OpenBSD and virtual machines

Galaxy Júpiter
Why OpenBSD now have their own native virtualisation layer?

Reference: http://man.openbsd.org/vmd

Why Theo de Raadt changed your opinion about virtual machines?

What is the current opinion of Theo de Raadt about virtual machines?

Re: OpenBSD and virtual machines

Consus-2
On 16:37 Mon 08 Jan, Galaxy Júpiter wrote:
> Why OpenBSD now have their own native virtualisation layer?
> Why Theo de Raadt changed your opinion about virtual machines?
> What is the current opinion of Theo de Raadt about virtual machines?

What does Theo de Raadt eat for breakfast?

Re: OpenBSD and virtual machines

Edgar Pettijohn III-2

On Jan 8, 2018 2:07 PM, Consus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16:37 Mon 08 Jan, Galaxy Júpiter wrote:
> > Why OpenBSD now have their own native virtualisation layer?
> > Why Theo de Raadt changed your opinion about virtual machines?
> > What is the current opinion of Theo de Raadt about virtual machines?
>
> What does Theo de Raadt eat for breakfast?

I'm betting Wheaties.

Re: OpenBSD and virtual machines

Ve Telko
Edgar, Consus ... are you jealous? ;)

08.01.2018, 21:28, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:
> On Jan 8, 2018 2:07 PM, Consus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  On 16:37 Mon 08 Jan, Galaxy Júpiter wrote:
>>  > Why OpenBSD now have their own native virtualisation layer?
>>  > Why Theo de Raadt changed your opinion about virtual machines?
>>  > What is the current opinion of Theo de Raadt about virtual machines?
>>
>>  What does Theo de Raadt eat for breakfast?
>
> I'm betting Wheaties.

Re: OpenBSD and virtual machines

Sterling Archer
On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:07 PM, Consus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 16:37 Mon 08 Jan, Galaxy Júpiter wrote:
>> Why OpenBSD now have their own native virtualisation layer?
>> Why Theo de Raadt changed your opinion about virtual machines?
>> What is the current opinion of Theo de Raadt about virtual machines?
>
> What does Theo de Raadt eat for breakfast?

Trolls.

:wq!

Re: OpenBSD and virtual machines

Gordon Grieder

> On Jan 8, 2018, at 3:14 PM, Sterling Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:07 PM, Consus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 16:37 Mon 08 Jan, Galaxy Júpiter wrote:
>>> Why OpenBSD now have their own native virtualisation layer?
>>> Why Theo de Raadt changed your opinion about virtual machines?
>>> What is the current opinion of Theo de Raadt about virtual machines?
>>
>> What does Theo de Raadt eat for breakfast?
>>

> Trolls.
>
> --
> :wq!

Sprinkled with product from the "baby mulching machines"

(I still LOL over that one)

Re: OpenBSD and virtual machines

Steve Litt
On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 22:14:25 +0100
Sterling Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:07 PM, Consus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 16:37 Mon 08 Jan, Galaxy Júpiter wrote:
> >> Why OpenBSD now have their own native virtualisation layer?
> >> Why Theo de Raadt changed your opinion about virtual machines?
> >> What is the current opinion of Theo de Raadt about virtual
> >> machines?
> >
> > What does Theo de Raadt eat for breakfast?

Even trolls have their use. In the fall of 2014 I assumed that OpenBSD
was my escape hatch to avoid Systemd. Then I found out that OpenBSD's
qemu didn't have the stuff to use the processor hardware to speed
things up (Linux types seem to call this ability "KVM", and an AMD
processor can do it if and only if the processor has the "svm" flag),
which made virtual machines useless.

So I moved my business to Void Linux.

Virtual machines are pretty much necessary, because no matter what
distribution of what OS you run, there are always those one or two apps
you can't get from the package manager and can't compile, so you need
to use a VM. The first six months I used Void Linux I ran LyX on a
Ubuntu VM to compile my books.

If this new VM system comprised of vmd and vmm and vmctl does what qemu
does AND implements the machine's hardware to do normal hardware
processing to attain reasonable speeds, then I have an excellent
alternative.

So, does this new OpenBSD virtual machine system have hardware
acceleration?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive

Re: OpenBSD and virtual machines

Stuart Henderson

Yes.

On 22:14 Mon 08 Jan, Sterling Archer wrote:
> Trolls.

High-fat food is no good for one's health!

Re: OpenBSD and virtual machines

Andrew-2
>Virtual machines are pretty much necessary, because no matter what
>distribution of what OS you run, there are always those one or two apps
>you can't get from the package manager and can't compile, so you need
>to use a VM. The first six months I used Void Linux I ran LyX on a
>Ubuntu VM to compile my books.

LyX is in packages. No need for a penguin, a vm, or both unless you want
a penguin, a vm or both. But why would you want a penguin, a vm or both
when all you have to do is:

pkg_add lyx

;-)

Re: OpenBSD and virtual machines

Steve Litt
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 08:11:11 -0700
Andrew <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >Virtual machines are pretty much necessary, because no matter what
> >distribution of what OS you run, there are always those one or two
> >apps you can't get from the package manager and can't compile, so
> >you need to use a VM. The first six months I used Void Linux I ran
> >LyX on a Ubuntu VM to compile my books.
>
> LyX is in packages. No need for a penguin, a vm,

The LyX thing was just an example. For whatever reason, my books failed
to compile when switching from Debian to Void. It turned out to be a
font thing I fixed by using equivalent fonts. But the point is, there's
always THAT piece of software that can't run on a given OS, but you
need it.