest in the company or any of it's
> partners/suppliers.
> We have a couple of ES3010 boxen and are really happy with them.

Hi,

I have no interests in either one of these companies, but I have been
a customer of both and I would strongly discourage anyone from taking
a server at easyspeedy. I've had a very bad experience with them, the
network being very unstable for days and them refusing to admit their
responsability and trying to convince me that my ISP was the problem,
even when evidences were pointing to them. Shit happens, but refusing
to acknowledge a mistake and let a problem sit for days is just not a
professional way of handling PR's and establishing trust ...

I've been a customer of Layeredtech for years and they were doing the
work correctly until I needed a hardware upgrade. Things were planned
to limit the downtime, however they dealt very bad with it and didn't
follow the plans causing nearly two days of downtime. So I'd say they
are great if you don't have critical services running, and need to be
able to change infrastructure.

I've been at m5hosting for the last few months and so far they're way
better than what I've seen elsewhere. Maybe just a bit too expensive,
if you compare the hardware with what you can get elsewhere, but they
do seem to know what they're doing.

Gilles

--
Gilles Chehade
http://www.poolp.org/~gilles/

Re: OpenBSD hosting

William Graeber-2
On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 17:33, Chris Bennett
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Friedrich Locke wrote:
>>
>> Dear gentleman,
>>
>> i am searching for web hosting service that :
>>
>> supports java,
>> support MySQL
>> allow me shell account access for software development with access to
>> MySQL.
>> allow ssh/sftp access.
>> and runs OpenBSD at least for the shell services.
>> allow me to host dns for my domain.
>>
>> Is anybody aware of a such hosting services...
>>
>> thank.
>>

> I use corenetworks.net.
>
> They are inexpensive and can install your OpenBSD system if you don't know
> how.
> I wouldn't use the word support however.
> They expect you to be able to support yourself, but they can do the install.
>
> You can run whatever operating system you like with them.
> They have IP KVM, so you can do an install as if you were sitting at a
> screen.
> They don't restrict any services.
>
> --
> A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
> butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
> accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
> give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
> problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
> efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
>  -- Robert Heinlein

Does anyone else have experience with CoreNetworks? They seem to be
exactly what I have been looking for (cheap/reliable OpenBSD hosting
for very low load sites). I have hosted on FreeBSD with ThePlanet for
several years with nothing but excellent service, but they have
increased their prices too far from what they originally charged me.
Also, does anyone know which service providers CoreNetworks uses? They
don't seem to have any listed on the website.

-William

Re: OpenBSD hosting

C. Bensend
> I've been at m5hosting for the last few months and so far they're way
> better than what I've seen elsewhere. Maybe just a bit too expensive,
> if you compare the hardware with what you can get elsewhere, but they
> do seem to know what they're doing.

I'm also a big fan of m5hosting...  I've been with them for coming
up on two years, and they've done a fantastic job.

They've had their growing pains and are still working out some
administrative wrinkles, but I've never had a bad experience
dealing with them.

Benny

--
"If I were god I would run past that camera robot on Mars with
a gorilla suit on and freak everyone out."
                                          -- Seen on fazed.net

Re: OpenBSD hosting

Michiel van Baak-2
On 03:37, Mon 23 Feb 09, Gilles Chehade wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 02:08:13AM +0100, Michiel van Baak wrote:
> > On 19:59, Sun 22 Feb 09, jmc wrote:
> > > --- Friedrich Locke [Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 06:54:34PM -0300]: ---

> > > check out m5hosting.com. i think there are shared hosting options, but
> > > for a reasonable amount of money, you can have your own dedicated host
> > > to run OpenBSD and do as you see fit, within reason.
> > >
> > > can't say enough good things about the folks at m5hosting. i'm a
> > > satisified customer only; i have no interest in the company.
> >
> > easyspeedy.com is also pretty ok.
> > I dont know how their routes to the USA are but within europe they
> > perform really good and their prices are nice as well.
> >
> > The only thing you cannot do there is host an irc server, but besides
> > that, as long as it's legal, you can do whatever you want.
> > They offer a nice set of operating systems.
> >
> > Like jmc I'm just a customer, no interest in the company or any of it's
> > partners/suppliers.
> > We have a couple of ES3010 boxen and are really happy with them.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I have no interests in either one of these companies, but I have been
> a customer of both and I would strongly discourage anyone from taking
> a server at easyspeedy. I've had a very bad experience with them, the
> network being very unstable for days and them refusing to admit their
> responsability and trying to convince me that my ISP was the problem,
> even when evidences were pointing to them. Shit happens, but refusing
> to acknowledge a mistake and let a problem sit for days is just not a
> professional way of handling PR's and establishing trust ...

If that would have happened to me I would never have mentioned their
name here.
We have two servers with them and are very happy with them.
Maybe we're just happy.

I'll keep your experience in mind for when we need support from them.

--

Michiel van Baak
[hidden email]
http://michiel.vanbaak.eu

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?"

Re: OpenBSD hosting

John Cosimano
--- C. Bensend [Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 08:00:59PM -0600]: ---

> > I've been at m5hosting for the last few months and so far they're way
> > better than what I've seen elsewhere. Maybe just a bit too expensive,
> > if you compare the hardware with what you can get elsewhere, but they
> > do seem to know what they're doing.
>
> I'm also a big fan of m5hosting...  I've been with them for coming
> up on two years, and they've done a fantastic job.
>
> They've had their growing pains and are still working out some
> administrative wrinkles, but I've never had a bad experience
> dealing with them.

the other thing about m5 is that they make regular donations to the
OpenBSD projects and purchase CD sets. i would expect, ot at least hope,
other hosting providers who support obsd do the same, but....

Re: OpenBSD hosting

Francisco Valladolid Hdez.
Hi

Consider  www.geekisp.com I have a account with Dave for almost, three years without problems.

www.rootr.net can be a nice solution.

Dedicated server, www.sprocketdata.com  or www.m5hosting.com

Regards.

> i am searching for web hosting service that :
>
> supports java,
> support MySQL
> allow me shell account access for software development with
> access to MySQL.
> allow ssh/sftp access.
> and runs OpenBSD at least for the shell services.
> allow me to host dns for my domain.
>
> Is anybody aware of a such hosting services...
>
> thank.

Re: OpenBSD hosting

Sevan / Venture37-2
Friedrich Locke wrote:

> Dear gentleman,
>
> i am searching for web hosting service that :
>
> supports java,
> support MySQL
> allow me shell account access for software development with access to MySQL.
> allow ssh/sftp access.
> and runs OpenBSD at least for the shell services.
> allow me to host dns for my domain.
>
> Is anybody aware of a such hosting services...
>
> thank.

If you're happy with a xen based virtual server, rootbsd.net offer
openbsd virtual servers.

Sevan / Venture37

Re: OpenBSD hosting

Marcos Laufer - Ipv4networks.com
Dear Friedrich,

We offer dedicated servers at ipv4.net
If you are interested let me know

Regards,
Marcos Laufer

Francisco Valladolid Hdez. wrote:

> Hi
>
> Consider  www.geekisp.com I have a account with Dave for almost, three years without problems.
>
> www.rootr.net can be a nice solution.
>
> Dedicated server, www.sprocketdata.com  or www.m5hosting.com
>
> Regards.

Re: OpenBSD hosting

ben wilber-3
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:05:17PM -0200, Marcos Laufer wrote:
> Dear Friedrich,
>
> We offer dedicated servers at ipv4.net
> If you are interested let me know

Does ipv4.net offer ipv6?