OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Bruno Carnazzi
  Hi all,

I'd like to know if someone tried to build a desktop environment on
OpenBSD/i386. I think to rich desktop like Gnome or KDE. Is it hard ?
What's your feedback ?

Best regards,

Bruno.

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Greg Thomas-3
On 2/13/06, Bruno Carnazzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know if someone tried to build a desktop environment on
> OpenBSD/i386. I think to rich desktop like Gnome or KDE. Is it hard ?
> What's your feedback ?

I use WindowMaker on this OpenBSD laptop and couldn't be happier.  My
needs are simple, photo editing including RAW conversion, email, web
browsing, astronomy, listening to music, a little text editing, that's
about it.

Greg

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Bill Chmura-2
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:16:07 +0400
Bruno Carnazzi <[hidden email]> spake:

>   Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know if someone tried to build a desktop environment on
> OpenBSD/i386. I think to rich desktop like Gnome or KDE. Is it hard ?
> What's your feedback ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bruno.

If you mean getting X and KDE running, I am not sure it could be
easier.  I think I have had less problems getting X working with
OpenBSD than I did with Linux.  Look through packages and see if the
desktop apps you want are in there... if so your set.

I don't think its any harder than an OpenBSD install.

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Andreas Bihlmaier-2
On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 12:35:36AM -0500, Bill wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:16:07 +0400
> Bruno Carnazzi <[hidden email]> spake:
>
> >   Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to know if someone tried to build a desktop environment on
> > OpenBSD/i386. I think to rich desktop like Gnome or KDE. Is it hard ?
> > What's your feedback ?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Bruno.
> >

> If you mean getting X and KDE running, I am not sure it could be
> easier.  I think I have had less problems getting X working with
> OpenBSD than I did with Linux.  Look through packages and see if the
> desktop apps you want are in there... if so your set.
>
> I don't think its any harder than an OpenBSD install.

Only think to remember is the lack of OpenOffice in (native) OpenBSD.
Sure there is "gnumeric" and "abiword" as well as "koffice", but I think
it is not an adequate replacement for OO.

Besides that I run OpenBSD on a couple of desktop (PC and Laptop) and
I'm actually quite amazed how smooth it works. (Amazed is meant to
contrast the believe that OpenBSD is good for firewalls, but sucks for
desktop use). It runs pretty darn fast as well.

Regards,
ahb

As always I have to say OpenBSD is a great OS and I'm thankful for every
developer that saved me (and many others) from other(c) OS.

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Chris Kuethe
On 2/13/06, Bruno Carnazzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know if someone tried to build a desktop environment on
> OpenBSD/i386. I think to rich desktop like Gnome or KDE. Is it hard ?
> What's your feedback ?

Add me to the list of satisfied desktop users.

Both my workstation and laptop run openbsd. Because I do have to
interact with the microsoft world I have gnumeric, xlhtml, abiword and
antiword installed. Dia, gnuplot, R, gimp, gaim, firefox,
"bloatzilla", mplayer, xmms, xpdf, xpat2 and gtkpod add more
checkmarks to the list of usual things people want to do with their
peecees.

Thusfar I haven't had to process any microsoft-y documents that
couldn't be handled by abiword or gnumeric. Tell people you're still
using office 97 and you'll be fine.

CK

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Thomas Riboulet
On 2/14/06, Bruno Carnazzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know if someone tried to build a desktop environment on
> OpenBSD/i386. I think to rich desktop like Gnome or KDE. Is it hard ?
> What's your feedback ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bruno.

hi all,

Same here.
OpenBSD stable on a laptop, wonderfull, everything works out of the box.
Using Fluxbox atm, but I've used Gnome too.
Sound, video (including dvds), development (c, ruby, rubyonrails,
perl), office (abiword)

(tried to get openoffice working using linux emul (using :
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:W7h3AF3QyF4J:www.freesource.info/wiki/PhpCoder/drafts/RunningOpenOfficeOnOpenBSD+openoffice_on_openbsd&hl=fr&gl=fr&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=firefox)
without success)

xorg was easy to setup since the IBM T40 is popular and xorg.conf
files are common on the web.

Thanks OpenBSD.

--
Thom/ange
http://ange.librium.org

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Craig McCormick
I've been looking to do this for a while. The only things holding me
back is the lack of nVidia support, but that's just me. I'll be putting
OpenBSD onto a laptop soon and seeing how many of my needs can be met
without having nVidia display drivers in place. It's just multimedia
performance that bothers me. For now I use FreeBSD as a desktop
environment, but this could soon be changing. If DVD and online media
plays smoothly under OpenBSD on the laptop, then I will be taking this
FreeBSD based workstation over to OpenBSD, too.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Best regards,

Craig

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 09:16 +0400, Bruno Carnazzi wrote:
>   Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know if someone tried to build a desktop environment on
> OpenBSD/i386. I think to rich desktop like Gnome or KDE. Is it hard ?
> What's your feedback ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bruno.

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Obi Okeke
Hi Bruno,
I use OpenBSD 3.8 as my work desktop and it is
extremely smooth and a terrific experience.  I'd used
Linux and then FreeBSD for years, but setting up X was
the easiest ever and I have not had a single glitch of
any sort yet (that wasn't due to my own ignorance).  I
run Fluxbox on my 3 yr old Dell, and use Ogle to watch
dvds, opera w/ flash or firefox w/ java to browse the
web.  I also use Kate/Koffice to do word processing,
Perl for development, etc.  I also use a wireless nic,
burn cd's, and even configured my laptop to be a
(rarely used) print and file server for other
Windows/Linux boxes using OpenBSD.  Unfortunately, I
have to occassionaly use a custom Windows app, Lotus
Notes and support another sys admin who uses Linux and
so I've set up a separate Linux machine running
CrossOver Office and I just connect to that Linux box
using Xwindows forwarded over SSH or straight SSH when
I have to.  I also strongly believe using OpenBSD all
of the time now has made me a better Sys Admin
(although I am still learning) and is making the use
and administration of OpenBSD second-nature.

--- Bruno Carnazzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know if someone tried to build a desktop
> environment on
> OpenBSD/i386. I think to rich desktop like Gnome or
> KDE. Is it hard ?
> What's your feedback ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bruno.
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

ea4nz
On 2/14/06, Bruno Carnazzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know if someone tried to build a desktop environment on
> OpenBSD/i386. I think to rich desktop like Gnome or KDE. Is it hard ?
> What's your feedback ?

Bruno.

I think that the best thing you can do is to try and see whether it
can fit your needs.
It works fine for me with fluxbox window manager, firefox,
thunderbird, gnumeric, abiword, gimp, vim and so on. Also tried
openoffice 2.0 under linux emulation and worked just fine. I
uninstalled GNOME because I had an stability problem with gnome-panel
(in 3.8 release). KDE worked fine, just some missing features (some
/proc linux stuff) that I did not investigate further.

I recomend to you to try it and decide yourself. Installing packages
under OpenBSD is a quick and pleasant process.

Regards
Ramiro.

> Best regards,
>
> Bruno.

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Dennis Davis
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Andreas Bihlmaier wrote:

> From: Andreas Bihlmaier <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:14:10 +0100
> Subject: Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

> Only think to remember is the lack of OpenOffice in (native)
> OpenBSD.  Sure there is "gnumeric" and "abiword" as well as
> "koffice", but I think it is not an adequate replacement for OO.

There was some discussion about this on the list some time ago.
Apparently the Linux version works OK in compatability mode.  I
installed this version on my i386 OpenBSD machine.  I haven't used
it -- other than to verify soffice fires up -- so I can't say how
well it works.

I followed the instructions from a web page that seems to have
vanished.  So here's the steps I took.

You'll obviously need the Redhat libraries
(/usr/ports/emulators/redhat) installed.  And have:

kern.emul.linux=1

set in /etc/sysctl.conf.

Touched /emul/linux/etc/mnttab to create it as an empty file.

Added:

#
# For OpenOffice in Linux compatability mode.
/proc /proc procfs rw,linux 0 0

to /etc/fstab.

Created and mounted /proc.

Created the directory OOo_2.0.0, untarred
OOo_2.0.0_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz in this directory to create all
the RPMs.

Created /opt as a soft link to /usr/local.

Installed the software by typing:

/emul/linux/bin/rpm --nodeps --ignoreos --ignorearch -ivh *.rpm

Programs are installed in /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/s*. For
instance the text editor is /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/swriter
and the main app is /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice.

The web page then said:

  If programs don't start and if you have a Java virtual machine,
  temporarily disable it (chmod 0 /usr/local/jdk*), then start
  OpenOffice. You can then re-enable Java (chmod 755 /usr/local/jdk*)
  and keep it that way.

but I'm not running with a Java virtual machine so it's
not a problem I've experienced.
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
[hidden email]               Phone: +44 1225 386101

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Michael Erdely
On 2/14/06, Bruno Carnazzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like to know if someone tried to build a desktop environment on
> OpenBSD/i386. I think to rich desktop like Gnome or KDE. Is it hard ?
> What's your feedback ?

I'm using amd64 on a Compaq Presario SR1720NX.
X -configure worked great to set up the xorg.conf.

I use icewm as a window manager.  Very fast.  Very clean.  Very simple.

I use firefox, mutt, thunderbird, xmms, abiword, xpdf, xmms, gaim,
ogle, vnc-viewer, rdesktop.

Rock solid.  Fast.  Stable.

--
http://erdelynet.com/
Support OpenBSD! http://www.openbsd.org/orders.html

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Bruno Costa-2
Hello Bruno,

my old intel-466 machine is running OBSD for a while. Before I tried
the first time, I was afraid about the complexities involved in the
task of making OBSD a desktop environment. but when you have time to
learn, everything becomes easier. it's now working smoothly for me
with fluxbox, abiword, firefox and plone/zope/python...  it's just the
beginning. More time i have, more i'll work on that task. I have just
a problem when i logout X, my video gets black and i need to reboot
it.  I read a comment pointing out this problem is related to the
driver.  btw, anyone know what is it, my card is a GeForce 2 MX400?
when i get home i send my dmesg. But for now, does anyone know?

thanks

Bruno Costa

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

ea4nz
> There was some discussion about this on the list some time ago.
> Apparently the Linux version works OK in compatability mode.  I
> installed this version on my i386 OpenBSD machine.  I haven't used
> it -- other than to verify soffice fires up -- so I can't say how
> well it works.

Yes, that was the paper I followed and It works fine. However,  I have
not tested it in depth.

I do not want to start a flame war here, but I would like to know why
there is not a native OpenOffice port  for OpenBSD. I mean, the
technicall resons, I am not a programmer and I would like to know it.
Just curious.

Thanks

Ramiro.

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

dreamwvr

because you haven't ported it yet.. You see someone has to do it. :)

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:11:42PM +0000, Dennis Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Andreas Bihlmaier wrote:

<snip>

> There was some discussion about this on the list some time ago.
> Apparently the Linux version works OK in compatability mode.  I
> installed this version on my i386 OpenBSD machine.  I haven't used
> it -- other than to verify soffice fires up -- so I can't say how
> well it works.
>
> I followed the instructions from a web page that seems to have
> vanished.  So here's the steps I took.
>
> You'll obviously need the Redhat libraries
> (/usr/ports/emulators/redhat) installed.  And have:
>
> kern.emul.linux=1
>
> set in /etc/sysctl.conf.
>
> Touched /emul/linux/etc/mnttab to create it as an empty file.

/emul/linux/etc/mtab

> Added:
>
> #
> # For OpenOffice in Linux compatability mode.
> /proc /proc procfs rw,linux 0 0
>
> to /etc/fstab.
>
> Created and mounted /proc.
>
> Created the directory OOo_2.0.0, untarred
> OOo_2.0.0_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz in this directory to create all
> the RPMs.
>
> Created /opt as a soft link to /usr/local.

ln -s /usr/local /emul/linux/opt

> Installed the software by typing:
>
> /emul/linux/bin/rpm --nodeps --ignoreos --ignorearch -ivh *.rpm
>
> Programs are installed in /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/s*. For
> instance the text editor is /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/swriter
> and the main app is /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice.
>
> The web page then said:
>
>   If programs don't start and if you have a Java virtual machine,
>   temporarily disable it (chmod 0 /usr/local/jdk*), then start
>   OpenOffice. You can then re-enable Java (chmod 755 /usr/local/jdk*)
>   and keep it that way.
>
> but I'm not running with a Java virtual machine so it's
> not a problem I've experienced.
> --
> Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
> [hidden email]               Phone: +44 1225 386101

I don't want to be picky corrections are just for the archives.
Besides that:
THANK YOU!

Couldn't there be a short entry in the FAQ about
"How to get OpenOffice to run on OpenBSD i386"
because I think that there is quite a bunch of people that want to run
OO on OpenBSD.

Sadly this is not going to work for amd64, but otherwise it seems to
work quite well under linux emulation.

Regards,
ahb

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Antonios Anastasiadis
I remember there was a (big) effort to patch the oo sources so as to
work natively in openbsd.
I guess the port has stalled a bit since then.But I may be wrong as well.
If anyone knows about it it would be kind of him to enlighten us also.

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Stefan Wollny
Antonios Anastasiadis <[hidden email]> schrieb am 15.02.06 13:56:21:

> I remember there was a (big) effort to patch the oo sources so as to
> work natively in openbsd.
> I guess the port has stalled a bit since then.But I may be wrong as well.
> If anyone knows about it it would be kind of him to enlighten us also.

Hi,

there was a thread last year here on misc@ on how to get the Linux version of OOo running on OpenBSD. Using the hints in this thread I succeded in getting to OOo to run on my laptop. Have a look at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=112984281031654&w=2)

I posted this on www.bsdforums.org where you find additional infos:
http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34613

In particular you might be interested in the following link pointing to a port and a package of OOo 2.0.1:
http://www.rommel.stw.uni-erlangen.de/~guebbbi/

Cheers,
SteWo

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type APPLICATION/DEFANGED which had a name of Stefan Wollny.13428DEFANGED-vcf]

Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

Antonios Anastasiadis
I know it runs via emulation, I was talking about a native port.
I found where it was mentioned:

http://cvs.openbsd.org/papers/ven05-pvalchev/

On 2/14/06, dreamwvr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 07:13:47PM +0100, Ramiro Aceves wrote:
> > > There was some discussion about this on the list some time ago.
> > > Apparently the Linux version works OK in compatability mode.  I
> > > installed this version on my i386 OpenBSD machine.  I haven't used
> > > it -- other than to verify soffice fires up -- so I can't say how
> > > well it works.
> >
> > Yes, that was the paper I followed and It works fine. However,  I have
> > not tested it in depth.
> >
> > I do not want to start a flame war here, but I would like to know why
> > there is not a native OpenOffice port  for OpenBSD. I mean, the
> > technicall resons, I am not a programmer and I would like to know it.
>
> because you haven't ported it yet.. You see someone has to do it. :)

Thanks, I am not able to do it, my programming skills are limited,
that is why I am asking for the reason of not having a native
OpenOffice port.

Thank you.
Ramiro.

On 2/15/06, Antonios Anastasiadis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know it runs via emulation, I was talking about a native port.
> I found where it was mentioned:
>
> http://cvs.openbsd.org/papers/ven05-pvalchev/

Interesting the malloc thing! Thank you very much for the information-

Ramiro.

12