OpenBSD developers view on ARM versus x86, ppc etc etc

OpenBSD developers view on ARM versus x86, ppc etc etc

Haroon Khalid
In general do most programmers consider ARM to be something cool to program
for? Eg. compared to programming for older arch eg. x86 or PPC? Or does it
not really matter? I only know basic high level programming so I still do
not understand low-level programming.  I just wanted to know with all the
popularity of ARM, has anything changed or its pretty much the same?

Is ARM completely open with OpenBSD developers can just make a phone call,
email, or look up some general site to get going or is it hell getting info
since there is still lots of control?

Which is the easiest arch OpenBSD developers consider thats easily able to
dev for? Which stands out?

Thanks

--Haroon

Re: OpenBSD developers view on ARM versus x86, ppc etc etc

Rob Sciuk

Arm's dominance in the embedded sphere is based upon it's licensable ISA.
It is a proprietary instruction set architecture, which can be licensed by
any chip manufacturer, and embedded into SoC's for a fee.

In the offing is the new RISC-V architecture, which is an open source ISA,
(32, 64 and 128bit instruction sets are defined) and is just beginning to
appear in FPGA designs.  As manufacturer's begin to produce RISC-V chips
and SoC's, I think that the instruction set will be a bit more tractable
than the Arm's, and compilers and tool chains will follow swiftly.  This
is a year or two off, however, and for now, Arm designs are predominant in
the embedded space, but it may not be that way forever.

IMHO
Cheers,
Rob.

--
Robert Sciuk                                                          [hidden email]