OpenBSD Memory Sniffer Protection

Michael Seney
Recently I have taken notice in a growing number of articles concerning memory
sniffing threats. Today's post at The Register they talk about the DaisyDukes
memory sniffer. Is this truly a threat if I am running OpenBSD?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/28/memory_sniffer_unveiled/

http://citp.princeton.edu/memory/

---------------------------------
Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

Re: OpenBSD Memory Sniffer Protection

Steven Shockley
Michael Seney wrote:
> Recently I have taken notice in a growing number of articles
> concerning memory sniffing threats. Today's post at The Register they
> talk about the DaisyDukes memory sniffer. Is this truly a threat if I
> am running OpenBSD?

Your message at 9:00 wasn't enough, so you sent another one at 9:22?

If someone can kick your machine, your choice of OS doesn't matter.

Re: OpenBSD Memory Sniffer Protection

peterwkc
At least, disallow hacker to physical touch your OpenBSD box.

You be free of threat.

Re: OpenBSD Memory Sniffer Protection

Michael Seney
No I thought I was already registered to misc when I sent that  and then noticed
that it didn't post. So I registered thinking that first message would never
post and sent another.

Steve Shockley <[hidden email]> wrote:Your message at 9:00 wasn't enough, so you sent another one at 9:22?

If someone can kick your machine, your choice of OS doesn't matter.

---------------------------------
Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Re: OpenBSD Memory Sniffer Protection

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
Michael Seney <[hidden email]> writes:

> No I thought I was already registered to misc when I sent that  and then noticed
> that it didn't post. So I registered thinking that first message would never
> post and sent another.

What you're describing is most likely just normal greylisting
behavior.  If your IP address (or that of your outgoing SMTP box)
hasn't sent mail to the server that hosts misc@ for a while, there
will be an initial delay equal to minwait plus whatever random factors
determine sender's retry interval.