OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

Alan McKay
This is very interesting - I've been looking at various small boxes
like this to use as a home firewall.
The only problem is that not many of them have 2 NICs, and the ones
that do are very expensive (higher end Zotac)

Does anyone know of a similar device with 2 NICs that might be
suitable as a home firewall?

What about one of the Open Firmware firewalls like ASUS?  Is there an
OpenBSD load for those?  Instead of Tomato or the likes ...

Re: OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

Gene-46
On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Alan McKay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is very interesting - I've been looking at various small boxes
> like this to use as a home firewall.
> The only problem is that not many of them have 2 NICs, and the ones
> that do are very expensive (higher end Zotac)
>
> Does anyone know of a similar device with 2 NICs that might be
> suitable as a home firewall?

Look into the PC Engines ALIX and APU system boards. You can get kits for
under $200, or sometimes for less on eBay.

http://www.pcengines.ch

Great hardware.  I have a couple of the ALIX boards.  The APU series has
gigabit NICs and a lot more horse power.  If you search the mailing list
you'll see several mentions for it.

> What about one of the Open Firmware firewalls like ASUS?  Is there an
> OpenBSD load for those?  Instead of Tomato or the likes ...

-Gene
(p.s. I'm bad at mailing lists and didn't reply all last time, I apologise
for emailing you twice, Alan).

Re: OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

chester.t.field
The lovable scamp Ted Unangst posted about a box with dual broadcoms, Atom CPU, DDR3 RAM, etc for $129 on his blog:

http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/new-home-router

-Chester

"Enjoy those tacos now, for in a thousand years they will be illegal! Ha ha ha ha-I think we all know why."  - Benjamin Franklin

On 12/3/2014 at 11:09 AM, "Gene" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Alan McKay <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> This is very interesting - I've been looking at various small
>boxes
>> like this to use as a home firewall.
>> The only problem is that not many of them have 2 NICs, and the
>ones
>> that do are very expensive (higher end Zotac)
>>
>> Does anyone know of a similar device with 2 NICs that might be
>> suitable as a home firewall?
>>

>Look into the PC Engines ALIX and APU system boards. You can get
>kits for
>under $200, or sometimes for less on eBay.
>
>http://www.pcengines.ch
>
>Great hardware.  I have a couple of the ALIX boards.  The APU
>series has
>gigabit NICs and a lot more horse power.  If you search the
>mailing list
>you'll see several mentions for it.
>

>> What about one of the Open Firmware firewalls like ASUS?  Is
>there an
>> OpenBSD load for those?  Instead of Tomato or the likes ...
>>

>-Gene
>(p.s. I'm bad at mailing lists and didn't reply all last time, I
>apologise
>for emailing you twice, Alan).

Re: OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

Gene-46
I have one of those.  Ran pfSense on it for 9 months and worked great,
until one of the built-in NICs died.

I've since repurposed the system as a Xen host, the last NIC hasn't died
yet, but I can't really recommend it.

-Gene

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Chester T. Field <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The lovable scamp Ted Unangst posted about a box with dual broadcoms, Atom
> CPU, DDR3 RAM, etc for $129 on his blog:
>
> http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/new-home-router
>
> -Chester
>
> "Enjoy those tacos now, for in a thousand years they will be illegal! Ha
> ha ha ha-I think we all know why."  - Benjamin Franklin
>
> On 12/3/2014 at 11:09 AM, "Gene" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Alan McKay <[hidden email]>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> This is very interesting - I've been looking at various small
> >boxes
> >> like this to use as a home firewall.
> >> The only problem is that not many of them have 2 NICs, and the
> >ones
> >> that do are very expensive (higher end Zotac)
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of a similar device with 2 NICs that might be
> >> suitable as a home firewall?
> >>

> >Look into the PC Engines ALIX and APU system boards. You can get
> >kits for
> >under $200, or sometimes for less on eBay.
> >
> >http://www.pcengines.ch
> >
> >Great hardware.  I have a couple of the ALIX boards.  The APU
> >series has
> >gigabit NICs and a lot more horse power.  If you search the
> >mailing list
> >you'll see several mentions for it.
> >

> >> What about one of the Open Firmware firewalls like ASUS?  Is
> >there an
> >> OpenBSD load for those?  Instead of Tomato or the likes ...
> >>

> >-Gene
> >(p.s. I'm bad at mailing lists and didn't reply all last time, I
> >apologise
> >for emailing you twice, Alan).

Re: OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

Chris Cappuccio
Alan McKay [[hidden email]] wrote:

> This is very interesting - I've been looking at various small boxes
> like this to use as a home firewall.
> The only problem is that not many of them have 2 NICs, and the ones
> that do are very expensive (higher end Zotac)
>
> Does anyone know of a similar device with 2 NICs that might be
> suitable as a home firewall?
>
> What about one of the Open Firmware firewalls like ASUS?  Is there an
> OpenBSD load for those?  Instead of Tomato or the likes ...

A lot of these $40 routers are based on some kind of MIPS CPU.

For ones that lack MMU or floating-point, Linux is it.

Other ones that have MMU and FP can run OpenBSD, although significant
porting effort is required. And they have 8MB to 16MB flash, which means
you are running a ramdisk kernel and that's about it.

The Octeon port supports the Ubiquiti $99 USD model but you don't get
local storage until USB is finished. That is a more ideal platform
for a complete OpenBSD environment.

Chris

Re: OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

Jason Adams
On 12/03/2014 09:49 AM, Alan McKay wrote:

> This is very interesting - I've been looking at various small boxes
> like this to use as a home firewall.
> The only problem is that not many of them have 2 NICs, and the ones
> that do are very expensive (higher end Zotac)
>
> Does anyone know of a similar device with 2 NICs that might be
> suitable as a home firewall?
>
> What about one of the Open Firmware firewalls like ASUS?  Is there an
> OpenBSD load for those?  Instead of Tomato or the likes ...

I've been looking at this one http://amzn.com/B00M8MNF4G
Its overkill, because I want it to handle other tasks (email) as well as a firewall.

I've not purchased or installed it yet.

Re: OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Alan McKay wrote:
> This is very interesting - I've been looking at various small boxes
> like this to use as a home firewall.
> The only problem is that not many of them have 2 NICs, and the ones
> that do are very expensive (higher end Zotac)
>
> Does anyone know of a similar device with 2 NICs that might be
> suitable as a home firewall?

As I have written many times - used thin clients are available in huge
numbers as scrap. Many of them have a PCI or PCIe slot, so adding a
second NIC is easy. I often use thin clients with a Compaq 2- or 4-port
NIC. Total cost about 15-20 euros.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Mikkel C. Simonsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As I have written many times - used thin clients are available in huge
> numbers as scrap. Many of them have a PCI or PCIe slot, so adding a second
> NIC is easy. I often use thin clients with a Compaq 2- or 4-port NIC. Total
> cost about 15-20 euros.

That's interesting - what soft of brand name or product name would I search for?
I'm not really familiar with any thin clients

--
"Don't eat anything you've ever seen advertised on TV"

Re: OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

Martin Schröder

Yes. There are archives of this list.

Re: OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

Alan McKay
I see one of  these on my local kijiji but can't tell whether or not
it has a PCI slot.  It is not on the hardware list of that parkytowers
site

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/12454-12454-321959-338927-5112717-5295294.html?dnr=2

Re: OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

Vivek Vinod
Sorry for speaking out of turn and adding a bit of noise. A non-techie mind like mine would like to think, "why not have a router which can work both as a home router and work router?"

We have been using Mikrotik routerboards‎ since 7 years and have been very happy with those. Wouldn't it be good to take a look at similar boards with multiple NICs? Costing ranges from 100 to 200 $

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

for emailing you twice, Alan).

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Vivek Vinod <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have been using Mikrotik routerboards since 7 years

Huh?  With OpenBSD on them?

--
"Don't eat anything you've ever seen advertised on TV"

Re: OpenBSD embedded?

Brad Smith-14
On 12/04/14 07:05, Alan McKay wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Vivek Vinod <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We have been using Mikrotik routerboards since 7 years
>
> Huh?  With OpenBSD on them?

There are 3 PowerPC based RouterBOARDs. AFAIK the RB600 is supported
at the moment by the socppc port.

The RB800 and RB850Gx2 boards would probably be relatively easy to add
support for.

believed to be clean.

Re: OpenBSD embedded?

Russell Sutherland
Does anyone know if the Dual-Core 500 MHz, MIPS64 board that is used in
the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter family,
has been used as an OpenBSD platform? I know there is development on the
octeon http://www.openbsd.org/octeon.html
platforms, but not sure if the port was actually usable.

--
Russell Sutherland  I+TS
email:    [hidden email]

On 2014-12-04, 7:53 AM, "Brad Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 12/04/14 07:05, Alan McKay wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Vivek Vinod <[hidden email]>
>>wrote:
>>> We have been using Mikrotik routerboards since 7 years
>>
>> Huh?  With OpenBSD on them?
>
>There are 3 PowerPC based RouterBOARDs. AFAIK the RB600 is supported
>at the moment by the socppc port.
>
>The RB800 and RB850Gx2 boards would probably be relatively easy to add
>support for.

>believed to be clean.

Re: OpenBSD embedded?

Matthew Weigel
On 12/4/14, 6:53 AM, Brad Smith wrote:

> On 12/04/14 07:05, Alan McKay wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Vivek Vinod <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> We have been using Mikrotik routerboards since 7 years
>>
>> Huh?  With OpenBSD on them?
>
> There are 3 PowerPC based RouterBOARDs. AFAIK the RB600 is supported
> at the moment by the socppc port.
>
> The RB800 and RB850Gx2 boards would probably be relatively easy to add
> support for.

I wish. :-(  They both have e500v2 PowerPC cores in them, which have a
different floating point unit from the e300 (the core supported by
socppc), meaning the powerpc binaries shared by socppc and macppc can't
run on those boards... never mind the Book E changes required in the
kernel.

Later Power cores (e500mc, e5500, e6500) revert the FPU, so I think
they 'should' be able to share arch/powerpc binaries, but a) nobody
(including me) has done the necessary work in the kernel to run on
them, and b) I'm not aware of hardware such as RouterBoards that use
the newer cores.
--
  Matthew Weigel
  hacker
  unique & idempot . ent

Re: OpenBSD embedded?

Chris Cappuccio
Russell Sutherland [[hidden email]] wrote:
> Does anyone know if the Dual-Core 500 MHz, MIPS64 board that is used in
> the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter family,
> has been used as an OpenBSD platform? I know there is development on the
> octeon http://www.openbsd.org/octeon.html
> platforms, but not sure if the port was actually usable.

The port is going to be more usable if it gets USB support. Right now
you have to net boot.

Re: OpenBSD embedded?

Russell Sutherland
ThanksŠ And may I assume with net booting saving local customizations
(firewall rules, network configuration, etc.)
is a bit awkward, as there is no local storage?

--
Russell Sutherland  I+TS
email:    [hidden email]

On 2014-12-04, 12:05 PM, "Chris Cappuccio" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Russell Sutherland [[hidden email]] wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the Dual-Core 500 MHz, MIPS64 board that is used in
>> the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter family,
>> has been used as an OpenBSD platform? I know there is development on the
>> octeon http://www.openbsd.org/octeon.html
>> platforms, but not sure if the port was actually usable.
>>

>The port is going to be more usable if it gets USB support. Right now
>you have to net boot.

Re: OpenBSD embedded?

Chris Cappuccio
Russell Sutherland [[hidden email]] wrote:
> Thanks? And may I assume with net booting saving local customizations
> (firewall rules, network configuration, etc.)
> is a bit awkward, as there is no local storage?

Your NFS server presents a unique /etc for the machine. I'd rather have
a firewall not depend on another server, IMO.

Re: OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

Matthew Mulrooney-2
> The lovable scamp Ted Unangst posted about a box with dual broadcoms, Atom CPU, DDR3 RAM, etc for $129 on his blog:
>
> http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/new-home-router
>
> -Chester
>
> "Enjoy those tacos now, for in a thousand years they will be illegal! Ha ha ha ha-I think we all know why."  - Benjamin Franklin

My ideal would be to find an inexpensive, VLAN-capable (802.1q) switch (ideally Gigabit - we now have local broadband exceeding 100Mbps).

Then, we’re not constrained by the number of ethernet ports on our device of choice, or whether we can shoe-horn in another NIC.

My typical ports allocations on the VLAN switch:
1 - OpenBSD device
2 - DSL/Cable modem (upstream)
3 - LAN
4 - Wireless access point

Thoughts?

Matt

Re: OpenBSD embedded? (was: OpenBSD 5.6-current on ASUS Chromebox)

Jim Rowan
On Dec 3, 2014, at 11:49 AM, Alan McKay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a similar device with 2 NICs that might be
> suitable as a home firewall?

If inexpensive is interesting and you don’t mind doing some minor HW assembly, you might want to look into NeoWare CA22 (as I recall the CA2 model is another option); they’re older “thin-client" boxes.  They have a fanless 1Ghz via c7 … one PCI slot, and idle about 12W (max I think is about 18).  You can find them on Ebay for ~$25.  Pick up a PCI riser, a dual port intel board, and you have a pretty nice firewall for well under $50.

OpenBSD 5.6-stable (FLASHRD) #72: Sat Oct 11 13:37:21 MDT 2014
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/FLASHRD
cpu0: VIA C7 Processor 1000MHz ("CentaurHauls" 686-class) 1 GHz
cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,CMOV,PAT,CFLUSH,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,TM,PBE,NXE,SSE3,EST,TM2,xTPR
real mem  = 518418432 (494MB)
avail mem = 496074752 (473MB)
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 01/22/08, BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xfb180, SMBIOS rev. 2.3 @ 0xf0800 (33 entries)
bios0: vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD version "6.00 PG" date 01/22/2008
bios0: Neoware Inc. Thin Client
acpi0 at bios0: rev 0
acpi0: sleep states S0 S1 S4 S5
acpi0: tables DSDT FACP
acpi0: wakeup devices PCI0(S5) USB0(S3) USB1(S3) USB2(S3) USB3(S3) USB4(S3) USB5(S3) USB6(S3) USB7(S3) LAN0(S5) AC97(S5) UAR1(S5)
acpitimer0 at acpi0: 3579545 Hz, 24 bits
acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
acpicpu0 at acpi0
acpibtn0 at acpi0: PWRB
bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0xda00 0xd0000/0x1800
cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support, 8 var ranges, 88 fixed ranges
cpu0: RNG AES AES-CTR SHA1 SHA256 RSA
cpu0: unknown Enhanced SpeedStep CPU, msr 0x08100a1308000a13
cpu0: using only highest and lowest power states
cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep 998 MHz: speeds: 1333, 1067 MHz
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (bios)
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "VIA CN700 Host" rev 0x00
viaagp0 at pchb0: v3
agp0 at viaagp0: aperture at 0xe8000000, size 0x10000000
pchb1 at pci0 dev 0 function 1 "VIA CN700 Host" rev 0x00
pchb2 at pci0 dev 0 function 2 "VIA CN700 Host" rev 0x00
pchb3 at pci0 dev 0 function 3 "VIA PT890 Host" rev 0x00
pchb4 at pci0 dev 0 function 4 "VIA CN700 Host" rev 0x00
pchb5 at pci0 dev 0 function 7 "VIA CN700 Host" rev 0x00
ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "VIA VT8377 AGP" rev 0x00
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "VIA S3 Unichrome PRO IGP" rev 0x01
vga1: aperture needed
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
em0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0 "Intel 82546EB" rev 0x01: irq 11, address 00:11:0a:5f:eb:34
em1 at pci0 dev 8 function 1 "Intel 82546EB" rev 0x01: irq 10, address 00:11:0a:5f:eb:35
pciide0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0 "VIA VT82C571 IDE" rev 0x06: ATA133, channel 0 configured to compatibility, channel 1 configured to compatibility
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <TS2GCF133>
wd0: 1-sector PIO, LBA, 1911MB, 3915072 sectors
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 4
pciide0: channel 1 disabled (no drives)
uhci0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 "VIA VT83C572 USB" rev 0x81: irq 11
uhci1 at pci0 dev 16 function 1 "VIA VT83C572 USB" rev 0x81: irq 11
uhci2 at pci0 dev 16 function 2 "VIA VT83C572 USB" rev 0x81: irq 10
uhci3 at pci0 dev 16 function 3 "VIA VT83C572 USB" rev 0x81: irq 10
ehci0 at pci0 dev 16 function 4 "VIA VT6202 USB" rev 0x86: irq 5
usb0 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub0 at usb0 "VIA EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
viapm0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0 "VIA VT8237 ISA" rev 0x00: SMI
iic0 at viapm0
spdmem0 at iic0 addr 0x50: 512MB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-5300CL5 SO-DIMM
auvia0 at pci0 dev 17 function 5 "VIA VT8233 AC97" rev 0x60: irq 5
ac97: codec id 0x56494161 (VIA Technologies VT1612A)
ac97: codec features headphone, 18 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, KS Waves 3D
audio0 at auvia0
vr0 at pci0 dev 18 function 0 "VIA RhineII-2" rev 0x78: irq 11, address 00:e0:c5:48:89:d1
ukphy0 at vr0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface, rev. 10: OUI 0x004063, model 0x0032
usb1 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub1 at usb1 "VIA UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
usb2 at uhci1: USB revision 1.0
uhub2 at usb2 "VIA UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
usb3 at uhci2: USB revision 1.0
uhub3 at usb3 "VIA UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
usb4 at uhci3: USB revision 1.0
uhub4 at usb4 "VIA UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
isa0 at mainbus0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
com0: console
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8/8 irq 3: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
spkr0 at pcppi0
lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378/4 irq 7
wbsio0 at isa0 port 0x2e/2: W83697HF rev 0x12
lm1 at wbsio0 port 0x290/8: W83697HF
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
vscsi0 at root
scsibus1 at vscsi0: 256 targets
softraid0 at root
scsibus2 at softraid0: 256 targets