OpenBSD VPS Providers

Some Developer
Hi,

I'm looking for a VPS provider that supports OpenBSD (preferably the
latest version). I've obviously found a few but what I really want is
easy to create and destroy instances in the same way you can on Digital
Ocean and Linode (which I use for my Linux boxes).

An API for automatic creation and destruction of virtual machines would
be fantastic and if I was being really picky a European location for the
servers.

Does anyone have any suggestions and recommendations? I'd rather use a
provider that has some positive customer reviews from this list. Some of
the available options from a Google search look a bit shabby (I could be
completely wrong and they are excellent companies I'm just basing it on
what I can see).

I'll be using this box as a VPN server.

Re: OpenBSD VPS Providers

Marko M.
Hi,

You may try: https://www.transip.eu They offer both OpenBSD and FreeBSD. I
have been using their VPS with FreeBSD for a couple of years. They offer
rather cheap and really good service.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Some Developer <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a VPS provider that supports OpenBSD (preferably the
> latest version). I've obviously found a few but what I really want is easy
> to create and destroy instances in the same way you can on Digital Ocean
> and Linode (which I use for my Linux boxes).
>
> An API for automatic creation and destruction of virtual machines would be
> fantastic and if I was being really picky a European location for the
> servers.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions and recommendations? I'd rather use a
> provider that has some positive customer reviews from this list. Some of
> the available options from a Google search look a bit shabby (I could be
> completely wrong and they are excellent companies I'm just basing it on
> what I can see).
>
> I'll be using this box as a VPN server.

Re: OpenBSD VPS Providers

Francisco Valladolid H.
Hi.

The following list of ISP also provide OpenBSD.

http://www.bsdvm.com
http://www.arpnetworks.com

Regards.

--
Francisco Valladolid H.
 -- http://blog.bsdguy.net - Jesus Christ follower.

Re: OpenBSD VPS Providers

James Records
Hi,

Take a look at www.hermetek.com  I've used them for OpenBSD hosting, they
were great and very flexible.

Best

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Francisco Valladolid H.
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi.
>
> The following list of ISP also provide OpenBSD.
>
> http://www.bsdvm.com
> http://www.arpnetworks.com
>
> Regards.
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 5:11 AM, Marko M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > You may try: https://www.transip.eu They offer both OpenBSD and
> FreeBSD. I
> > have been using their VPS with FreeBSD for a couple of years. They offer
> > rather cheap and really good service.
> >

> > On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Some Developer <
> [hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a VPS provider that supports OpenBSD (preferably the
> >> latest version). I've obviously found a few but what I really want is
> easy
> >> to create and destroy instances in the same way you can on Digital Ocean
> >> and Linode (which I use for my Linux boxes).
> >>
> >> An API for automatic creation and destruction of virtual machines would
> be
> >> fantastic and if I was being really picky a European location for the
> >> servers.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any suggestions and recommendations? I'd rather use a
> >> provider that has some positive customer reviews from this list. Some of
> >> the available options from a Google search look a bit shabby (I could be
> >> completely wrong and they are excellent companies I'm just basing it on
> >> what I can see).
> >>
> >> I'll be using this box as a VPN server.
> >

> --
> Francisco Valladolid H.
>  -- http://blog.bsdguy.net - Jesus Christ follower.

Re: OpenBSD VPS Providers

Brett Mahar-3
| > easy

| > be

Just as a general VPS, I've been using http://www.ransomit.com.au/ for a couple of months and they've been great for my openbsd mailserver/webserver. They have an openbsd 5.3 iso for install which I used to install a new bsd.rd and then install -current.

They respond quickly to questions so may be able to help you with your further requirements.

Cheers,
Brett.

Re: OpenBSD VPS Providers

opendaddy
On 11. desember 2013 at 11:03 AM, "Some Developer"  wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for a VPS provider that supports OpenBSD (preferably the
latest version). I've obviously found a few but what I really want is
easy to create and destroy instances in the same way you can on
Digital
Ocean and Linode (which I use for my Linux boxes).

We're all pretty much waiting for Digital Ocean. Unless it's a cloud,
it's a no-go in my book.

https://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digital-ocean/suggestions/3232571-support-bsd-os-

O.D.
An API for automatic creation and destruction of virtual machines
would
be fantastic and if I was being really picky a European location for
the
servers.

Does anyone have any suggestions and recommendations? I'd rather use a

provider that has some positive customer reviews from this list. Some
of
the available options from a Google search look a bit shabby (I could
be
completely wrong and they are excellent companies I'm just basing it
on
what I can see).

I'll be using this box as a VPN server.

Re: OpenBSD VPS Providers

Matthew Dempsky-3
[Disclosure: I work for Google, but not on Compute Engine.]

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Some Developer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a VPS provider that supports OpenBSD (preferably the latest
> version).

I got OpenBSD working on Google Compute Engine, but I haven't
committed the vioscsi(4) driver yet or documented the steps involved.
Once that's done (probably in a week; I'm swamped right now), you
should be able to create an OpenBSD image for Compute Engine from an
official snapshot.

(If you're interested, feel free to start nagging me about this next Monday.)

> An API for automatic creation and destruction of virtual machines would be
> fantastic and if I was being really picky a European location for the
> servers.

Compute Engine has an API for creating/destroying
disks/images/instances/etc
(https://developers.google.com/compute/docs/reference/latest/), and
offers VMs in Europe.

Re: OpenBSD VPS Providers

James Shupe-4
On 12/11/2013 10:45 AM, James Records wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Take a look at www.hermetek.com  I've used them for OpenBSD hosting, they
> were great and very flexible.
>
> Best

Thanks for the mention; we always appreciate it.

We don't offer the APIs or host control the op is looking for, and we're
not likely to in the near future. That being said, this is decision we
made because virtulization and shared hardware already present risks of
their own; no need to add to them with APIs and unmonitored hypervisor
and/or network operations. Anybody wanting to run OpenBSD "in the cloud"
should remember that a secure OS is not enough; the platform is runs on
must be trustworthy as well. This has been discussed, or at least
virtualization has, many times over the years on this mailing list. We
do our best to mitigate the risks and still have the benefits of
virtualzation - it's a fine line that different opinions may draw at
different points.

<plug>If anybody from this list needs a VM, contact me and I'll see what
kind of deal I can make you.</plug>

--
James Shupe, HermeTek
developer/ engineer