OpenBSD forked

Re: OpenBSD forked

cognacc
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 04:02:51PM +0200, Mic J wrote:
>
>> Who is J.R. Steven?
>
> I think Marc intended to mention W. Richard Stevens.
> See http://www.kohala.com
>
>        -Otto

That what i thought, no JR stevens came up in my search. (+network +perl)
Closest one was, "Freak economy", and the 7 habits of highly
(D)Effective people.

:)

Re: OpenBSD forked

Marc Espie-2
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 04:22:57PM +0200, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 04:02:51PM +0200, Mic J wrote:
>
> > Who is J.R. Steven?
>
> I think Marc intended to mention W. Richard Stevens.
> See http://www.kohala.com

yep, of course. Deeply sorry to have mangled his name.

W. Richard Stevens was THE best unix books author *ever*, bar none.

He's on a par with such CS giants as Don Knuth, writing-wise.

"Advanced Unix programming" is *the* best book to understand how
to write Unix code, PERIOD.

Re: OpenBSD forked

Gilles Chehade-7
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 05:02:22PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:

> W. Richard Stevens was THE best unix books author *ever*, bar none.
>
> He's on a par with such CS giants as Don Knuth, writing-wise.
>
> "Advanced Unix programming" is *the* best book to understand how
> to write Unix code, PERIOD.

That and "Linux for dummies" too !

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg

Re: OpenBSD forked

Johan Beisser
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Eric Furman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So what is wrong with perl??
> It is nearly a standard in the UNIX Admin world.

It's a terrible language, and you should feel terrible for using it.

Re: OpenBSD forked

Miod Vallat
> > There's always the possibility to split OpenBSD, `outsourcing' the
> > platforms which do not matter except to crazy nutcases to `RusticBSD'.
> >

> I would prefer the crazy nutcases apply their considerable knowledge
> to stuff that still matters.

Would they still be nutcases if they'd perform useful work?

Miod

Re: OpenBSD forked

Kenneth R Westerback
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 07:35:06AM -0600, Diana Eichert wrote:

> morons
>
> if you can't write forth code you should stay home.
>
> diana
>

> Past hissy-fits are not a predictor of future hissy-fits.
> Nick Holland(06 Dec 2005)

I thought forth code was planted and grown like a bonsai tree.

.... Ken

Re: OpenBSD forked

Rod Whitworth-3
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:16:45 +0200, Gilles Chehade wrote:

>That and "Linux for dummies" too !

That reminds me - a friend had a whole bunch of little sticky labels
printed. He would stick them on the front cover of $subject For Dummies
books in the bookstore.

They fitted between the $subject line and the "For Dummies" line.

The sticker was very simple it said: "Is Only"
 8-))

R/

*** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to reply off list. Thankyou.

Rod/
---
This life is not the real thing.
It is not even in Beta.
If it was, then OpenBSD would already have a man page for it.

Re: OpenBSD forked

Nicolas P. M. Legrand
Hey,

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 03:04:39PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 02:55:02PM +0200, Gilles Chehade wrote:
> > That's an implementation detail :-p
> >
> > Someone who really wants to understand things will look at the man
> > pages and try to understand, someone who doesn't give a damn about
> > getting things done right will produce crap with or without proper
> > courses ...
> >

> I don't think you can really understand fork/exit/wait without proper
> course material, just from the man pages.
>
> That is, read R.J.Steven, obviously.

Do you have a reference for this?

cheers,

Re: OpenBSD forked

Anonymous Remailer (austria)
Marc Espie wrote:

> W. Richard Stevens was THE best unix books author *ever*, bar none.
>
> He's on a par with such CS giants as Don Knuth, writing-wise.
>
> "Advanced Unix programming" is *the* best book to understand how
> to write Unix code, PERIOD.

Are you saying the 1992 edition is still worthwhile now in 2012?

Re: OpenBSD forked

Eugene Yunak
On Sunday, 24 June 2012, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:

> Marc Espie wrote:
>
> > W. Richard Stevens was THE best unix books author *ever*, bar none.
> >
> > He's on a par with such CS giants as Don Knuth, writing-wise.
> >
> > "Advanced Unix programming" is *the* best book to understand how
> > to write Unix code, PERIOD.
>
> Are you saying the 1992 edition is still worthwhile now in 2012?

Absolutely.
One book that i always recommend people to get to accompany Stevens'
masterpiece is "The Art of Unix Programming".
These two books plus K&R really is everything you need to get a good start.

Cheers,
Eugene

--
The best the little guy can do is what
the little guy does right

Re: OpenBSD forked

Otto Moerbeek
On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 02:48:04PM +0200, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:

> Marc Espie wrote:
>
> > W. Richard Stevens was THE best unix books author *ever*, bar none.
> >
> > He's on a par with such CS giants as Don Knuth, writing-wise.
> >
> > "Advanced Unix programming" is *the* best book to understand how
> > to write Unix code, PERIOD.
>
> Are you saying the 1992 edition is still worthwhile now in 2012?

Last and 2nd edition was published in 2005. And yes, it is still
relevant, even the 1st edition. Programming using the unix system
calls/posix hasn't changed a lot since the nineties.

        -Otto

Re: OpenBSD forked

Siju George-3
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> They started the fork because they got kicked out because one
> developer (Marco) hired 5 other developers for his startup company,
> and attempted to hire around 10 other developers in a sneaky and
> underhanded way.

What about

http://aeriebsd.org/about.html

?

Thanks

Siju

Re: OpenBSD forked

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Siju George <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> They started the fork because they got kicked out because one
>> developer (Marco) hired 5 other developers for his startup company,
>> and attempted to hire around 10 other developers in a sneaky and
>> underhanded way.
>
> What about
>
> http://aeriebsd.org/about.html
>
> ?

Copyright and pages from about 2008 - 2010 and in CVSweb files
modified before 3 years as last and so on? Seems like one of tens of
projects which start because someone thinks that just because he can
fork automatically must mean that it's really needed which is wrong
and there's a lot such forks in Linux world leading to nowhere.

Same for Bitrig - at least forum and bugs. No change for 3 weeks or
so. Even in projects not paying so much attention to PR like OpenBSD
or DragonflyBSD is a lot of changes during that time. Sure everyone is
free to do what he likes, but for some things you need to have focus
if you want to have results and OpenBSD project is showing already for
many years that they have focus and can stay on line. I don't think
(just my opinion) that OpenBSD project is against changes which Bitrig
want to implement, but OpenBSD want them documented, in quality and
free. It's doable, but takes time and a lot of times some feature were
last in OpenBSD, but when it arrived it was superb when comparing with
other implementations which were already for some time on "market".

> Thanks
>
> Siju

Re: OpenBSD forked

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Siju George <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> They started the fork because they got kicked out because one
>> developer (Marco) hired 5 other developers for his startup company,
>> and attempted to hire around 10 other developers in a sneaky and
>> underhanded way.

And read complete archive on Theo's page about his kick from NetBSD
project. It was completely different case and he was without chance
for sure in that time and starting OpenBSD was only way.

> What about
>
> http://aeriebsd.org/about.html
>
> ?
>
> Thanks