OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Jay Williams
I like putting stickers on my laptop, but alas after searching high and
low over the internet I wasn't able to find any good OpenBSD stickers
So, I got a few printed up myself at StickerMule so now all of my laptops
and even my car can show support for OpenBSD.

That being said, I have 7 extra Puffy stickers available if anyone else
would like to have one. They're 3" wide, and have a matte UV coating on
the outside, so they'll work indoors or outdoors.

If you'd like one, you can send me your address, and I'll drop one in
the mail for you. Even better, you can make a donation to the OpenBSD
Foundation as "payment." It's my small way of saying thank you to the
amazing OpenBSD community.

--
Jay Williams

P.S. Does anyone know why the official OpenBSD store doesn't sell
stickers? I bet they'd be a big seller!

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Ingo Schwarze
Hi,

Jay Williams wrote on Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:34:21AM -0600:

> P.S. Does anyone know why the official OpenBSD store doesn't sell
> stickers? I bet they'd be a big seller!

People loved them while they were still sold, but in the end, even
though they were accompanied by installable CDs sets also containing
the source tree, they no longer generated enough revenue to justify
the investment in terms of time and money required to produce them.

Yours,
  Ingo

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Rupert Gallagher
Don't give up on marketing.

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

> Hi, Jay Williams wrote on Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:34:21AM -0600: > P.S. Does anyone know why the official OpenBSD store doesn't sell > stickers? I bet they'd be a big seller! People loved them while they were still sold, but in the end, even though they were accompanied by installable CDs sets also containing the source tree, they no longer generated enough revenue to justify the investment in terms of time and money required to produce them. Yours, Ingo

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

webmaster

Really?
I can count on one hand the number of people since I started using it
that
would let me boot OpenBSD off of a USB stick.

OpenBSD users and developers wander in on their own accord.
There is just something to fall in love with seeing things like code
audit,
security, cryptography that the US wants to stop.
The website is all the marketing that's needed.

Feeling secure,
Chris Bennett

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Flipchan
Was stickermule good ? Good quality ?

Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Jay Williams
StickerMule was fantastic. I can't remember the last time I've been more
impressed by an ordering process and professional service. The stickers look
fantastic too, so no complaints from me.

By the way, there are two stickers lefts up for grabs.

--
Jay Williams

> On Nov 30, 2017, at 2:48 PM, flipchan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Was stickermule good ? Good quality ?
>
> On November 29, 2017 6:34:21 PM GMT+01:00, Jay Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I like putting stickers on my laptop, but alas after searching high and
>> low over the internet I wasn't able to find any good OpenBSD stickers
>> So, I got a few printed up myself at StickerMule so now all of my
>> laptops
>> and even my car can show support for OpenBSD.
>>
>> That being said, I have 7 extra Puffy stickers available if anyone else
>> would like to have one. They're 3" wide, and have a matte UV coating on
>> the outside, so they'll work indoors or outdoors.
>>
>> If you'd like one, you can send me your address, and I'll drop one in
>> the mail for you. Even better, you can make a donation to the OpenBSD
>> Foundation as "payment." It's my small way of saying thank you to the
>> amazing OpenBSD community.
>>
>> --
>> Jay Williams
>>
>> P.S. Does anyone know why the official OpenBSD store doesn't sell
>> stickers? I bet they'd be a big seller!

> Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

x9p-2
+1 for stickers. I would buy them.

cheers.

x9p

> I like putting stickers on my laptop, but alas after searching high and
> low over the internet I wasn't able to find any good OpenBSD stickers
> So, I got a few printed up myself at StickerMule so now all of my laptops
> and even my car can show support for OpenBSD.
>
> That being said, I have 7 extra Puffy stickers available if anyone else
> would like to have one. They're 3" wide, and have a matte UV coating on
> the outside, so they'll work indoors or outdoors.
>
> If you'd like one, you can send me your address, and I'll drop one in
> the mail for you. Even better, you can make a donation to the OpenBSD
> Foundation as "payment." It's my small way of saying thank you to the
> amazing OpenBSD community.
>
> --
> Jay Williams
>
> P.S. Does anyone know why the official OpenBSD store doesn't sell
> stickers? I bet they'd be a big seller!

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Mikko Laine
"x9p" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for stickers. I would buy them.

As would I. Sports bottles cannot sell better than strickers, can they?

--
  Mikko Laine
  http://mlaine.sdfeu.org/

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Theo de Raadt-2
>Jay Williams wrote on Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:34:21AM -0600:
>
>> P.S. Does anyone know why the official OpenBSD store doesn't sell
>> stickers? I bet they'd be a big seller!
>
>People loved them while they were still sold, but in the end, even
>though they were accompanied by installable CDs sets also containing
>the source tree, they no longer generated enough revenue to justify
>the investment in terms of time and money required to produce them.

During that time, people would buy stickers from shops that used
our art without permission.  And didn't give back.

Now, people are chatting about buying them from stores that don't give
a cent back.  Basically, they are copyright violations.  Unauthorized.
Theft.  I paid people to draw them.

It was a loss-generating venture.

I learned my lesson.  I won't put any effort into anything like that
again, because I don't like being stabbed in the back by community
who will buy from people who steal from me.

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Jay Williams
Currently the OpenBSD store has mugs, t-shirts, posters, and CDs. All of
those require more expense than stickers. Stickers are rather inexpensive
to produce, can be sold for high markup, and cost very little to ship, not
to mention are very popular, especially in the tech industry.

It wouldn't require any new artwork or commissions. If you were to sell
Puffy stickers or OpenBSD Logo stickers I'm sure they'd be top-sellers.

Case in point, UnixStickers.com charges $2.69 per sticker and that doesn't
include shipping.

--
Jay Williams

> On Nov 30, 2017, at 6:44 PM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jay Williams wrote on Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:34:21AM -0600:
>>
>>> P.S. Does anyone know why the official OpenBSD store doesn't sell
>>> stickers? I bet they'd be a big seller!
>>
>> People loved them while they were still sold, but in the end, even
>> though they were accompanied by installable CDs sets also containing
>> the source tree, they no longer generated enough revenue to justify
>> the investment in terms of time and money required to produce them.
>
> During that time, people would buy stickers from shops that used
> our art without permission.  And didn't give back.
>
> Now, people are chatting about buying them from stores that don't give
> a cent back.  Basically, they are copyright violations.  Unauthorized.
> Theft.  I paid people to draw them.
>
> It was a loss-generating venture.
>
> I learned my lesson.  I won't put any effort into anything like that
> again, because I don't like being stabbed in the back by community
> who will buy from people who steal from me.

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Theo de Raadt-2
> Currently the OpenBSD store has mugs, t-shirts, posters, and CDs. All of
> those require more expense than stickers. Stickers are rather inexpensive
> to produce, can be sold for high markup, and cost very little to ship, not
> to mention are very popular, especially in the tech industry.
>
> It wouldn't require any new artwork or commissions. If you were to sell
> Puffy stickers or OpenBSD Logo stickers I'm sure they'd be top-sellers.
>
> Case in point, UnixStickers.com charges $2.69 per sticker and that doesn't
> include shipping.

Why should I do that?  You only thought of yourself.

What is in it for me?

NOTHING.

So why should I do this for you?

If you think I should, and you repeatedly send mails saying so I can
only conclude one thing:

You have a self-entitlement issue.

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Jay Williams
> Why should I do that?  You only thought of yourself.

Why then do you have any products on the OpenBSD store?

> What is in it for me?
>
> NOTHING.

The whole idea is to generate some extra cash for OpenBSD.

This little sticker giveaway has netted the OpenBSD Foundation at least
$50, some of which are first-time donors, all for some little pieces of
paper with adhesive on the back. My goal is not to rip off anyone, but
to help the project.

--
Jay Williams

> On Nov 30, 2017, at 10:07 PM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Currently the OpenBSD store has mugs, t-shirts, posters, and CDs. All of
>> those require more expense than stickers. Stickers are rather inexpensive
>> to produce, can be sold for high markup, and cost very little to ship, not
>> to mention are very popular, especially in the tech industry.
>>
>> It wouldn't require any new artwork or commissions. If you were to sell
>> Puffy stickers or OpenBSD Logo stickers I'm sure they'd be top-sellers.
>>
>> Case in point, UnixStickers.com charges $2.69 per sticker and that doesn't
>> include shipping.
>
> Why should I do that?  You only thought of yourself.
>
> What is in it for me?
>
> NOTHING.
>
> So why should I do this for you?
>
> If you think I should, and you repeatedly send mails saying so I can
> only conclude one thing:
>
> You have a self-entitlement issue.

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Theo de Raadt-2
> My goal is not to rip off anyone, but to help the project.

You cannot help the project by begging on a mailing list that
I partake in business.

Get over yourself Jay.

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Nicolai-8
On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 10:17:22PM -0600, Jay Williams wrote:
> > Why should I do that?  You only thought of yourself.
>
> Why then do you have any products on the OpenBSD store?

In a previous mail from Theo in this thread, he stated that stickers
were "a loss-generating venture."  You responded by top-posting, stating
that "I'm sure they'd be top-sellers."  Didn't seem like you read his
mail.

Feel free to pay an artist to create original artwork and then sell that
artwork as stickers, and then donate all the money to OpenBSD.  THAT is
how you can accomplish your goal of funding OpenBSD - you don't need to
debate anyone here.  Just do it.

Theo said he won't do it.  You may as well argue with him about what his
favorite music is or something else that's entirely up to him... these
kinds of things aren't debatable issues.

Un-asked for advice is nearly always bad advice.

Nicolai

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Richard Thornton-3
I don't like stickers on my computers.  I don't do bumper stickers either.

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 11:29 PM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > My goal is not to rip off anyone, but to help the project.
>
> You cannot help the project by begging on a mailing list that
> I partake in business.
>
> Get over yourself Jay.

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Eric Furman-3
On Thu, Nov 30, 2017, at 11:07 PM, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> > Currently the OpenBSD store has mugs, t-shirts, posters, and CDs. All of
> > those require more expense than stickers. Stickers are rather inexpensive
> > to produce, can be sold for high markup, and cost very little to ship, not
> > to mention are very popular, especially in the tech industry.
> >
> > It wouldn't require any new artwork or commissions. If you were to sell
> > Puffy stickers or OpenBSD Logo stickers I'm sure they'd be top-sellers.
> >
> > Case in point, UnixStickers.com charges $2.69 per sticker and that doesn't
> > include shipping.
>
> Why should I do that?  You only thought of yourself.
>
> What is in it for me?
>
> NOTHING.
>
> So why should I do this for you?
>
> If you think I should, and you repeatedly send mails saying so I can
> only conclude one thing:
>
> You have a self-entitlement issue.

This *MIGHT* be a great idea, buuuuuuuuut...
WHO IS GOING TO DO IT?
I don't want Theo or any of the Devs wasting their time doing crap like
this
that might just turn out to be a wast of time. They should be coding.
People are always asking "What can I do to help the Project"?
What people can do is to DO something and not talk about it.
So, make a batch of stickers yourself and sell them on ebay.
Then you can see for yourself just how Big A Seller they can be.
I'm going to bet that it will turn out to take a lot more time and
effort than you think and that it will turn very little if any profit.
But hey, don't let me stop you.
Good luck.

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Rudy Baker
Alright guys, he gets it. I wouldn't want to have to read two obligatory
leaving letters in one week :)

On Dec 1, 2017 1:31 AM, "Eric Furman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017, at 11:07 PM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > Currently the OpenBSD store has mugs, t-shirts, posters, and CDs. All of
> > those require more expense than stickers. Stickers are rather
inexpensive
> > to produce, can be sold for high markup, and cost very little to ship,
not
> > to mention are very popular, especially in the tech industry.
> >
> > It wouldn't require any new artwork or commissions. If you were to sell
> > Puffy stickers or OpenBSD Logo stickers I'm sure they'd be top-sellers.
> >
> > Case in point, UnixStickers.com charges $2.69 per sticker and that
doesn't

> > include shipping.
>
> Why should I do that?  You only thought of yourself.
>
> What is in it for me?
>
> NOTHING.
>
> So why should I do this for you?
>
> If you think I should, and you repeatedly send mails saying so I can
> only conclude one thing:
>
> You have a self-entitlement issue.

This *MIGHT* be a great idea, buuuuuuuuut...
WHO IS GOING TO DO IT?
I don't want Theo or any of the Devs wasting their time doing crap like
this
that might just turn out to be a wast of time. They should be coding.
People are always asking "What can I do to help the Project"?
What people can do is to DO something and not talk about it.
So, make a batch of stickers yourself and sell them on ebay.
Then you can see for yourself just how Big A Seller they can be.
I'm going to bet that it will turn out to take a lot more time and
effort than you think and that it will turn very little if any profit.
But hey, don't let me stop you.
Good luck.

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Eric Furman-3
On Fri, Dec 1, 2017, at 02:50 AM, Rudy Baker wrote:

> Alright guys, he gets it. I wouldn't want to have to read two obligatory
> leaving letters in one week :)
>

> On Dec 1, 2017 1:31 AM, "Eric Furman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017, at 11:07 PM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > > Currently the OpenBSD store has mugs, t-shirts, posters, and CDs. All of
> > > those require more expense than stickers. Stickers are rather
> inexpensive
> > > to produce, can be sold for high markup, and cost very little to ship,
> not
> > > to mention are very popular, especially in the tech industry.
> > >
> > > It wouldn't require any new artwork or commissions. If you were to sell
> > > Puffy stickers or OpenBSD Logo stickers I'm sure they'd be top-sellers.
> > >
> > > Case in point, UnixStickers.com charges $2.69 per sticker and that
> doesn't
> > > include shipping.
> >
> > Why should I do that?  You only thought of yourself.
> >
> > What is in it for me?
> >
> > NOTHING.
> >
> > So why should I do this for you?
> >
> > If you think I should, and you repeatedly send mails saying so I can
> > only conclude one thing:
> >
> > You have a self-entitlement issue.
> >

> This *MIGHT* be a great idea, buuuuuuuuut...
> WHO IS GOING TO DO IT?
> I don't want Theo or any of the Devs wasting their time doing crap like
> this
> that might just turn out to be a wast of time. They should be coding.
> People are always asking "What can I do to help the Project"?
> What people can do is to DO something and not talk about it.
> So, make a batch of stickers yourself and sell them on ebay.
> Then you can see for yourself just how Big A Seller they can be.
> I'm going to bet that it will turn out to take a lot more time and
> effort than you think and that it will turn very little if any profit.
> But hey, don't let me stop you.
> Good luck.

You misunderstand.
I am genuinely trying to give good advice.
I wish him real Good Luck.

I will freely admit,  I am all talk and no action.
My contributions to Obsd over the last 20 years
are nothing more than monetary and hardware
donations. But I will wager that is more than
most of you F****** have done.

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

x9p-2
ego is a bitch. lets have a beer and live in peace. its friday.

cheers.

x9p

> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017, at 02:50 AM, Rudy Baker wrote:
>> Alright guys, he gets it. I wouldn't want to have to read two obligatory
>> leaving letters in one week :)

>> All of
>> inexpensive
>> ship,
>> not

>> sell
>> top-sellers.

>> doesn't
>> >
>> > Why should I do that?  You only thought of yourself.
>> >
>> > What is in it for me?
>> >
>> > NOTHING.
>> >
>> > So why should I do this for you?
>> >
>> > If you think I should, and you repeatedly send mails saying so I can
>> > only conclude one thing:
>> >
>> > You have a self-entitlement issue.
>> >

>> This *MIGHT* be a great idea, buuuuuuuuut...
>> WHO IS GOING TO DO IT?
>> I don't want Theo or any of the Devs wasting their time doing crap like
>> this
>> that might just turn out to be a wast of time. They should be coding.
>> People are always asking "What can I do to help the Project"?
>> What people can do is to DO something and not talk about it.
>> So, make a batch of stickers yourself and sell them on ebay.
>> Then you can see for yourself just how Big A Seller they can be.
>> I'm going to bet that it will turn out to take a lot more time and
>> effort than you think and that it will turn very little if any profit.
>> But hey, don't let me stop you.
>> Good luck.
>
> You misunderstand.
> I am genuinely trying to give good advice.
> I wish him real Good Luck.
>

> I will freely admit,  I am all talk and no action.
> My contributions to Obsd over the last 20 years
> are nothing more than monetary and hardware
> donations. But I will wager that is more than
> most of you F****** have done.

Re: OpenBSD Puffy Stickers

Roderick

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017, x9p wrote:

> ego is a bitch. lets have a beer and live in peace. its friday.

بالصحة و العافية