OpenBSD Strage Problem

peterwkc
Hello all expert network administrator, i truly new to openbsd. I have some dhcp problem. http://forums.bsdnexus.com/viewtopic.php?id=1858

Re: OpenBSD Strage Problem

stolendata.net
"I think my dns file in openbsd has deleted. Where is the file for dns server. "

For what it's worth, this file is /etc/resolv.conf
Drop one DNS-server per line, and optionally add "lookup file bind" as
first line if you wish to have your own entires in /etc/hosts to be
read before asking the nameservers.

-SD

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Peter_APIIT <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all expert network administrator, i truly new to openbsd.
>
>  I have some dhcp problem.
>
>  http://forums.bsdnexus.com/viewtopic.php?id=1858

Re: OpenBSD Strage Problem

bofh-6
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Peter_APIIT <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all expert network administrator, i truly new to openbsd.
>
> I have some dhcp problem.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it very rude to go ask for help
by saying "here, go to this site, register and login and then help me"

--
http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk
learn french:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1G-3laJJP0&feature=related

Re: OpenBSD Strage Problem

peterwkc
Why need to add "lookup file bind: to /etc/hosts and not /etc/resolv.conf.

I my file is not deleted. It is there but my lAN cannot browse.

What is the reason ?

Can ping from both way.

A billion thanks for your help.

Re: OpenBSD Strage Problem

peterwkc
A billion sorry to you.

Let me explain my problem to you.

I have openbsd 4.1 with two internal nic which is Wired and Wireless.

My wireless suddenly cannot become an access point. Previously, it can be an access point. I think openbsd cannot parse the /etc/hostname.ral0(Linksys WLMP-54GS).

I try to delete and recreate the file but still no luck.

Before this incident, when i delete ral0 file and reboot. I need to manually ifconfig address to wireless, then second time it will know how to parse the file and no need me to ifconfig for second time.

This is a second problem which is ping to openbsd from client and ping to client from openbsd. All ok but cannot browse or ping my ISP DNS server.

Below is my DHCP.conf

// General ISP nameserver here
// authoriative; I temporalily uncomment it.

// Wired
subnet 172.16.0.0.0 netmask 255.240.0.0
{

     options routers 172.16.10.1;
}

// I use fixed address which is

 host xxxx
{
  // statement here
}

// Wireless

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0
{
    options routers 192.168.5.1
}

// i use fixed address here for wireless MAC filtering

   host xxx
{
   // hardware-ethernet 6454;
   // fixed address 192.168.5.10;
}

I try to off the firewall and use dhcpd -d to debug but no error message from stdout.

My /etc/hostname.rl1 (Internal interface)
inet 172.168.10.1 255.240.0.0 NONE

/etc/hostname.ral0 :
inet 192.168.5.1 255.255.0.0 NONE and some other options to become as access point.

I check dmesg and my wireless card can detect by openbsd.

I off other services such as portsentry.

After setting up this router, i will contirubte back to openbsd by set up Tor relay and let other benefits.

If you need further information, please do not hesitate to request here.

A billion thanks for your help.
I truly need your help.

Re: OpenBSD Strage Problem

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
Peter_APIIT <[hidden email]> writes:

> My wireless suddenly cannot become an access point. Previously, it can be an
> access point.

just to eliminate the obvious: you have checked that packet forwarding
is enabled?

as in

$ sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

and checking the relevant lines in your sysctl.conf.

It is odd if it stopped working, though.  Could the problem be at the
client side? Are you able to connect to other wireless networks using
the same client machines?

<plug type="shameless">
Other than that, you may or may not find the wireless parts of
<http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/> useful (my pf tutorial, with a few
other bits thrown in, you may want to head straight for
<http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/en/wireless.simple.html> or
<http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/en/wireless.simple.setup.html>, or even
buy the tutorial's book descendant
</plug>

Re: OpenBSD Strage Problem

peterwkc

just to eliminate the obvious: you have checked that packet forwarding
is enabled?

Yes it is enable.

My client is function properly. Let me try to put "up" in the hostname.ral0 file and see if this help.

Why my wired connection can ping from both way but cannot browse ?

A billion thanks for your help.

Re: OpenBSD Strage Problem

danno
And now you have entered the world of Peter. Welcome. Kindly check your
sanity at the door.

On BSDforums.org a few of us have tried to help him... I'm sorry, but
I've reached the conclusion that he is, well, beyond help. He doesn't
listen, and kluges and compounds his problems endlessly. Peter is what I
refer to as a "support black hole."

"A billion thanks" (a common tagline of his) if he stops requesting help
when he's not going to follow anyone's advice.

danno
wrote:

> Hello all expert network administrator, i truly new to openbsd.
>
> I have some dhcp problem.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it very rude to go ask for
help
by saying "here, go to this site, register and login and then help me"

Re: OpenBSD Strage Problem

peterwkc

Peter_APIIT wrote
Hello all expert network administrator, i truly new to openbsd.

I have some dhcp problem.

http://forums.bsdnexus.com/viewtopic.php?id=1858
I try it with windows box, it say limited connectivity but Fedora 7 can get ip address.

Moreover, my wireless cannot up and function as an access point.

I have no idea why.

I try it with danno method which put ; after close brace.

Re: OpenBSD Strage Problem

peterwkc

Peter_APIIT wrote
Peter_APIIT wrote
Hello all expert network administrator, i truly new to openbsd.

I have some dhcp problem.

http://forums.bsdnexus.com/viewtopic.php?id=1858
I try it with windows box, it say limited connectivity but Fedora 7 can get ip address.

Moreover, my wireless cannot up and function as an access point.

I have no idea why.

I try it with danno method which put ; after close brace.

I have remove semicolon after braces then i can get an ip address from dhcp server but cannot browse. I can ping from both way. I try it with pf off and on but still cannot resolve this problem.

Dhcpd -d give me this error

Quote:
can't listen to rl0 - 192.168.1.2 has no subnet declaration in dhcpd.conf

Obviously, i didn't add this rl0 to dhcpd.interfces file but it still function odd.

rl0 is my external interface where get ip from my modem. by hostname.rl0 dhcp NONE NONE NONE

Thanks for your help.