OpenBSD for mobile

opendaddy
Hi,

Are there any plans to make somelike like http://www.ubuntu.com/phone for OpenBSD?

Thanks.

O.D.

Re: OpenBSD for mobile

opendaddy
* something like

On 26. november 2013 at 4:09 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Are there any plans to make somelike like
>http://www.ubuntu.com/phone for OpenBSD?
>
>Thanks.
>
>O.D.

Re: OpenBSD for mobile

Alexander Hall
On 11/26/13 17:08, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans to make somelike like http://www.ubuntu.com/phone for OpenBSD?

Not that I know of, and I can't imagine the platforms being open enough.

/Alexander

Re: OpenBSD for mobile

Chris Cappuccio
[hidden email] [[hidden email]] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans to make somelike like http://www.ubuntu.com/phone for OpenBSD?

Yes. Of course.

Re: OpenBSD for mobile

Tony Sidaway
On 26 Nov 2013 19:05, "Alexander Hall" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/26/13 17:08, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are there any plans to make somelike like http://www.ubuntu.com/phonefor OpenBSD?
>

> Not that I know of, and I can't imagine the platforms being open enough.

Yes, that's it. This is the reason why you'll find OpenBSD for open
hardware such as Beagle/Panda but not for Raspberry Pie. In general,
drivers are difficult to write and maintain unless the hardware is properly
documented. Hardly any smartphone hardware us adequately documented or
unencumbered by non-disclosure requirements.

Chi

Re: OpenBSD for mobile

Chi
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:08:58 +0000
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans to make somelike like http://www.ubuntu.com/phone for OpenBSD?
>
> Thanks.
>
> O.D.

I wonder if it was more possible with Jolla than Ubuntu http://jolla.com

Old NOKIA team with openness in mind.

<Chi>

Re: OpenBSD for mobile

sven falempin
On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Chi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:08:58 +0000
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are there any plans to make somelike like http://www.ubuntu.com/phonefor OpenBSD?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > O.D.
> >

> I wonder if it was more possible with Jolla than Ubuntu http://jolla.com
>
> Old NOKIA team with openness in mind.
>
> --
> <Chi>

I remember the old days when phone can(shalll) be used with only one hands.

/\

OpenBSD for mobile

Jan Lambertz
I thought about a recent device  type (tablet/mobile) mixing with openbsd
for some time. My final thought was: openbsd will need some further dev
work in this direction, but this is what devs do. Problems -> small
Recent device type hardware has to be built and documented with some
direction towards openess (bootloader,firmware,driver,etc). Problems -> huge
Some work can be done on the openbsd side,but without a big change by the
manufactors (they wont) there is no hope.

Here and there small companies come up with an open hardware approach (
openmoko) but the plattforms commonly do not survive.

Re: OpenBSD for mobile

Luca Ferrari
On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Jan Lambertz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here and there small companies come up with an open hardware approach (
> openmoko) but the plattforms commonly do not survive.

I ha dsome hopes related to the Vivaldi tablet
(http://makeplaylive.com/index.html#/open-hardware/vivaldi), even if
it will be based on Linux, it should be "open hardware". The problem
is that in the last year no product has been released....

Luca

Re: OpenBSD for mobile

Mihai Popescu-3
There is a Samsung Tab tablet based on OMAP architecture. Now they have
some model based on Intel. But I think there is more work there to be able
to run OpenBSD on them. And there is no documentation, maybe Samsung will
release it for OMAP model, since it is old now.